It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun laws in the USA,,,

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
In wake of the deaths in the cinema complex in Colorado, what do people think of the gun law in the US?

I personally think that the gun law needs updating, i don't think civilians need to own massively high powered assault rifles.
Guns should be free to buy/own/care everywhere but there has to be some kind of cap on the amount and type people can have!

RIP the people that died!

E

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Full auto, is a good ban.

Semi auto, really at the point you dropped full auto thats good enough.

Rifles have their uses, hunting etc.

Gun is just a tool nothing more.

I can kill just as many people with a few chemicals... It really is a mater if someone is determined enough to do something they will.

They will use the tools that are available to them.

Gun laws only stop those who are willing to follow the law in the first place.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
just posted on another thread on this and say the same thing

keep your right to bear arms law but if u do then this is what is always going to happen

ok british law isn,t great at times either but least we haven,t got multiple shootings everyday,u have the right to bear arms then u can,t be surprised when u have crazy people shooting innocent people everyday.

only way your going to stop it is copy britains policy......u won,t eradicate it completely but at least u,ll stop thousands of people being killed ever year.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I think a gun is a very fast and effective way of killing... that's why "crazy" people use that method etc.

E

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
When your life's in danger and seconds count, remember the police are just minutes away. That quote should remind you that until the cops show up, your on your own. That movie theater didn't allow its patrons who has Concealed Carry Permits to carry them inside. How many lives would have been saved if one other person had gun? This isn't about getting dangerous guns off the street, its about allowing a Law Abiding Citizen to defend him/her-self when faced in a situation that lasts seconds and knowing it'll take minutes for Law Enforcement to show up.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

No we just had hundreds of stabbings a year!...the guns arn't the issue its the people using them ....

E

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Its a hard subject to solve. As somebody else said, if somebody wants to kill people, they can accomplish that goal with or without guns. If guns were banned and taken off the streets, illegal guns will still be everywhere, and even more so in the hands of criminals. So banning guns i doubt will be the anwser. Then there is an arguement that every everybody had guns on them at all time, crime would go down, because everyone would be afriad to attack other people. But then that also makes the chance for violence to increase alot.

In the end, there is nothing anyone can do to stop violence. Not even the DHS with billions of dollars of funding to stop domestic terrorists.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
If guns were more accepted by the main stream, then things like this would not be allowed to happen.

Rather then banning guns, we should promote law abiding citizens to remain armed at all times.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Guns don't kill

People do the killing

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by roaland

I think it depends who is shooting back at the perpetrator...are they a hobbyist shooter or a good marksman ?

It's a tough question.

E

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by EqualizerUK

This is a very hard subject to discuss. Too many people are way off to the right or left when it comes to guns. Not too many people are in the middle and able too find a common ground when it comes to guns. I love my guns alot. I own a few handguns, an AR, shotgun, and hunting rifles. I really don't feel like giving any if them up. No I don't need all of them but I like them. So I don't see any kind of compromise. I don't plan on shooting soldiers and police officers if they ever come to get my guns, and I also don't plan to voluntarily turn them in.
I think we should educate people more on firearms safety and personal protection even if they do not own a gun. And we should also enforce harsher penalties for illegal possession of firearms and crimes committed with guns.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EqualizerUK
reply to post by roaland

I think it depends who is shooting back at the perpetrator...are they a hobbyist shooter or a good marksman ?

It's a tough question.

E

Anyone who decides to carry a gun for defense and has a CC has already taken hours of classes on shooting and a majority of the time, will have already had years of shooting experience under his/her belt most of the time. But would you rather this guy only wound/kill 50 people or the full 71 wounded/kill that this guy had time to shoot? He had the time because no one was there to challenge him.
edit on 20-7-2012 by roaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by roaland

What CC class preps you for the mad panic that happened in that cinema in the dim lights and every other problem that you can think of?

My opinion i don't think a shoot out would of help one bit, what if the "good guy" shooting back was mistaken for the gunman?

E

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

In wake of the deaths in the cinema complex in Colorado, what do people think of the gun law in the US?

I personally think that the gun law needs updating, i don't think civilians need to own massively high powered assault rifles.

What, precisely, is a "massively high powered assault rifle"? It is basically determined by what it looks like, not what it can do. If it has a wooden stock and wood beneath the barrel, a typical .223 semi auto is a "hunting rifle." Paint the stock black or make it out of metal, and it's a "massively high powered assault rifle."

Same exact mechanics---different name. we're not talkling fully automatic AK-47s available to anyone over ten in Africa. We're talking semi-auto: one pull of the trigger equals one shot fired.

A typical .223 isn't really that "massively high powered." You know .22 caliber, right? This is .223 caliber, just a tiny bit bigger, albeit with more powder in the cartridge. This guy had a .223, a Glock 40 caliber handgun, and a shotgun. The Glock is used in police departments nation wide, a very very common handgun.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
crazy........we have no rite to guns here so that stops arguments getting in to full blown shoots outs over nothing

stops someone who gets up one day deciding that everyone else should pay for their # life,if u,ve no access to a gun then it stops that dead in its tracks.

ok as someone said it doesn,t stop a knife which is true enough but i bet theres not 30-40 people or more losing their lives to 1 knife attack cause the simple reason is before anyone could even do that then people would escape or the person would be overpowered.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I don't have the answers, but I'll say this: that kid would have been tough to stop even if therewere armed patrons. From what is being reported here, he was fully tac'd up. Ballistic helmet (with throat covering), armored vest, armored trousers and a lot of firepower.

He very well could have absorbed multiple shots from a 9 or 40 from a distance, and then would have turned on his shooter.

Empty yer clip while running for cover is the best play here, I believe.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I think everybody should carry. An armed society is a polite society. Just look at the facts. Cities with strict gun laws have more gun crimes, on average, then cities with less restrictive gun laws.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

There are plenty of hunting rifles that are very powerful....why have a gun that can fill a target with 30 rds in five seconds??
What animal needs that can of stopping?

E

link   

Originally posted by capod2t
I don't have the answers, but I'll say this: that kid would have been tough to stop even if therewere armed patrons. From what is being reported here, he was fully tac'd up. Ballistic helmet (with throat covering), armored vest, armored trousers and a lot of firepower.

He very well could have absorbed multiple shots from a 9 or 40 from a distance, and then would have turned on his shooter.

Empty yer clip while running for cover is the best play here, I believe.
That is why I use a higher powered weapon. A .45, a .44 or a .357 would knock the guy off of his feet even with body armor. While he was down, trying to catch his breath, many people might have time to evac while you close to a better shooting position for a head shot.

link   

reply to post by roaland

What CC class preps you for the mad panic that happened in that cinema in the dim lights and every other problem that you can think of?

My opinion i don't think a shoot out would of help one bit, what if the "good guy" shooting back was mistaken for the gunman?

E

Common sense for one. If the gunman is directly in front of you and facing your direction in a dark room and all you can see is an outline, because of people being in front of you, you do your best to get a better angle and look for a spot where the frigin guy with the gun isn't pointing it at you lol

I've been in movie theaters and there's plenty of ambient light, even with the smoke grenades he had thrown. Now i realize talking about pointing a gun at another human in self defense is much different then the actual situation, but agian, would you rather people not be able to defend themselves like what happened in this situation? So many people got shot and killed because no one challenged him.
edit on 20-7-2012 by roaland because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join