It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft callers scam MUST READ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Yesterday I received a call from someone claiming to work for Microsoft.

I was told that Microsoft had detected a virus on my computer and they wanted to help me remove it. Instantly I got suspicious. Was Microsoft monitoring my computer?

I did not know. My computer was new, so I figured it was possible that that during the first boot up that I had agreed to some sort of monitoring technical service, or something?

I was directed to my event viewer to a screen that showed a bunch of errors. Okay, I am not the most tech savvy person, maybe there was something wrong with my computer? And Microsoft had somehow detected the virus and was trying to help me maybe?

I asked about why they would take the initiative to call. The explanation I was given was that many users had complained about this virus and they were trying to help their customers get rid of it. Okay?

I asked if I could just install a better anti-virus software and if I could handle the problem my self. They said "no".

My Bullcrap alarm- already ringing in the back of my mind- started going absolutely haywire.

They directed me to this website calle "Amyy.com" to download a program that would allow them to take control of my computer.

I said "no" and I hung up.

Later I searched Google with the Phrase " calling about virus scam".

I found this article which describes exactly what I went through.

www.computerrepairtips.net...

Needless to say, I wasn't shocked. I already KNEW someone had tried to scam me, it was just nice to know that I was not just being paranoid.

So, if any of you get an unsolicited call from Microsoft, HANG UP. Someone is trying to scam you.

Just thought I would warn you all.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This is a very very very old scam. They wanted to install a Remote Access Tool on your computer, essentially so they could either own it until you paid X amount of money, or to steal your personal information.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne
This is a very very very old scam. They wanted to install a Remote Access Tool on your computer, essentially so they could either own it until you paid X amount of money, or to steal your personal information.

I didn't get that far into the scam, but i know that is what they were trying to do.

Thanks for posting!

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
If someone tried that on me I'd laugh them off the phone.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

A couple of weeks ago I had the same kind of call.

I quickly told them that we couldn't have any virus because we had no computers in the house because we didn't believe in them. I said that a computer is a box of Satan spawned in the pits of hell. He hung up befre I could get him to pray with me. I am not sure why.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Dude if people are stupid enough to fall for this they shouldnt be allowed near a computer. How many warnings do they need? People also call people claiming theyre the bank and need their pin, account number, blah blah, and they willingly give it out. i even met a girl once who was offered a job being a nanny for some disabled kid. They sent her a check upfront for 2 grand and told her to sendhalf to a wheel chair company to buy him a wheel chair. And she fell for it. Lmfao.

I have no compassion for these fools and neither should anyone else.

This thread is less useful than that chainsaw warning sticker that says not to stop chain with hands or genitals. I think ill use my leg then.
edit on 20-7-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Dude if people are stupid enough to fall for this they shouldnt be allowed near a computer. How many warnings do they need?

I think looking at it like that is a wrong way to go about. If someone fell for this scam I would say that they made a horrible mistake and that now they know better and they have learned something about "scams" from the experience and that they are smarter and more aware because of it.

"Inform people rather than criticize their ignorance" is my motto.

. i even met a girl once who was offered a job being a nanny for some disabled kid. They sent her a check upfront for 2 grand and told her to sendhalf to a wheel chair company to buy him a wheel chair. And she fell for it. Lmfao.

That's not funny, that's sad. Learning that you cant trust people is a horrible experience, there is no reason to make fun of people who "trust too much" because sooner or later they will learn the hard lesson you are trying to convey.

I have no compassion for these fools and neither should anyone else

Why? Because you could see through it and they couldn't? And that makes them less worthy?
edit on 20-7-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I have received these calls and normally just hang up on them. On two occasions though I have had some fun knowing who was calling because of caller ID:

1) I answered with "United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission emergency hotline. This call is monitored and the origin of the call is recorded. Unauthorized use of this service is punishable under United States federal law. Please state the nature of your nuclear emergency." Immediate hang up from the other end.

2) Let them get to the point that they ask about your Windows computer and tell them you use an Apple.

I normally do not answer calls from number I don't know, but was getting calls 4-5 times a day for a while. Annoying Bast#$@#!!

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Really? Its funny cause that girl fell for the same scams repeatedly. And the only wrong she ever saw was "the bank took my check!!"......

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

I had the same thing happen to me, a few months back.

A few of my settings were actually turned off. I did a reinstall, and never had anyone call me again. It was weird that they had my number, as it was a cell phone, and I dont give it out to anyone. I have great anti virus, so I could only think, my children, gave my number, to someone online.....

S&F, for the info Tsuki........

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You do realize theres machines that call every possible number in an area, right? I think there was a simpsons episode about it. heres also just plain ol randomly dialing numbers.........and legitimate businesses get there systems hacked into. Dont blame your kids. I remember a while back we got a virus that replicated itself over a security flaw in windows with no illicit files downlpaded. i think it mightvr been called blaster. It crashes windows every 5 minutes. my mom insisted it was my fault cause i used internet relay chat alot. Dont be like my mom please.

Edit: oh yeah i made a killing removing that virus for my moms friends. Never asked for money but they always offered me like five bucks and i was like 15 haha
edit on 20-7-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I know right, wtf was going on?

Any way, love the Gandalf avatar!

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
OP are you in Oz??
I had the same call a week ago. Some call from 'overseas' claiming to be from Microsoft.
Then went on to ask me if my computer was on. I interrupted him & asked for his name & a callback number. I told him I would call Microsoft to verify his ID & then call him back.
He became flustered & asked me if I really was going to 'bother' Microsoft!!
I replied "Absolutely! I don't take your word that you are who you say!
Fastest disconnect ever !

*Glad you weren't stung OP. Thanks for sharing

new topics

top topics

join