It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mount Saint Helen's eruption may rival 1980 eruption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Looks like quite a change in earlier predictions...

MOUNT ST. HELENS, Wash. -- Scientists said the earthquakes and explosions at Mount St. Helens could lead to an eruption as powerful as the one in 1980, KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reported.

Nobody seems to know exactly what is going on here...but I think the media has lulled people into a sense of complacency about this volcano. Hopefully it won't catch too many people by surprise.

Full Article

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This is my guess... and it is just a guess. The event will not rival 1980 because the dynamics have changed. However I think unlike 1980 this event may be much more colorful. Lava.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Is there still enough pressure left with all the venting it's been doing? If so, I hope they get the area evacuated in time.

E_T

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
Is there still enough pressure left with all the venting it's been doing?

This is what releasing pressure means:

volcano.und.nodak.edu...

Activity before its eruption lasted about two months and had also more quieter periods.
vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I don't think it will rival 1980. Having lived here my entire life, I've been through it. In my opinion, this will be another dome building event with minor eruptions of steam and ash.

We survived 1980, we'll survive this. Thanks for the attention. Move along, there's nothing to see here.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   
It might set off Yellowstone, or even kracotoa for that matter...

new topics

top topics

join