It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAA Has Authorized 106 Government ‘Entities’ to Fly Domestic Drones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
CNS News -- july 20, 2012

FAA Has Authorized 106 Government ‘Entities’ to Fly Domestic Drones

(CNSNews.com) - Since Jan. 1 of this year, according to congressional testimony presented Thursday by the Government Accountability Office, the Federal Aviation Administration has authorized 106 federal, state and local government “entities” to fly “unmanned aircraft systems,” also known as drones, within U.S. airspace.

“We are now on the edge of a new horizon: using unmanned aerial systems within the homeland,” House Homeland Security Oversight Subcommittee Chairman Michael McCaul (R.-Texas) said as he introduced the testimony.

“Currently,” said McCaul, “there are about 200 active Certificates of Authorization issued by the Federal Aviation Administration to over 100 different entities, such as law enforcement departments and academic institutions, to fly drones domestically.”
(long article and interesting)

Well it seems a lot of people with connections will get rich off of this deal.

I wonder who the Lobbyists are?

I bet we start seeing crashes and "faulty" equipment reports very soon.

They article cites the "privacy" issues.

And what would "academic institutions" use a drone for anyway ?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I could easily see drones being used by academic institutions to study weather and climate.
Law enforcement will obviously use it for peeping.

Google earth using drones? Would be incredible to see, but ehhh...

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I agree OP.Wait till these things start crashing into houses before the people wake up.There is no reason to risk the public's safety with these things covering the skies.And who exactly are these 106 agencies that NEED these?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It's a bird, it's a plane, no it's a drone!

Those things will be fitted for many purposes including surveillance and tracking. I imagine they possess the ability of thermal imagery so even if it's dark out it can track anything, and I can only imagine what kind of night vision they have as it is.

If this is in the United States, it will be in Canada soon

I wish there was a way to shoot these things out of the sky.

Soon we will be like the 8 year old Pakistani kids walking home from school then "KABOOM!"

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Soon we will be like the 8 year old Pakistani kids walking home from school then "KABOOM!"

Those days might not be far away.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mikehawk

Those days might not be far away.

Sad but true.

Like I said, we need to find a way to shoot them out of the sky.

If this comes to my country there is no damned way my tax dollars will pay for this #!

LOL who am I kidding, I have no choice in the matter

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

And none of this happened before drones were around?

Police helicopters with infrared cameras didn't exist?

Planes with high definition imaging didn't exist?

Jet's didn't crash into residential buildings before?

Come on...

Yes this is unprecedented but you're acting as if all the things a drone can do, couldn't already be done...

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yes this is unprecedented but you're acting as if all the things a drone can do, couldn't already be done...

I'm not acting like that at all, you took my post out of context.

I'm well aware that these technologies have been around for a long while, but now they green light has been given for unmanned aircraft to patrol the skies in various areas. This is much different though. The helicopters and planes made noise even from high altitudes, and the cost to maintain these is expensive. For example, in my native British Columbia the police use helicopters to search for indoor grow ops using infrared/thermal imagery. These drones will save money over time, and will give them access they never had in the past.

Do you know how much paper work and funds it takes to get a team of choppers or planes for a reconnaissance mission? I don't claim to know the price or paperwork involved but I bet it's a lot of both. So let's imagine there are 106 different entities employing these machines for various reasons at a low cost rate since most the funding is coming from the government, this is not the same as you are trying to portray.

You can't downplay this as normal due to "existing technology. It's not about the tech, it's about the lawful allowance of this to happen. I believe you are in Australia, you're country isn't far behind. Police state for all, hope you enjoy.

"It's nothing, its been around for years. Nothing here to see move along."

edit on 20-7-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Mark this year in your notebooks. I think it will be noted in the future as the year of the drone. Presently, a simple civilian like most of us can plop down less than a grand, and with a laptop, and a little bit of tech savy, you can order and program a small quadcopter that can actually fly missions, programmed via a laptop and downloaded into them and can operate without radio control during the entire flight.

These things have: accelerometers, electronic compass, barometric/sonar altimeter, GPS, auto stabilizing gyros, inertial xyz sensing, microprocessor controlled autopilots, state of the art lithium ion batteries, brushless DC high RPM motors.... the list goes on. And, they can carry small digital camera's that have HD capability.... Yes, a whole new world is coming here, and it will be quite a ride to see how the government deals with it, because it is about to go viral as hell.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Come on...

You may have some valid points here. But.

We need to consider the Volume of drones that may be put into "use".

A helicopter or two once in a while is one thing.

What if we start seeing dozens of drones on regular schedules ?

And how about hackers getting control ?

How 'bout hackers getting the data transmissions and using the drones as weapons ?

Drones are 100% remote control and vulnerable.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

And how about hackers getting control ?

How 'bout hackers getting the data transmissions and using the drones as weapons ?

I never even though about that, but that's a really good point

On top of all the other issues, there is the vulnerability issues which cannot be ignored, and as the other poster mentioned there will always be mechanical malfunction. Imagine one of these crashing somewhere...chances are it would be empty land but many of these will be meant to be monitor urban areas so the chances of fatality can be increased in these areas.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Not so.
Drones available as of this year , in the public domain, can be autonomous.
They only need radio control to start a mission, and the rest is up to the ingenuity of the programmer.
They may be vulnerable, but try and track a thing that is the footprint of a foot square. They do not need lights, and they would present a radar profile that would require an extremely high PRF radar...... it is a scary thing.

Edit: High speed BDC motors do produce a heat signature, however, the equipment to detect this is priced at least 10x the cost of the drone.... a challenge that could probably be met if the circumstances warranted it.
edit on 20-7-2012 by charlyv because: added content for clarity

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Thanks for clearing that up.

I didn't know ...

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Here's some info from some "concerned" people !!

On Thursday, the House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Oversight, Investigations and Management held a hearing to discuss the ever increasing use of unmanned drones here in the United States, which not only poses a threat to the right to privacy of every American but may also represent a legitimate national security threat.

Chairman Michael McCaul (R-Texas) said that no government agency is addressing the “full implications” of the widespread use of drones domestically and warned that they will “dominate the skies” by 2015.

“We are now on the edge of a new horizon: using unmanned aerial systems within the homeland,” McCaul said. “Currently, there are about 200 active Certificates of Authorization issued by the Federal Aviation Administration to over 100 different entities, such as law enforcement departments and academic institutions, to fly drones domestically. This map shows the location of COA recipients as of April 2012. The number of recipients since that time has increased.”....

Texas Lawmaker: Drones Will ‘Dominate the Skies in the U.S.’ by 2015

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Come on...

If I may raise a point on this that I think makes all the difference on your list there. All those things have been possible before drones, of course. However, all those things had a human pilot somewhere directly involved to be held accountable when the aircraft had to land somewhere. Even an average person could follow where that landed, if something went so far out of hand on an incident. Someone would pay for it...because someone did it. Someone who could be identified.

Now, who did the dirty deed...whatever abuse it may be...when it's a mindless, pilot-less drone which can land anywhere? Or..maybe not land at all, for days? So much for accountability and the ability to have someone's tail as a trophy when things go really wrong. Now, it'll take an act of congress to just find out who owns which drone at times.

We don't even need to throw in the hacker angle of it being an open question for control in the first place to make a bad situation for an image.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

And that being said, homogenizes a point made earlier. Tip of an iceberg that so many have no clue as to how important this will become, as early as next year.... when most people that have a surplus income realize they can own and fly one. Notice that the requirement does not include intelligence. Now, get scared.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
bring on the drones,.
seriously,.. not worried

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Won't there be a risk of drones colliding with other aircraft? That could be deadly. I'm not sure I'd like to be travelling in airplanes when the drones "dominate the skies."

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
WOW! I am so confused. I've been on this site for years and never have I seen more people so uneducated about a topic. Even Nibiru posts sound more credible.

Not trying to be mean but here are the facts:

1. We are discussing "domestic" drones not "military", big difference.

2. They are already flying in every state, every day and I guarantee you they can not "peep" through windows, and you probably do not notice them because they are used for special investigations. Peeping through windows is next to impossible to do even with a highly experienced Pilot In Command (PIC).

3. They are used for reconnaissance, and in the case of Colorado are used for aerial investigation by Detectives instead of taking up the resources (such as ladders) from the local Fire Departments.

4. The most payload one of them can carry is 6lbs with an estimated flight time of 10 - 15 minutes (barring weather, winds, and flight maneuvers), and that is our biggest craft! The other smaller ones can only carry a digital camera.

5. IR camera use, yes it can be done but those cameras weigh 4 - 6 lbs out of the box so the drones are heavily compromised so they are not always used.

6. Battery life is so freaking limited that law enforcement know they can only use them when running operations (such as hostage negotiations or riots) where they need a quick eye in the sky.

7. The majority of "domestic" drones are carbon fiber, and yes I have been hurt from the props before during a test (completely my fault) but they will not fall out of the sky and kill people! They are made to fly and can be completely destroyed if they fall straight to the ground which would be a huge waste of money.

8. People will not "get rich" off of this but small businesses will rise up to take on the manufacturing and programming challenges. Some of these are local hobby businesses.

9. Yes "domestic" drones/ hobby helicopters and planes ARE used for Academic Purposes. Google Earth does not give a day by day, hour by hour aerial view of active rivers, lakes, water sources, construction sites, etc. Sending up a helicopter to 100 ft. to get some "live' calculations provides more reliable information.

10. This IS NOT the year of the drone, that year already passed in the nineties, we're talking remote controlled aircraft the size of an end table drawer! The only thing that has changed is the autonomous flight which makes up roughly 50% of the flight time to fly a circular flight pattern in a motion that could disorientate the Pilot In Command (PIC) if flown manually.

11. The "volume" of drone use will be so minimal you will not notice.

12. Hackers cannot hack the secured 5.8ghz frequency we use, it runs 100 times per second from transmitter to receiver, and each signal run is fully encrypted! Hackers can send a GPS signal (directional only) towards the craft to try and confuse the GPS which is why there is ALWAYS a PIC to manually override the aircraft instantly. Remember the only time GPS is used for autonomous flight is to run a flight pattern, and most of the time is not even considered. They never have "FULL" control either, they simply send a jacked up GPS signal to the aircraft to compromise it, that's all.

13. Drones will not collide with other aircraft that is why the FAA is issuing "SPECIAL" certificates to certain entities. There is training involved, approval of the aircraft, and the aircraft will never operate above the hobby airspace of 400ft. (at least for now) The majority of flight patterns for landing and take off of piloted aircraft are at 500 ft! Plus if a large military drone is flying within active flight space under IFR the PIC is in constant communication with air traffic control just as if they were in the aircraft physically flying it like any other pilot! They will not crash into other aircraft.

14. So who uses them? How about Fire Departments for internal/ external investigations after a fire, before Firemen enter a building and evaluating the safety. What about Law Enforcement on the other side of a building that could possibly be walking around and confronted by gunmen with hostages, getting a quick look at the other side to evaluate the situation would be life saving. Academic uses educate scientists on the ever changing landscape from an aerial view. These drones are not like the movies, they are super cool yes, but they are still hobby aircraft.

If you want to see the type of craft we build, service and fly and educate yourself further on the subject go to: AeroSurve.com. Also if you are in Colorado and want to see a demonstration just let me know. Our company gives demonstrations all the time at the Fire Academy in Golden, CO and at local Law Enforcement Agencies. All you have to do is ask, once you see the benefits of domestic drone use and how they work versus the fictional sci-fi stuff that is NOT possible with this technology you'll have a different outlook

top topics

join