It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, how must we react to something we HATE?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I'll start off with something that doesn't relate to Christianity.

If we give a child a bucket-full of vegetables, which they HATE. Do they thank you? or do they run away from you? Do you have to beg them to receive it even they know and you know they need it?

Let's just say you HATE NASCAR
Probably, only few who would. Anyway, somebody gives you free tickets to NASCAR. What would you do as a Hater of NASCAR? You'll probably sell those ticket off or even give it to someone who might need it a lot more like a NASCAR fan. In other words, you'll exchange it for something more important to you or simply get rid of it.

Sports! Boxing, football, basketball, etc. We know the opposing teams. During a match, you'll cheer for one and boo the other. You can't be cheering if the team you put your money on is losing!

Righteousness and Sin... If we following the road to righteousness, sure we would HATE sin, we would repent every time we wander from the path and possibly even HATE ourselves for doing so.

Now here's the million-dollar question to professing Christians based on Luke 16:13 (NIV)
"No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

I think Money doesn't mean it literally, I believe it means the world and all the worldly things you can buy with money. So don't tell me a car isn't money
For you can sell a car and get money and you'll probably derive the same emotional response if somebody gives you a free brand new car or hands you cash that is equivalent to the cost of a brand new car.

If money (worldly things) is to be the object of HATE as a Christian, then how are we supposed to treat it? What should be our emotional response if someone gives us a free car or a bucket load of cash?

If a dream job comes to you what would be your emotional reaction? If an opportunity for missions outreach opens to you in a very poor part of the world, no salary, only allowance, what would be your emotional reaction?

Would the emotional reaction be on the same level? Which one you would be happier? Which one you would be A LOT happier?
edit on 20-7-2012 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I feel that as long as we don't let money corrupt us or our relationship with god then its ok. If you get a dream job take it, just try not to obsess over the money.. which is hard in todays society granted.

I think that as long as we don't become infatuated with money or materialism then god doesn't mind.

But then again I'm not god, its just how I feel!

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk
Now here's the million-dollar question to professing Christians based on Luke 16:13 (NIV)
"No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

I think Money doesn't mean it literally, I believe it means the world and all the worldly things you can buy with money. So don't tell me a car isn't money
For you can sell a car and get money and you'll probably derive the same emotional response if somebody gives you a free brand new car or hands you cash that is equivalent to the cost of a brand new car.

If money (worldly things) is to be the object of HATE as a Christian, then how are we supposed to treat it? What should be our emotional response if someone gives us a free car or a bucket load of cash?

If a dream job comes to you what would be your emotional reaction? If an opportunity for missions outreach opens to you in a very poor part of the world, no salary, only allowance, what would be your emotional reaction?

Would the emotional reaction be on the same level? Which one you would be happier? Which one you would be A LOT happier?

In my experiences, a large part of learning to give gifts is learning how to receive them too. If you spent hours of time working on a thoughtful gift for another, and they reacted to it apathetically or negatively, you would be hurt wouldn't you? That's how I look at the Gospel anyway. God gave us the best gift of Christ to lead us as an example and learning to receive Him is obviously something humanity struggles with daily.

When we learn to accept that Gift, we can open ourselves to changes that produces spiritual fruits that work as gifts for others."But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." -Galatians 5:22-23. 2 Timothy 1:7 also comes to mind: "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

The Lord gives us 100% and only asks for 10% (materially) in return. So, I would say a Christian should be open to accept monetary and material gifts, but should not value them above spiritual gifts.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Righteousness and Sin... If we following the road to righteousness, sure we would HATE sin, we would repent every time we wander from the path and possibly even HATE ourselves for doing so.

What is 'righteousness' and 'sin'? We're led to believe that God has an eternal plan, that everything happens for a reason. Events are 'God's will'. After so many years as a Christian, I still haven't the faintest idea what 'sin' is. It's too subjective.

So don't tell me a car isn't money

But there's more to a car (and many other objects) than its financial value. It might have sentimental value, aesthetic appeal, and numerous other attributes not directly related to cost. Like an old calculator, a car may have more value to a person because it feels more comfortable or familiar.

Given most people seek a purpose in life, and in most cases dream jobs are those with real meaning, the difference between that an a voluntary placement might not be so great. I'm sure many people would ditch a Wallmart/Tesco job for an unpaid placement in Africa, given the opportunity. That might also be true for many in unfulfilling highly-paid jobs.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Dear ahnggk,

Consider the verse you quoted referred to masters. If money is your master than you should hate it, not because of what it is; but, because of the control that you allow it to have over your life. It is the love of money that is the problem, not money in and of itself. How are we supposed to react to things we hate, we are to work on ourselves and remove the hate from our heart.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

edit on 20-7-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne

After so many years as a Christian, I still haven't the faintest idea what 'sin' is. It's too subjective.

To find sin just go in the opposite direction of Christ. Christ teaches us how to give/multiply and the world teaches us how to take/divide. You're either walking towards Him or you're running against Him.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight21

Originally posted by XeroOne

After so many years as a Christian, I still haven't the faintest idea what 'sin' is. It's too subjective.

To find sin just go in the opposite direction of Christ. Christ teaches us how to give/multiply and the world teaches us how to take/divide. You're either walking towards Him or you're running against Him.

So it seems that 'sin' boils down to the preservation of the human species, or of society.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Basically that is saying if you are a capitalist you can't serve God.

If you are a capitalist then money is your true desire. When you have more money than the majority it makes you an authority. No man should have authority over another, we are all supposed to be equal in Gods eyes, right?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It is easy to learn to love something that you hate, whether you are Christian or not. Think of all of the positive qualities of the thing you hate and choose to focus on that instead.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
We all are imperfect.
That always leaves room for improvement.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight21

The Lord gives us 100% and only asks for 10% (materially) in return. So, I would say a Christian should be open to accept monetary and material gifts, but should not value them above spiritual gifts.

He doesn't want your money, he doesn't give a damn about money. If you love him with all your heart, mind and strength, and your brothers and sisters in him, and love others enough to share his story and his name, the name of Yahweh, then you have done all he has commanded. Yahweh hates greed and selfishness.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Yes I agree you don't buy your way into heaven. Churches shouldn't be run as a business (though many have) which can clearly be seen by Jesus's anger towards the moneychargers in the temple and Jesus's grace towards the poor widow. It wasn't the monetary amount that mattered but the fact that she followed Christ's example to a tee by giving 100%.

Mark 12:41-43

41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Good for you, OP!! star/flag!

I've been "volunteering" my skills for some time now (about 6 years).....and I have looked into the Peace Corps. I would be fine donating myself to serve in a very poor part of the world...!!
I say:
Bring it on!!

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

I've been "volunteering" my skills for some time now (about 6 years).....and I have looked into the Peace Corps. I would be fine donating myself to serve in a very poor part of the world...!!
I say:
Bring it on!!

The Peace Corps is not what you think it is. I've known people that went to do that and came back drug addicts and alcoholics and some fell into prostitution. We got people in the U.S. that need ministering to, homeless shelters and soup kitchens are a good place to go to find the brokenhearted who need the Word of Yahweh to lift them up. Church affiliated associations like the Missionary Baptist Association raises money to send missionaries abroad to those areas.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
@Techunique

I feel that as long as we don't let money corrupt us or our relationship with god then its ok. If you get a dream job take it, just try not to obsess over the money.. which is hard in todays society granted

If a concept of a dream job is doing what you believe you were born to do. Then you can still have it in a manner that will glorify God. Utimately, the will of the Father is reconciling the lost to him, clothing, feeding, and giving him shelter. If driving/racing is your gift, you could be driving in the most hostile places to deliver relief and transport missionaries in the field with safe delivery as the #1 goal! If engineering/building is your gift, you can be helping solve people's problem in the middle of the jungle by gathering and utilizing the raw materials from the environment in a very innovative way to make life easier.

Every good gifts can be used for the Glory of God while we walk the 'narrow road'

@Darkknight

In my experiences, a large part of learning to give gifts is learning how to receive them too. If you spent hours of time working on a thoughtful gift for another, and they reacted to it apathetically or negatively, you would be hurt wouldn't you?

There's one such even in the Bible and the Christians of Macedonia have to BEG Paul to receive their gifts!

2 Corinthians 8:3-5
For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord, begging us with much urging for the favor of participation in the support of the saints, and this, not as we had expected, but they first gave themselves to the Lord and to us by the will of God

On the context of gifts in the Bible, they do not always amount to money or physical things, often they are spiritual gifts or human abilities/creativity

@AQuestion

If money is your master than you should hate it, not because of what it is; but, because of the control that you allow it to have over your life. It is the love of money that is the problem, not money in and of itself. How are we supposed to react to things we hate, we are to work on ourselves and remove the hate from our heart.

I agree on working with the hate A. You have to forgive me to try to educate you but thanks to your reply, else I would not have brought this up! But the Bible tend to be selective on things we must love and hate and not turning around hate to love. We are to hate sin but love those who are lost, which includes the sinners. We sure can hate what they do, but we must love them enough to offer the message of salvation and truth and even help them in their desperation, even risk our lives for them!

But there are things we can't love I'm sure all will agree with me on this. Will you ever learn to love the act of murder? Will you love injustice? Do you think our world will be better without authorities to uphold the law of justice and let the world fall into anarchy?

There is a valid reason for Jesus to HATE material wealth on a global/planetary scale. You can see how much Jesus loves the animals too. His ultimate sacrifice on the cross, not only cleansed us of our sins but also abolished animal sacrifice on a grand scale! His sacrifice is not just for MAN but for ANIMALS too! Remember, his message of love, caring for the desperate is not limited to man only!

Now we get back to modern wealth... ...The Industrial Revolution, the world wars that have dramatically boosted the economy and wealth of Modern Americans and Europeans - the construction of homes - suburbia! Deforestation/displacement of animals on a massive scale which have resulted to massive reduction of animal population and even extinction of some species.

See this, the homes, cars, freeways, city life, our daily lives we all take for granted, the very thing we call 'our world'... ...Have caused great suffering for animals, the wildlife, even plant life! If Jesus loved all creatures, then you can see how he can hate all the mindless human activity all in the name of profits, money, and comfortable living!

Now you see why Jesus would say to HATE money (or the human civilization, The World). I believe he really means it. There's an objective reason to do so even it wasn't mentioned in the Bible - if you can love other creatures that you can feel the hurt of their suffering due to human activity.

If cars were powered by live rabbits and three of them would die per 40 miles, and you have to 'refuel' them with live rabbits at 'rabbit stations'. If you love animals then.... Would you drive such a car?? The odds are you'll probably walk even if your work is 10 miles away! You'll disgust yourself at such system that you'll be willing to suffer for the things you love. I'm trying to paint an analogy, it isn't too obvious for our system has blinded us to the sufferings of this world.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

I say:
Bring it on!!

Probably not, I still have to go the 'baptism of fire'.

My parents are absolutely against it. My parents want me to immigrate to a rich country and be a successful engineer or automechanic. I just don't want to be part of the injustices of this system anymore. The goals I have is 180 degress the other direction. If nobody wants to reach out to the poor and dangerous places, who will?? This probably the point when Jesus said if you love your parents more than Him, you are not worthy of Him.

I wish I can be in your shoes now.

Thanks again to everyone. Always and very much appreciate these discussions, again, thank you!!

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Compassion is the state of a true disciple of Christ so will not hate.
To ask another how one must act is turning away from the truth and asking for deception. Give your power away and you will be controlled.
Know thyself.

To look to another for a way of acting in this world is to 'learn how to act'. Acting and reacting is a programmed response - machine like, robot, conditioned. Learned behavior is not freedom, it is a prison.
edit on 21-7-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

The Peace Corps is not what you think it is. I've known people that went to do that and came back drug addicts and alcoholics and some fell into prostitution.

Really? Hmm, was not aware of that. Anyway, I didn't follow through with the application. Too complicated and the questions and "proof" of my past that were required turned me off....but, of course, it is a government thing.

And I'm very aware of the problems right here that need work. Make no mistake, that's what I spend my energy doing, is trying to help, and when I'm not able to stay focused or I get upset, I retreat back into my Spirit self and continue becoming.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

My parents are absolutely against it. My parents want me to immigrate to a rich country and be a successful engineer or automechanic. I just don't want to be part of the injustices of this system anymore. The goals I have is 180 degress the other direction. If nobody wants to reach out to the poor and dangerous places, who will?? This probably the point when Jesus said if you love your parents more than Him, you are not worthy of Him.

I wish I can be in your shoes now.

You are clearly young and just staring out, then. I'm over 50 years old, and have 2 children probably about your age. One just finished up her education and landed a job. The other is rather "drifting".

One day your youth will have passed,and you'll be in the position to make your own choices and live the way you choose. Stay strong and strive to be true to yourself, do what you must, and that includes living in a family unit, but remember in the end it's "your" personal journey. No one can really show you the way.

It's like walking through a thick, dark, scary forest, on a tiny path, where you have to think on your feet just to survive, and no one can go with you to your destination. Some can call out to you from their own path and try to lend guidance, but you are the one who must walk it -- alone -- until you find yourself out of the forest, on the other side, where you can rest easier in who you truly are.

(and you're welcome)

edit on 21-7-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join