It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN: "Is Gun Control The Answer?" Here We Go Again.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
i dont think gun control will work, if someone wanted a gun they'd still be able to get one.
an example that pops to mind is here in Britain. No guns without a license and licenses are supposable strick yet we've had numerous 'nut cases' going on shooting spree's.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
CNN is always beating that dead horse.
What a great way to divide people. Distract people. Turn people on one another.

LIBOR.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

How does asking for gun control turn people on one another?

See, that's the reason we NEED gun control. People are too easily turned on each other. Maybe if we got along better, we wouldn't need to keep so close an eye on weapons.

Sorry, but you opened that can.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I can appreciate owning a hand gun for self defense but why are automatic rifles and smoke grenades available to the public? What war are the American public expecting? Plus if he had gone into the cinema with a machete a lot less people would have died. Granted if you try hard enough here in England to obtain a gun im sure you can succeed but it would be very difficult. The fact it is so easy in America to obtain guns greatly increases the chances of these incidences happening.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CallYourBluff

What war are the American public expecting?

You have to ask?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

The fact it is so easy in America to obtain guns greatly increases the chances of these incidences happening.

"Easy" is debatable but that's exactly what I mean. So many people have guns, do you really expect that no one will get shot?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

What war are the American public expecting?

You have to ask?

I guess I do. Please enlighten me. Are we talking NWO martial law, FEMA camps ect? The supposed plan for the military to kill it's own public? How many years has this supposedly been coming?

edit on 21-7-2012 by CallYourBluff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

downsides of gun control

Maybe instead of spouting your IRRATIONAL HATRED of an INANIMATE OBJECT you should instead get educated. The plain fact is in an IDEAL world noone would need guns. Unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world. The world we live in is far from ideal. The only way I'll give up my guns is if the government gives up theirs first. Until then I will INSIST on remaining on an equal footing for any number of valid reasons from the sheer joy of sporting purposes, to home defense, to defense of the homeland.

The plain fact is you've been BRAINWASHED to hate guns... If you knew anything about them or god forbid went out and used one from time to time I can guarantee you that hate would dissipate rather quickly like it always does when someone gets a proper education about a subject. IT's very hard to hate something you understand affterall...

I'm not saying guns are perfect or that civilian gun ownership doesn't have it's downsides... what I am saying though is everyone deserves the ability to protect themselves and their family.

edit on 21-7-2012 by roguetechie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
[I stand my ground on this. If the people in power are the only ones that have guns, the citizens will have lost their last tool to fight for liberty. ]
Our Government is us. Just because voters apparently like yourself choose unwisely there is no reason to reject our government. Our Government could include your brother, sister, daughter or son. Would you reject them also? Stop voting for the candidates who support big business. Stop looking backwards to what the country was 200 years ago for answers when there wasn’t even radios. Did you know that in the ‘good ole days’ Hemp was a major crop in America? But Hemp was outlawed behind a massive public disinformation campaign to demean Hemp led by Hearst and the Forestry cartel who have made billions. Get some cojones, get educated and do the right thing.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
As per the mod closure of a few other threads I will transfer my statement to this thread.This is in reply to,
OtherSideOfTheCoin in this thread.

I do understand that those statistics probably don’t exist, all I am saying is that it would make for very interesting reading.

I disagree, I think you were attempting to make an argument and hoped nobody called you on it.
Murders are recorded and deterrents are not always.
Guns do more than kill, they also make people think of their mortality and what they're doing may not be in their best interest.
edit on 21-7-2012 by g146541 because: spellar is broked

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The great quote is alive and true....

"When seconds count the cops are only minutes away..."

So what if a few people were carrying concealed in that theater...?

If I was hell bent on mass killing I could go to Mexico and get full assault rifles, I could kill a lot with just shot guns and handguns, I could kill more in a large truck, the Beltway sniper attacks could have been done with a bolt action deer rifle just as effectively, go into a mall with a samurai sword....

The point is we cannot stop mass killings if that is someone's goal, so limiting guns only limit them to those who should have them the most...

edit on 21-7-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
As per the mod closure of a few other threads I will transfer my statement to this thread.This is in reply to
this thread.

Originally posted by EqualizerUK

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I prescribe to the idea that a crime needs to have a victim.

Simple ownership and carry of an object, any object by anyone, does not create victims.

It's absurd that a thing is so regulated.

In a free society liberty must be assumed. Without the assumption of liberty we are all under tyranny.
edit on 21-7-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

Guns are a tool that kill people fast ! owning high powered guns in 2012 is not needed by the average joes ....

E

How are you people so in love with your monarchy and your politicians?
These same people send you off to die but you prefer to be unarmed.
You know the queen is not disarmed, why would you want to be at their will as such?
I just cannot understand the utter stockholm syndrome of it all.
edit on 21-7-2012 by g146541 because: fixded

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
CNN is complete trash and this is just more proof of it. Hey americans, don't walk towards this slippery slope. Next thing they will do is make it illegal to defend yourselves in your own home.
We have these sniveling left wingers in canada too and it has cost us alot in terms of security, freedom,PRIDE,respect etc
Their tactics are WELL known at this point.
Nothing is off limits for them, as it's power they seek. The sad thing is alot of the people my age have bought into the new lefts propaganda.
They're already trying to pin this even on right wingers just like loughner.
What a joke these people are

edit: I'm surprised they haven't called him a christian conservative yet and call for them to be rounded up
edit on 21-7-2012 by HamrHeed because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2012 by HamrHeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by benrl

That's because the civilians were defenseless in front of the government, which had guns of all sorts.

I'm talking COMPLETE disarmament. And only for guns. Tasers are perfectly legit.

I like this idea on the surface. Problem is that people would then just make guns themselves, which would screw some of the people who didn't have them. If it were truly POSSIBLE to ban all guns from everyone, I'd be all for it. But it's not. They've unfortunately already been invented.

I DO think however that it's a complete crock that stricter gun laws wouldn't prevent any of these crimes.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I choose to sum up the answer to the question proposed in the OP's title.

.....No.....It is not.

Bad people will get guns no matter how much control you put on them....

What we will have is an unarmed populace up against armed criminals...If you were to go to far down the road of gun control...

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CallYourBluff

I guess I do. Please enlighten me. Are we talking NWO martial law, FEMA camps ect? The supposed plan for the military to kill it's own public? How many years has this supposedly been coming?

I think we can be more realistic...

Katrina or the LA riots type situations could find one in deep doo doo real quick like where an assault rifle would be a much desired tool to get out of that doo doo in one piece.

Take the resent power outage in the East and make that a month long ordeal... AND you just happen to have a generator, fuel, water and food for the duration for your family and a few friends, once again some good fire power could be the difference between life and death for you.

People who carry concealed, and people who prepare for the worst only expect it to happen maybe one time in their life...as the case with the recent shootings if a guy was carrying concealed right then for his once in a life time situation then we might have seen a different situation where shortly after he started he was killed.

Pick your poison....but I'm not one to be a sheep as the wolves come.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Here is the anti-gun activist's argument in a nutshell...

People should not be allowed to have guns because 'crimes of passion' and 'heat of the moment'
shootings will occur as a consequence of everyone having immediate access to a gun.
Fistfights will become killings, disagreements will become shootouts, scorned lovers will become
murderers---and by extension any innocents caught in the cross-fire will become statistics.

It is a pretty good argument and hard to refute. But considering that guns cannot be eradicated,
it stands to reason that only certain people will have access to weapons...and as a consequence,
everyone else will be at their mercy.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely....and freedom is not free...

You have to be willing to take the bad with the good....and maintain the ability to defend yourself
or you have have to be willing to cede control of yourself to those who have guns....

I will keep my guns and any other weapon I deem necessary to defend myself, and accept that by
doing so I am ceding that same privilege to people who may attempt to harm me...

I will not cede my weapon and my ability to defend myself, while allowing others to keep theirs
...I am not that trusting, nor naive

edit on 21-7-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Automatic rifles are not available to the general public..... Smoke grenades, why not? They are easy to make anyways. I used to build my own all the time.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
No. Gun control does not work.
Will not work
Will never work.

Don't be absurd there dear Brother!
Gun control works just fine!
Just ask any king,queen, dictator, warlord, monarch, Etc. gun control or weapon control works just fine for them.
But I do not forsee me becoming any of the above, I'll just keep my lil old guns thanks.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by CallYourBluff

I think we can be more realistic...

Katrina or the LA riots type situations could find one in deep doo doo real quick like where an assault rifle would be a much desired tool to get out of that doo doo in one piece.

Take the resent power outage in the East and make that a month long ordeal... AND you just happen to have a generator, fuel, water and food for the duration for your family and a few friends, once again some good fire power could be the difference between life and death for you.

People who carry concealed, and people who prepare for the worst only expect it to happen maybe one time in their life...as the case with the recent shootings if a guy was carrying concealed right then for his once in a life time situation then we might have seen a different situation where shortly after he started he was killed.

Pick your poison....but I'm not one to be a sheep as the wolves come.

Well I guess if you live in a country where people are ultimately selfish and have no community spirit and lack the intelligence to provide local produce, I guess you have no choice.

Britain in WW2, when people cared.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join