It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Throwing you guys a bone; Conspiracy Style...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Well it's Friday Night again, and I thought all you Metal/Rock guitar players could use a new song to add to your set. How about "Symphony of Destruction" by Megadeth?

I learned most of my songs by watching other guitarists in night clubs. Although it's a lot of fun at times, it can get expensive. But you also never know who'll you see, so it was an awesome past-time in my younger days. In Augusta Georgia I got to see "White Witch", a minor rock band at the time, but they had an absolutely dynamic stage show. Serious entertainment down at The Whippin' Post, a small night club in the 70's. I got to see Pat Benatar and Rick Derringer in night clubs in Worcester/Fitchburg, Massachussets; like I said - you never know.

These days you don't even have to leave home to learn new songs, and it doesn't cost a thing. These online "lessons" if you will, can be played while you learn in the comfort of your home. With free tablature as well and backing tracks; you're set.

Some people play guitar; some are guitarists. NeoGeoFanatic is a guitarist. The whole performance is awesome; especially the intricate lead break! Symphony of Destruction is classic Megadeth magic, and easy to relate to if you're a conspiracy theorist too. Enjoy...

Well, I ran on so long that it's now Saturday Morning... It was worth it...

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This obviously wouldn't be complete without the tablature. If you're new to "tabs", they're somewhat easier to learn new songs from than standard musical notation. Here's the link:

Tablature

Lyrics

When working with tabs you should take note of the tuning for each song. You can always find the tuning at the beginning of each tab. If the tuning is not listed, as in the tab I've posted; the song is played in standard tuning...

Here's a link which explains guitar tablature notation for reference:

Tablature Explanation

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Very cool video ,thanks for reigniting my amp with some new blood .Always liked Megadeth and have this album .
just what i needed .

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I ran across this guy NeoGeoFanatic on youtube searching for videos to practice with. He has a lot of good songs posted. This one seemed to be relevant to the topics we discuss here so I figured it would be a good start. I'll post some others soon...

I always use ultimate-guitar.com for free tabs, but they're all reader submitted so you have to look to find the best ones. I've found some that are totally off. I play along with the videos I can find, but there are free backing tracks to play along with for most popular songs. Some of them suck, but others are pretty good. It's a matter of having the time to search for what you need really.

I'll be 52 in September, and I wish we had internet and youtube videos to learn from when I was young. I started out in 1971 with two years of private lessons, but we mostly learned German folk songs (actually I loved them). Later on I started watching guys at the clubs like I said earlier. Videos would have been a blessing!

Feel free to add to the thread if you find something kickin'.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Although it's not a conspiracy theme, who doesn't want to play "Mama I'm Coming Home" by Ozzy Osbourne?

This lesson by Andre Netto from unitedwetab.com is as good as it gets. The free tablature that I downloaded sucked, and was completely off. I was however able to figure the song out watching Andre. These guys have official tablature available at their site for 99 cents per song, which ain't bad. Enjoy...

This is a great song to add to your set!!!
edit on 7/25/2012 by visualmiscreant because: added content

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

Thanks ,another one to try .
i also like this one from Randy Rhoads .
crazy train
tabs.ultimate-guitar.com...
Not quite sure who this is, playing but he is pretty damn good
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I love this song. I learned it many years ago from a neighbor. I had learned the song wrong however, and later on I bought a Guitar mag that had the tabs. He and I were trying to get together and do something. He got hired to a band in Texas, and I went to another band in Alabama for a short while.

Thanks for adding this..

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

Hey ,I wanted to add some more music because i think your thread will make the perfect place to build a collection of great guitar songs to learn. The internet here has been on and off lately so its hard to link up some vids.but i will get around to adding more soon.
I am 40ish and my guitar schooling was done with tab books in the 80's mainly Metallica,Black Sabbath AC/DC but i enjoy many different genres of music including the big bands of the time like Toto,Foreigner,10cc etc.
By no means an expert player but not bad on the power chords and riffs.
I have a 25 year old Yamaha guitar and a Crate 212 amp.
Anyway rock on.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Add away my friend. I've been busy with other threads, and haven't put much thought into my next addition. I'm similar to you as well. I played rhythm for my brief band experience; truly it's my favorite anyway. I play lead as well, but don't practice it much. I'll be 52 in September, and I've been playing the same songs forever. Without learning something new once in awhile, I tend not to play as much. To me that's sad; my guitars have been my best friends for so many years.

One of the good things about these videos or even the backing tracks, is that they allow me to practice the lead parts with "something" going on in the background. That held me back for many years, and is probably why I always just learned the rhythm parts on many songs. Back when I was young all we had was cassette tapes. They weren't as easy to use for backing as the cd's are these days. The videos and backing tracks though, are far superior. Having accurate tablature is another thing we didn't have back then. We had the normal musical scores which were difficult to learn from with any speed. I always got frustrated with them and hit the nightclubs...

I want to add a video by Alter Bridge, just so I cover acoustic stuff too. I haven't looked for the tabs yet, but I seriously love this song. One of our members here on ATS lost a close friend recently, and I can't keep the song out of my head because of this. This is a live acoustic version for now, and not really the best thing to learn from. I'll post a cover/lesson version later. This is for my own sentimental reasons; it touches me deeply...

Anyway, here it is guys "Watch Over You" by Alter Bridge. I'll also post the tabs later if they can be found.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

By the way, I've been told that guitars don't reach their best tonal quality until they're around twenty years old. Right now I'm playing a 2000 model Ibanez RG570 which has been through hell and back; I don't even want to talk about the amp...

I also have a Hyundai Acoustic, which was a gift from a guy who has a prison ministry. He was a major drug dealer at one time, but now spends every moment of his life helping young men get their act together. He has truly been a blessing to many, including myself.

edit on 8/1/2012 by visualmiscreant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Here's an excellent video lesson for Alter Bridge's "Watch Over You" as promised. This lesson was uploaded by underdog7676, and he does a very good job explaining what's going on in this song. To begin with, it's in an alternate tuning... Yeah, I know that sucks, but that's the reality of playing other people's songs. Before you start, you'll have to tune the guitar to open G. From top to bottom, that will be D/G/D/G/B/D.

And here's a link to the tablature:

Tablature

The song is pretty straight forward, and you should be able to pick it up quickly.

I'll add some other acoustic songs soon enough, but for the next addition, I'd like to change pace just a little. I'm thinking about a song with a lot of slick fills, and a 50's style sound; something to get people on the dance floor...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
You find out quickly when you start playing the clubs, that your job is to sell more beer; plain and simple. Clubs with a dance floor make this easy enough. You have to have songs in your set that make women shake their butts; the men will be right behind them, trust me. This has always been one of the secrets to being successful in night clubs. Not only does the audience have more fun, but they get thirsty quicker and you sell more beer.

This is one of those songs by the way. I personally love to dance, and I just can't sit still when the band fires off on "Rock This Town" by The Stray Cats. This cover by MyTwangyGuitar is as good as it gets. This guy has lots of other great songs on his channel, so don't forget to check them out as well.

Although we'd all love to own a Gretsch hollow body, the people at the night club will never know the difference. Here's a link to the tabs:

Tablature

Keep in mind that the tablature on the site I use is submitted by users, and will sometimes have mistakes. There are other sites to download tabs from if you prefer...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Ok ,here is Jukebox Hero by Foreigner
.I was just playing the cassette on my old Walkman and it really needs to be cranked to eleven to get the full effect.
The YT vid I found is a bit different but it is the original song and the Tab should be fairly accurate, I hope.
Enjoy
www.youtube.com...

I will throw in this vid cover for some visual learning reference
www.youtube.com...

Guitar tabrock.totaltabs.com...
edit on 2-8-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
another favourite of mine and a classic
www.youtube.com...

close up solo with tab
www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Foreigner and Bad Company are two of my favorites from way back. There is a guitarist who has a lot of their covers/lessons uploaded. His username is privettricker, and he has over 1000 video guitar lessons/covers to learn from. You should check out his channel on youtube...

Here he is with "Shooting Star" by Bad Company...

Most of the Bad Company and Foreigner stuff is pretty straight forward, and should be fairly easy to learn...
Here's the link to the tabs:

Tablature

These old covers are what people are looking to hear at most night clubs, and you should have as many of them down as possible.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
How can you get enough Ozzy? With all the legendary guitar players that toured and recorded with him, Ozzy really had it going on. Barberryman, The fellow playing this cover of "Shot In The Dark" looks like a State Trooper, but he does an excellent job I think. He's not using the original tuning, instead playing it in E flat. I'll try to get a copy of both Tablatures for this if available. He's pretty easy to follow in full-screen, so Tabs may not be necessary for everyone...

Wow, looks like everybody has their own ideas when it comes to the Tablature for this. Here is one version of an alternate tuning Tab...

Alt-tuning Tablature

Here's another version of alternately tuned Tabs...

Alt-tuning 2 Tablature

Yet another. I'm gonna learn it from the video myself...

Alt-tuning 3 Tablature

edit on 8/27/2012 by visualmiscreant because: (no reason given)

top topics

join