It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanatophobia-Fear Of Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This may seem like a post from Magestica, but it's not.
For me it's easier to show my weaknesses to strangers rather than to the people I love and cherish. Don't get me wrong I have consulted with most of them.

Here's my problem:

I am a 29 year old male and have had numerous dreams of apocalyptic nature since I was 13. These dreams, I believe, instilled an awesome fear-of-death outlook into my life.

Things have gotten worse lately (maybe because of the war) My dreams are becoming more realistic and much more frightening. Death is usually a once-an-hour thought for the past 8 weeks. I can't seem to shake this, am I silly for having this fear?

I know that someday I will die.
Everyone does right? I have been trying to tell myself that it will be an amazing experience while i'm dying and to look forward to it.

does anyone know of anything that could help? Or, even better, can anyone relate to me?

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Sometimes I am like that. It is one of the least fun moods I am in.

The advice I give you is to calm down. There is nothing you can do about it if the apocolypse is what is going to kill you.

I realized that worrying about it just makes it worse. Try meditating, or exercising. It works pretty well.

Good luck to you, hope you feel better.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I have had a couple of end of the type dreams in my life.And they left me kind of shaken for a couple of days after the dream.But then the feeling of dread just dissipated.
When I was 29 I was more freaked out about becoming 30,for most of my life I never thought I would live to see it.I wasn't always the nice guy everbody knows and loves today.

I don't know if I can relate to you as far as the dreams go,but not a day goes by that I don,t think about dying.Is today the day,how is going to happen,stuff like that.So you certainly are not alone.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'm today 28 and I still remember these seconds like it was yesterday. A big crash, we crashed in a truck in the pyr�n�es mountains... And I'm really remember that I really tought, while these seconds that my life was over.

And since this day, I'd never have the fear of the death. Of course, I dont take stupid risk or dont try somethings that I wont feel but I'd never have fear to die. I have a quiet point of view about death.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Joe-your input made me realize that maybe: I fear death because it is out of my control.

Nyeff, I am curious as to what prompts your thoughts of death on a regular basis. For me, most of the time, it just enters my mind, kind of like a sub-conscious clock goes off in my head and the thought magically appears in my conscious mind. The other times it happens is when I go to sleep and when I try to induce meditation or lucid dreaming.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It happens when you try to meditate? That's odd, usually meditation relaxes you, clears your mind. Have you ever tried to use a candle? It worked really well for me to get started. It helped me concentrate on one thing, then I attempted to forget about that one thing while meditating so I can clear my mind.(still working on that, it's pretty hard)

Once again, hope you feel better, or find you center, or some other soothing thing that I could say.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Well I will try to give you an honest answer,but I'm not sure that I know why,exactly.I have never had fear of death,just the realization that it is going to happen at some point.I have danced with death on a lot of occasions,somewhat intentionally.I have in my life been pistol whipped,been in many fights with many differant weapons and here is shocker to some of you people considering my views are right winged to say the least I spent 15 years of my life high as kite.When you live a life like that for that many years death is never far behind.Half of my friends that I went to school with are dead.Suicide,train wrecks and overdoses were pretty common.
So I guess its just knowing that death is so easy to achieve,that it stays with me everyday.I also have a wife and two children and wonder sometimes if I will live to see them grow up.Its the only time dying really scares me,when I think about my children.And wonder if my punishment for screwing up and hurting lots of people will be not being able see my children get old.
Well I suppose I said more than wanted too,but at least its honest.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by 29MV29
Thanatophobia-Fear Of Death

Well, I saw The Death many times, especially mine. And I'm NOT kidding ! Car crashs, motorcycle accidents, parachute accident ( it didn't open correctly this bastard
), at sea, in a swimingpool, a Leopard 1 MBT tank has * tryed * to run over me, and 2 times, I've heard some bullets flying over my head.

As you can see, I'm still living and I'm in good wealth and shape.

I just can tell you this : We are all gonna die, and when it's your turn, it's your turn. May be today, may be tomorrow,may be in 50 years.....who knows ? So, try to stay cool.

P.S : I just had 1 nightmare about a possible apocalypse. It happened some month ago now, and it never came back.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix

Well, I saw The Death many times, especially mine. And I'm NOT kidding ! Car crashs, motorcycle accidents, parachute accident ( it didn't open correctly this bastard, (he have sequels...) ), at sea, in a swimingpool, a Leopard 1 MBT tank has * tryed * to run over me, and 2 times, I've heard some bullets flying over my head. (Ho # even the belgium army missed him! )

As you can see, I'm still living and I'm in good wealth and shape, relatively weird everytime but cool .

HELAS !

I just can tell you this : We are all gonna die, and when it's your turn, it's your turn. May be today, may be tomorrow,may be in 50 years.....who knows ? So, try to stay cool.

P.S : I just had 1 nightmare about a possible apocalypse. It happened some month ago now, and it never came back.
(Dont be afraid, it will be back soon)

You are on the good path !
Next time, try to die !

[Edited on 25-4-2003 by Nans DESMICHELS]

[Edited on 25-4-2003 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS
You are on the good path !
Next time, try to die !

Nans, God is walking with me.

Normally, I had to be dead. Even in my familly, they don't understand why I'm still alive. Ok, I've some scars, but it's nothing. My mother told me that I don't have a lucky star. She told me that I have, over my head, a whole lucky galaxy, full of lucky stars.

That's why I think that God is walking with me ( or me with Him, it's like you want ).

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Heh..this may seem like a reply from "Magestica" and well...because it IS

Well obviously YOU know "I" can relate to you
...but anyway...

Dreams are important in more ways then we may think or know..they help us to release alot of pinned up animosity and stress, we can learn from dreams and confront our fears in dreams and thus helps us to become stronger subconsciously...which in turn helps us to become stronger on the outside(somewhat) Sometimes too..I think we see things in the past life(but that's just MY personal theory) So maybe alot of your dreams ARE from a lifetime before? Maybe someone elses..maybe your OWN..You obviously have a "fear" of death which *mutters under her breathe* I do too, but the GOOD news is you KNOW this, therefore YOU can face that fear and it will in time...diminish, possibly through *help* of dreams and discussion with err..people like me
*course that is..if you take me seriously*
In any case...If "I" were you..I'd learn to "love" your dreams...good or bad, big or small...they hold alot of keys to our persona...and I don't care what ANYONE says...dreams ARE important or we simply wouldn't have them...
Sincerely, well..."you know who"

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by 29MV29
Things have gotten worse lately (maybe because of the war) My dreams are becoming more realistic and much more frightening. Death is usually a once-an-hour thought for the past 8 weeks. I can't seem to shake this, am I silly for having this fear?

Yes, I had them in the form of "night terrors" for about 20 years, and no I don't think you're silly.

One thing to check on is to have a physical including bloodwork. I notice that when my biochemistry is out of whack that I get these thoughts.

Another thing is to (seriously) get away from the conspiracy and apocalyptic stuff and start watching science programming or reading non-conspiracy/non-apocalyptic nonfiction. I recommend starting with Sagan's DEMON HAUNTED WORLD (borrow it from the library, if you haven't read it.)

The real danger in doom-and-apocalypse (which never actually comes) is that you get into such a dysfunctional mindset that you make your whole life much worse.

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Just think of it as more of an excuse to enjoy life while you're here...(not to excess of course, but try to find the good things, and enjoy thme, rather than dwell on bad "what-ifs")

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 10:10 AM
link   
29MV29.......you might find this of interest........hope this helps

another copy and paste.........

Regarding those who die and come to life again,
and how this happens by Divine Providence.
And how many times sinners while still
alive, beholding the torments of Hell
and the demons, shudder with
fear; and in this state of fear,
their souls depart
the body.

not all out of body...oobe.......is of God.......it's actually quite dangerous and subtly deceptive to the unknown person..........practising oobe is not recomended in Christianity because of the deception...........it may seem all good and proper at first.........(i have tried .....a few yrs back...

orthodoxinfo.com...

and here's another....

Reproduced below is an individual's description of his having been restored to life after dying, which was published by Mr. K. Uekskuell in the "Moscow Journal"
towards the end of the last century.

In 1916, Archbishop Nikon, a member of the Holy Synod, reprinted the article in his publication "Trinity Pages" with the following comments: "in regard to this narrative, in due time, we had correspondence with its author, who, after ascertaining its validity, testified that his subject, after relating his experience, entered into a monastery.

orthodoxinfo.com...

[Edited on 29-4-2003 by helen670]

top topics

join