It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOPA Emergency IP list - For when the tyrants try to take down the internet (SAVE THIS LIST)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xsheep
The piratebay IP number you put in your list is not working ...it says it has been blocked by my provider ...
so how do I get past that ?
8 technical methods that make the protect IP act useless!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Not sure if this has already been posted, but the IP addresses wouldn't work if SOPA or whatever did take effect. most sites use domain names (Abovetopsecret.com) which just makes it easier to remember instead of an IP address, but if the site is blocked by the government neither the domain nor IP would work. Of course most sites would simply just move to deep the web including this one (I hope).

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

You can also start running your own, secure DNS servers

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarIce

Of course, if they decide to take down the nodes it's game over. DNS or not.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
A word to the wise:

Use a Linux machine or a Linux VM. Windows is so vulnerable to attacks and its source is closed. Assume they have access to your computer at all times. You also don't need anything else for blogging, e-mail and Internet access. Besides, it has plenty of tools that are as good as military-grade security. Google away

NSA Access

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
if the government wants you off the internet then that's that.

nothing we can do.

learn how to use a ham radio.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Reply to TechUnique:
Very nice! Many of us ran BBS systems before the internet went live. We use sys bounces to connect with other BBS systems primarily in the U.S. but if one makes the hop one can find ways to go international.
Now if we could just focus on something other than Quest and pron....

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Unfortunately i'm not very savey or literate when it comes to the internet or computers.
Though i figured out how to load the command prompt window when i try to load a site through this means
i just seem to get ping statistics and round trip times!
This is how my command prompt looks "C:\users\My Name>"
Then in front of this prompt i am to type C:\users\My Name>ping ip.address
it sort of looks like this "C:\Users\My Name>ping 67.228.0.162"
then what comes up is 4 lines of "reply from 67.228.0.162: bytes=32 time 63=ms TTL=250
under those four lines i see "ping statistics for 67.228.0.162:"
packets: sent = 4, recieved = 4, lost = 0 (0% loss),
approxamate round trip times in milli-seconds:
minimum = 61ms, Maximum = 63ms, average = 62ms
So what am i doing wrong? How do i load a website through a Cmd prompt?
Please help cause to lose a connection with the net is to lose any grasp on reality!
My OS is windows 7 and im using a Hp pavilion p7-1154 pc
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarIce
most sites use domain names (Abovetopsecret.com) which just makes it easier to remember instead of an IP address, but if the site is blocked by the government neither the domain nor IP would work.

E.g. taking down few root DNS servers would of course make things complicated and the services unreachable for majority of people.

The way to take down Internet would not be via DNS but the gateway(s) that connects the network to others. Taking gateway out of play, the communication is limited to clients within that single network segment.

Do that for major ISPs and that is all you need.

That is why in practice, writing down the IP addresses of websites is comparable to writing down the contacts phone numbers from your mobile phone address book.

If the phone network is down, it does not matter if you try to dial by selecting the contact name from the address book or typing in the phone number. It still will not work.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I have no desire to pee on anyone's parade here. I think this is a fine topic and needs be discussed. I have a couple of observations to add, though.

Not everyone is tech savvy. A lot of people are damn near tech literate. I'm among those, I freely admit without shame. Yet we might be the ones who need to get knowledge out. The whole net may not go down at once. It might be a single city or town that needs to be " controlled ". While the things being discussed here are great if you understand it, not all of us do. So maybe a very, very basic way to get info out should be tossed into the mix? One particular less than mainstream place to get a message to? I don't know...just brainstorming.

Also, I think it's more likely the power grid will get taken out first. Some folks have generators or batteries, etc., but if they shut off the juice to the servers, that really won't matter. Other methods of organizing and communicating have to be considered. They are counting on dependence on modern tech, and the sudden lack of it, causing people to freak out and be disorganized.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
But what happens when a solar flare strikes out all the satellites and all grids go down across the planet? This list will be absolutely useless.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Thank you for publishing this. I believe your right. Everybody should have this filed away just in case. Well done my friend!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Comment for bookmarking later, thanks for the info TS. Good #

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I totally agree.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I think it's time to bring back IRC channels to more than hobbyists and programmers. Does ATS have an IRC channel?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join