It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Beezzer's New Project: Cults

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I know the boards are buzzing with the horrible events in Colorado and my heart and prayers go with the friends and families and those who have suffered.

I'd just like to focus on something a little lighter this evening.

Since the election for ATS Regent went over so well (thanks to those who participated) I thought of something during that time.
Cults.

Politics is like a "cult of personality". What is a cult? How does it differ from a political entity? Could we here at ATS (for fun) create a cult?

By creating our own cult, we could disect it, study it, explore aspects that might be hidden when looking at actual cults.

Just thinking out loud here. Trying to develop a concept that would follow T&C and yet allow freedom to dive into the dark side of fanaticism.

What do you all think?

Neat idea?

or

Shut up, beez!





posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Sounds interesting to me.

May not participate much, but would enjoy reading.

..and don't shut up..please



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds
Sounds interesting to me.

May not participate much, but would enjoy reading.

..and don't shut up..please



Thanks.

I don't know much about cults, so I'd be starting from scratch. Plus it'd be harmless. No koolade or body-part injuries.

I'm trying to come up with a diety that wouldn't offend anyone, and I'm not sure that's possible.



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Trying to develop a concept that would follow T&C and yet allow freedom to dive into the dark side of fanaticism.


The dark side of fanaticism? Why would you want to dive into ANY side of fanaticism? Much less create an ATS cult? And besides, there are those that think we're a cult already, just because we want to talk about "out there" topics.



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   




Awwww, no kool aid?




posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Originally posted by beezzer
Trying to develop a concept that would follow T&C and yet allow freedom to dive into the dark side of fanaticism.


The dark side of fanaticism? Why would you want to dive into ANY side of fanaticism? Much less create an ATS cult? And besides, there are those that think we're a cult already, just because we want to talk about "out there" topics.

One of the reasons I'm even on this site is because it has the format inwhich we can learn. I want to understand WHY people do what they do. WHY they think like they do.

Will I get an official ATS diploma at the end of my journey?
(I hope so, it's already on my resume)

Cults are off-the-wall topics.

Where, on the net, else can we learn, debate, discuss such topics, if not here?



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pazuzu67




Awwww, no kool aid?



If it's anything, it'll be scotch



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
As the Official Czar of Coffee and Caffeinated Beverages, I lend my support to this worthy cause, as long as there is plenty of fresh Java to be had..



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08
As the Official Czar of Coffee and Caffeinated Beverages, I lend my support to this worthy cause, as long as there is plenty of fresh Java to be had..


Cult of the Blue Mountain Coffee Bean?



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by vkey08
As the Official Czar of Coffee and Caffeinated Beverages, I lend my support to this worthy cause, as long as there is plenty of fresh Java to be had..


Cult of the Blue Mountain Coffee Bean?


something like that



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Technically every religion on the planet is a cult.
People get huffy when you reveal that truth.
I'm thinking ... this is a very touchy area you are getting into.

CULT -
1.A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
2.A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister

Like I said .. that includes everyone from Catholic to Baptist to Hindu to Buddhist to Wiccan to _______.



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08
 


I don't drink coffee though.


Great.

10 minutes into this project and I'm already a heretic!



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Technically every religion on the planet is a cult.
People get huffy when you reveal that truth.
I'm thinking ... this is a very touchy area you are getting into.

CULT -
1.A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
2.A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister

Like I said .. that includes everyone from Catholic to Baptist to Hindu to Buddhist to Wiccan to _______.



Good point! If we have all these established religions that cover everything for everyone already, then why do cults still pop up?

What are people looking for that can't be provided to them, by established religions?



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Its strong personalities that people are drawn to. You know the saying “Some are leaders and some are followers”? Cults typically have a very charismatic and charming figure . that impressionable people are drawn to!.


On a forum I would say it would be quite a task to accomplish the same feet as previous cult leaders, as it is more difficult to communicate your charasmatic traits. In person someone can charm, persuade, threaten or manipulate people into following them.

edit on 20-7-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If you follow me i promise to give you everything that you desire!, women, money, pleasure and happiness.....just drinkmy fruit punch and sign over your worldy posessions to me and it is yours

edit on 20-7-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Its strong personalities that people are drawn to. You know the saying “Some are leaders and some are followers”? Cults typically have a very charismatic and charming figure . that impressionable people are drawn to!.


On a forum I would say it would be quite a task to accomplish the same feet as previous cult leaders. In person someone can charm, persuade, threaten or manipulate people into following them.


But what does a cult provide that established religions don't?

I mean, there are a plethora of religions out there.

Do they all have this in common?



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
If you follow me i promise to give you everything that you desire!, women, money, pleasure and happiness.....just drinkmy fruit punch and sign over your worldy posessions to me and it is yours

edit on 20-7-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

I require toe nails and scotch.

No, don't ask.



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Its strong personalities that people are drawn to. You know the saying “Some are leaders and some are followers”? Cults typically have a very charismatic and charming figure . that impressionable people are drawn to!.


On a forum I would say it would be quite a task to accomplish the same feet as previous cult leaders. In person someone can charm, persuade, threaten or manipulate people into following them.


But what does a cult provide that established religions don't?

I mean, there are a plethora of religions out there.

Do they all have this in common?


Perhaps cults fill every kind of niche possible? Religions are very confined in their traditions and practices. Cults are malleable and ever changing. There could be a cult out there that offers everything someone could want, where formal religion can not.
edit on 20-7-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
THe real question is...At what point does a cult become a religion and where is the grey zone in between
Perhaps the two terms are interchangable.

Were Judaism and Christianity considered a cult when Pagan worship and polytheism was the norm?
edit on 20-7-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


As soon as you start a cult here on ATS, another one will pop and it's followers will tell your followers that they're all going to hell!

Then your followers will start bickering among themselves and go off and start splinter cults, that better explain your cult.




new topics

top topics



 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join