It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets erase their existence from the world.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
After the horrible Columbine shootings, the killers had their faces featured on the cover of Time magazine. It seems the world rewards those who perform mass killings and such with the gift of publicity; their names and pictures become known to the world. They became famous and their fame has inspired others to follow in their footsteps as shown in the rash of school shootings after Columbine.

Jail time is not a deterrent for those who would perform such acts; many expect to be killed or to kill themselves in the commission of their crimes. Perhaps it is time to think outside the box in how to deal with such incidents, perhaps we should erase these people from existence, not by executing them but by erasing their names and images from the public record and refusing to name them in the press and the media.

What if the Penalty Were Certain Anonymity?

All we have to do is make a pact - all of us - all media sources, all bloggers, friends, family, etc. All we have to do is say that the name of any such shooter will never be mentioned again. He will not go down in history like Jesse James or Jack the Ripper. He won't go down in history at all. He will vanish. His story will never be told. The penalty is not just almost certain death. The penalty is certain anonymity. The shooter won't vanish from the mind or eye of God or his family - but he will from history.

Some of this - a good deal of this - is publicity driven. Done by young men who have added dazzling media images to their personal stock of inner darkness and rage. Without those images: of Columbine and Omaha and now Colorado - how many miserable 17 year olds will take that route? They usually do it after months and years of brooding upon such images and stories, seeing themselves as the anti-hero and revenger, whose spectacular end is reported 24/7 all over the world, and endlessly speculated about. A small child's "I'll show them!" magnified a billion times by CNN and FOX and the internet. Now it is "I'll show the world!".

What if we cut the supply? What if he knew for sure that no one would see, that no one would ever know his name, if he took this path? That no media report would ever mention his name or his family or his home town or his childhood or the people who bullied him at school or read the letter or video that he leaves behind. That his fantasies of finally being seen and recognized, of being the all powerful center of attention, could not happen this way. That he could not send a defiant message to the universe this way.

Siena.org

Maybe if we took away their 15 minutes of fame, this would discourage future crimes of this magnitude or at least the copy cats who seek to follow in their fame.

Perhaps the best way to deal with the trolls in life is the same way to best deal with them on the internet; ignore them and refuse to acknowledge their existence. We should still prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law and study their motivations to determine what led them to their crimes but, their names should never be mentioned and their pictures should never see the light of day in the media.

At least it would remove the reward of fame that many psychopaths seem to crave.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I agree with you to an extent... I feel a little guilty about hyping these things and there are people out there profiting on it. It is a national story but... we get amped up about things because if similar things were to happen a few hundred or more years ago it would be our neighbors and we would have to react and help them. Our psyche is not meant for this continual hypervivid input we get constantly now. No psychologist can have any idea what they're talking about because no humans have ever existed like we do now...

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I would be against such a thing, because I don't trust this government, the police, or the judiciary enough to allow their suspects to remain invisible to the public. It is the reason why I am against the death penalty, and for the second amendment--a very much deserved distrust.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

You make a good point; if we don't know their names or faces, it makes it easier for the gubment to sneak them away and use them for black budget protects, maybe even against the American people.

Still, something needs to be done to eliminate the immediate fame awarded to these scumbags. Right now, the killer's face is plastered all over the homepages of nearly every news outlet and on the front page of newspapers around the nation and even around the world.

You can be sure that, for the thousands of people out there who see his picture and react with revulsion, there is a small lunatic fringe who see him as some type of hero or martyr and dream about following in his footsteps. The fame he receives only makes the lunatics want to follow him more.

We need to find a way to stop rewarding killers with 15 minutes of fame.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by trysts

You make a good point; if we don't know their names or faces, it makes it easier for the gubment to sneak them away and use them for black budget protects, maybe even against the American people.

Still, something needs to be done to eliminate the immediate fame awarded to these scumbags. Right now, the killer's face is plastered all over the homepages of nearly every news outlet and on the front page of newspapers around the nation and even around the world.

You can be sure that, for the thousands of people out there who see his picture and react with revulsion, there is a small lunatic fringe who see him as some type of hero or martyr and dream about following in his footsteps. The fame he receives only makes the lunatics want to follow him more.

We need to find a way to stop rewarding killers with 15 minutes of fame.

The victims of this crime were watching a movie with their children hoping to be entertained by extreme violence. It's a sick irony, and a vicious circle. If the killer inspires twisted thinking from others, perhaps he was inspired from a society in love with violence.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
the guy said he was the joker and dyed his head red.

he is going to face the rest of his life in a maximum security prison, locked down 23 hrs a day with no human contact and 30 mins a day to walk around in a cement courtyard cage no bigger than the average living room.

i doubt he is feeling very famous now.

to answer why he did it, you have to ask yourself why he thought it would be a good idea to pretend to be the joker and shoot up a movie theatre.

he was influenced by extreme evil, he should have fought it to his last dying breath.

our leaders now why he did it, but they'll never tell you because either you believe or you don't.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
How about we break both of their legs and fly them to a remote Pacific island somewhere. Drop them there with some tools, food, water, and a gun with one bullet.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I don't think you can just hide everything away, far to open to abuse. people disappear as it is, no need to give them another string to their bow.

I also don't think they should get the death penalty either, its to easy a way out for tehm. I think they should be put fully in the public eye, webcammed to the world of having to do 16 hours very hard labour each day, so the world can watch them slowly rot and die in prison, that would kill the glory better

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

This would then make it easier for the people in power to send in any of their own people, without others knowing who it truly was.

join