It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN: "Is Gun Control The Answer?" Here We Go Again.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
If you're referring to Piers Morgan tonight on CNN----in my opinion Morgan, the guy from the Brady campaign and the kid who was shot at Virginia Tech p'wned David Kopel from the Cato Institute.

There's no way a kid who is having a psychotic break should be able to buy 6,000 rounds for an assault rifle unquestioned. We need a little more big government in cases like this. Go ahead and call me a shill.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If gun control is not the answer then what is? Our gun laws are already liberal enough to where almost anyone can buy an assault rifle, shotguns and bullet proof vest without questions.

How many more tragedies will we have to endure before more regulations and background checks are placed? People have a right to defend themselves and their families, but do you really need an assault rifle and multiple shotguns with thousands of rounds?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Gun control is not the answer. Gun control turns anybody who owns a firearm of any sort into a criminal. That is collective punishment, and America is supposed to be about individual rights.

Now, I have no problems with increasing jail time to a minimum of ten years without parole for committing a crime with a firearm, if convicted.

But no, I am not in favor of firearm control of any sort.

It is a right, not a privilege.

Well said , I Agree . In the REAL WORLD , Firearms are used Mainly as a Deterrent in Preventing Personal Bodily Harm , and in other cases Preserving the Peace during times of Civil Unrest . Those who use them for Other Illegal Purposes should be dealt with more Harshly by being Prosecuted to the Highest Extent of the Law........

edit on 20-7-2012 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
...but do you really need an assault rifle and multiple shotguns with thousands of rounds?

To defend ourselves against a tyrannical government, yes. Now sit down and shut it.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I am really tired of hearing from the MSM every time there is a gun related tragedy that we need more gun control. You rarely hear about all the incidents where firearms saved someone's life. The media doesn't seem to like to report cases where having a firearm is beneficial. The mass majority of gun related crime is committed with illegally obtained firearms. Law abiding people don't buy firearms to commit crimes.

In the cases of mass murders that are committed with legal firearms were committed by mentally deranged people and I personally believe that if these nut jobs wanted to get their hands on a firearm they would. Gun control or not.

As several people have said before me here, stricter gun control only hurts law abiding citizens. I am just tired of the liberal media using these tragedies as excuses to drum up their gun control rhetoric.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

How about a better system of mental health care? Like one that can be accessed by people other than the rich?

Even if I was a convicted felon, I can get my hands on guns and bullets. All I would have to do is get in contact with some gang members. Hells angels, crips, latin kings, it doesn't matter which. They can all hook me up with some black market #. Denying everyone else guns is not going to improve that situation. I can improvise and make my own if I was really desperate. I could make my own explosives as well, It's not really that hard.
edit on Fri, 20 Jul 2012 23:11:03 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

When you hunt all kinds of game, in all kinds of areas, yes. You can't kill a moose with a .22, and although you could kill a rabbit with an elephant gun, you won't be getting any meat from it. If you are within a certain range of houses, you have to use a shotgun, otherwise you can use a rifle. Different tools, for different applications. Simple as that.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
In my opinion it's not so much about more or less gun control. Although, I am very pro 2nd amendment. Where the hell did they get the tear gas as part of their diabolical plan?!?! Riddle me that batman...

Feel your pain "Benrl", been in the military for over 11 years and have had to do some things that will stay with me till the day I die. When it comes to family, loved ones, and those close to you, in that instance, you do what you know in your heart to be right and true. Never second guess your actions. Stay strong my friend!
edit on 20-7-2012 by SilentRoom because: Comment addition...

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I gotta hand it you Americans, as a Canadian i could never walk my street knowing that the crazy guy just passed me on the sidewalk has access to gun or i can get hit by a stray bullet anytime or that someone can kill me from a distance without me even knowing it.

I'm glad Canadian cities does not have Guns. But i can understand American, you guys grow up with it, you might feel powerless without it also you know how strong it can be. But sadly human are easily swayed with emotion, i rather have a fighting chance with a guy who has a knife instead of a guy with a gun who just "didn't like my attitude".

This is my opinion, and just wanted to point out i feel safer without guns, what you guys favour in the states has nothing to do with how i feel about guns. If guns get more easy access in states that are closer to Canadian border, then i would like the border to increase securities from gun smuggling into Canada.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Because prohibition of anything works so well. It worked so well for alcohol. It works fantastically for drugs.

There's that old saying that outlawing guns makes sure that only outlaws will have them. I notice how it was true for alcohol in the 20s and it's true for drugs today.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

You would fit in in most major cities in the states. You are a city slicker. Don't wander into the country in Canada though, you might crap your pants. Us countryboys in Canada got lots of guns too FYI.

It's funny though, compare the crime rates between the cities and country areas. Cities have a huge crime compared to the country, while on small town in the country can have more guns than a city.
edit on Fri, 20 Jul 2012 23:35:17 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

You would fit in in most major cities in the states. You are a city slicker. Don't wander into the country in Canada though, you might crap your pants. Us countryboys in Canada got lots of guns too FYI.

Haha respect, i been to friends place, they live far north of Toronto, farm areas, where coyote and black bears and what not lives, i agree they need guns, i mean their backyard is a frkin forest, no fence or nothing, i would be paranoid to sleep at night.

But still, i never really met a Canadian "red neck" that waves the gun around like a toy.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I never met an american redneck that did either

Country folks in general, you won't see that type of behavior. Kinda like you never see lumberjacks threatening people with chainsaws. Taught from an early age that it is not a toy, and you don't mess around. I remember getting my ass beat for pointing my red rider in the direction of a person, back before I had a gun. Country folks don't use guns as props, or toys, that will get your ass beaten by the elders

Yeah here we got bears, lynx, wolverines, huge wolves and coyotes to deal with. Fun stuff eh

Truth be told, I would take all those critters and my guns, over crazy humans in the city anyday.
edit on Sat, 21 Jul 2012 00:05:51 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Gun Control means hitting your target

Plain & Simple...

I'm also considering buying a large kennel crate and a ticket to ship Piers Morgan back across the pond... although I hear they hate him there too.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Golf66

So and then the rats and mice will be out of control - trading one problem for another is nonsense.

Hold on. No one said anything about mice. If there's a mouse problem, there's another solution for that. Jail time, or hell.
What works for one problem, will not work for another. And if solving one problem creates another, IMPROVISE. That's what we're good at, right?

Stop making excuses and start making solution. People are getting shot, people are dying because of guns. Because even if good people don't want to use guns, bad guys will. What do you do in that situation, hmm? Some people hate guns, so they refuse to carry them. Then they meet some guy who has a gun, and what's more, he has no problem shooting an innocent old lady in the face for her money. What's she supposed to do?

If guns were outlawed, that man would never have had a gun. And even if he did, that old lady would have a taser, because it would be advised. Replace all mace with tasers. Let's see a man fire a gun when he has 2,000 volts pouring through his groin.

We don't need guns. We have electricity. I've never seen a man pick a fight with lightning and walk away the same.

edit on 20-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

Do you even read the stuff that you ramble on about, you make absolutely no sense at all even your analogies don't make any sense. And what gives you the right to try and take away mine and every other American's constitutionally protected right to bear arms from law abiding citizens?

Most of you Pro Gun Control sheeple have never even handled nor owned a firearm before and somewhere along the way you have been brainwashed that guns are the enemy and world peace will happen once guns are banned from law abiding citizens, because that is the only people that will be affected by Gun Control well I take that back you'll also be responsible for putting millions of people out of work in manufacturing and ammunition industries that produce components and accessories for firearms, you'll also be responsible a major crash to the stock market because firearms is "BIG" business in America and one of the most profitable even during the last stock market fiasco they were making record profits.

Unemployment will then go from the current 10% to about 20-25% and if that happens with this government that can't even sustain itself at its current pace will implode on itself and then top that off with government agents going door to door stripping a persons rights away from them, then you have the ingredients for a Civil War and the peace that you nutjobs think you'll create with banning guns will actually be the opposite, you'll be responsible for sparking a war on the streets in America. Im now done trying to reason with you because your mind is so one-sided and bias you fail to see the whole picture, you only wanna see the picture you have made up in your mind "chirping birds and butterflies".

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

You know, Uzis are illegal in the U.S.

Not quite chief. They are, in fact, legal.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Not worth my time.
edit on 21-7-2012 by litterbaux because: Sheep

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Police die in China knife rampage

A man has stormed into a police station in the Chinese city of Shanghai and stabbed at least five officers to death, officials said.

Tractor rampage attack in China kills 11

A drunken man on a tractor has killed 11 people and injured many in a rampage in northern China, the local government has revealed.

Tokyo stabbing: Five killed as man goes on knife rampage in Akihabara

A man went on a knife rampage through Tokyo's popular electronics district on Sunday killing as many as five people.

Fourteen people have also been injured and five of the victims suffered cardiac arrest, according to reports.

8 students killed in China knife attack

BEIJING — A former medical worker stabbed to death eight young children and wounded five others Tuesday in a bloody rampage outside an elementary school in eastern China, authorities said.

People will find a way to commit massacres no matter what. Gun control only takes guns out of law abiding citizens hands.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Being European, I am in favour of gun controls.
But this is a very long & passionate debate.
I just want to ask something, why is this kind of thing so common in the US, and almost never in Europe?
I have a US friend with whom I was discussing about the killing of Merah in Toulouse, France (this guy killed 9 people - 4 soldiers and some kids).
This Merah thing was huge in France, and my US friend asked me why is everyone so upset about it? In US it is a very common thing, he killed "only" 9 people...
So, even before jumping to the "control guns" conclusion, I would really like to understand why these things happen so often in the US (Columbine, Virgina tech, etc.) compared to Europe, eventhough US & Europe have similar societies/cultures.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by KarmaComa
reply to post by jude11

Being European, I am in favour of gun controls.
But this is a very long & passionate debate.
I just want to ask something, why is this kind of thing so common in the US, and almost never in Europe?
I have a US friend with whom I was discussing about the killing of Merah in Toulouse, France (this guy killed 9 people - 4 soldiers and some kids).
This Merah thing was huge in France, and my US friend asked me why is everyone so upset about it? In US it is a very common thing, he killed "only" 9 people...
So, even before jumping to the "control guns" conclusion, I would really like to understand why these things happen so often in the US (Columbine, Virgina tech, etc.) compared to Europe, eventhough US & Europe have similar societies/cultures.

Good question and I believe the answer lies with the US being a Warrior culture. Always has been and always will be.

So many wars, false flags, invasions, occupations to list. Americans stand by the gun.

Having said that, there is the other side of using guns for protection rather than aggression. Therein lies the problem.

While many will only use a gun to protect family, friends, property and freedom, many others are consistently brainwashed into a type of machismo of the gun through film, games, historical heroes and even outlaws revered as American icons.

This is what kids see. This is what kids learn.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join