It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN: "Is Gun Control The Answer?" Here We Go Again.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
"after a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it" - William Burroughs.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dentsinger

Really logical isn't it? Three guns did some damage that night, while another 5 million guns were sitting there looking pretty. Somehow all those other guns out there are to blame and need to be taken away.....

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Every time there is one of these mass shootings in the USA, every one (even far right politicians) expresses outrage, but no one wants to have a serious conversation about gun control.

Countries with Gun Control have low gun crime, it's a proven statistic.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist
What makes my crazy is they call this "Horror at Theater 9"

Likes its a damn movie of the week.

They sensationalize everything for ratings. They have NO shame. It's all about pulling viewers from other channels, that is all.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Countries with Gun Control have low gun crime, it's a proven statistic.

Sure but then the other violent crimes skyrocket..... Take Autralia for example

AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.

Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.

Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:

Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.

During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.

Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.

Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.

Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.

Source
edit on Fri, 20 Jul 2012 19:05:55 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
A requirement of citizenship is to engage in the constructs of the Constitution. It is your duty to engage in the 1st amendment and speak out. It is your duty engage in the 2nd ammendment and to be armed and ready. (Ready means trained in safety, sane, responsible). If that theater was full of citizens packin heat, he'd only get a couple before he was put down.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity People are getting shot, people are dying because of guns.

That is perhaps one of the most illogical of fallacies I have heard in a while.

People are killed by other people, sometimes those people use guns, sometimes they use a car on the sidewalk, sometimes they use poison, and sometimes they use a knife or baseball bat, or (gasp!) even sometimes their bare hands...

The method of killing is not the cause - the cause is mental instability in some cases, in some cases it's just a lack of morals and good judgment. The reason is always a conscious choice on the part of a person. An inanimate object cannot chose to do anything.

Originally posted by AfterInfinity Because even if good people don't want to use guns, bad guys will. What do you do in that situation, hmm? Some people hate guns, so they refuse to carry them. Then they meet some guy who has a gun, and what's more, he has no problem shooting an innocent old lady in the face for her money. What's she supposed to do?

If you hate guns don't carry one...no one makes you. However, if you chose not to then don't complain when you become a victim. Your choice.

Originally posted by AfterInfinity If guns were outlawed, that man would never have had a gun. And even if he did, that old lady would have a taser, because it would be advised. Replace all mace with tasers. Let's see a man fire a gun when he has 2,000 volts pouring through his groin.

Um, again what logic is this - why would this man's choice to have a criminal firearm have to do with the ladies choice to buy a taser? Will you mandate all old ladies carry them. What if the old lady doesn't like tasers?

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

We don't need guns. We have electricity. I've never seen a man pick a fight with lightning and walk away the same.

I suppose the old adage of - don't bring a knife (or in this case taser) to a gun fight would be lost on you.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I agree. The gun control argument will definitely spin up again. I am hoping it goes nowhere as more laws aren't the answer. But what I fear is coming is more TSA style checkpoints. At malls, concerts, six flags type parks, and anywhere people gather. This is especially problematic for me, and anyone like me. I have medical implants that cannot go through metal detectors. I won't fly now because I resent being treated like a criminal or terrorist. So when this police state kicks into high gear to protect those who won't protect themselves. I guess I get to stay home for the rest of my life. I already avoid six flags, airports and the like for the same reason. I fear this will leave me few places to go soon. Though I do own and frequently carry guns (legally). I don't think this is really an answer either. It is however my answer for now at least. God help us all...

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
And the Police State creeps ever closer...
www.cnn.com...

"Today, and in the immediate future, the LAPD will be providing high-visibility patrol to major theaters in Los Angeles, as well as other sporting events, concerts and crowded venues," police said in a statement.

That didn't take very long.

Peace

edit on 20-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fondue
reply to post by jude11

I agree. The gun control argument will definitely spin up again. I am hoping it goes nowhere as more laws aren't the answer. But what I fear is coming is more TSA style checkpoints. At malls, concerts, six flags type parks, and anywhere people gather. This is especially problematic for me, and anyone like me. I have medical implants that cannot go through metal detectors. I won't fly now because I resent being treated like a criminal or terrorist. So when this police state kicks into high gear to protect those who won't protect themselves. I guess I get to stay home for the rest of my life. I already avoid six flags, airports and the like for the same reason. I fear this will leave me few places to go soon. Though I do own and frequently carry guns (legally). I don't think this is really an answer either. It is however my answer for now at least. God help us all...

I got a letter from my doctor to explain the detector going off. While I get some weird reactions I just give it to the screener before I enter the machine. It's suspicious IMO if you wat till it goes off then start explaining.

I never really have any problems with TSA.

However, I have had problems with the courthouse who at first gave me some nonsense about an out of State doctor and the age of the letter. Until I called the supervisor and explained that the hardware will be there forever and getting a new letter all the time is an onerous requirement. That and my showing him the scars and stating Iraq, etc., it wasn't a big deal. The kid on the desk was young and was very apologetic after.

I have retained hardware in my neck back and knee.

The neck one makes the machine go off depending on the setting the knee one always makes it go off the back one is small (couple screws and a small rod) and doesn't even make the wand go off.

Anyway, don't be a prisoner - talk to your doctor. It's not a big deal really - unless it’s some personal or embarrassing area you have hardware - which I can see might bother some people.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

reply to post by benrl

Of course because taking guns out of law abiding citizens hands is the answer.

That's always the response. "Law abiding citizens need guns to defend themselves."

They only need guns against bad guys who also have guns. Half the time, it's bad guys who used to be law abiding citizens suddenly grabbing their gun and going berzerk. Take away all guns, and we'll only have knifes and sticks to fight with. Better chances all around. If you know some good self defense, a guy with a knife might as well be a clown with a banana.

Level the playing ground a little, yeah?

Uh, except that people still get guns. Illegally, through the black market. Guns are banned in china and the UK yet, guess what... people still get shot.

Completely shooting your hypothesis in the foot.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeatherofMaat
reply to post by jude11

Stop your clucking you uninformed moron. Gun control IS the answer. This is 25 years of Prosecution speaking. Our gun laws are insane and you are a special type of fool for believing otherwise. You people are dangerous and America is dying thanks to your ignorance.

Well at least I'm special!

Yeah, let's just have all those in uniform have the guns because that's always worked out so well for the unarmed populace. And that goes back much further than 25 years.

I suppose that you would also be one of those with a permit as well.

Let's face it. It's a crappy World and nothing can be done about it until everything goes boom and we have a do over. Until then, guns are here to stay because unfortunately we need them to protect ourselves against not only the nutcases on the streets but the monsters in the mansions.

THIS is the reality we have and no amount of insults will change my mind.

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Gun control or carry permits won't stop mass murder

Hmmm...it's strange mass murder happens all the time in other countries like Iran and Afghanistan. Yet we freak out when it happens in our own country...makes me sick to be american that something has to happen to us for people to even comprehend.
edit on 20-7-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
lets outlaw all guns then box cutters they were used in taking down two buildings then what. what about stronger penaltys you kill and convicted you die not get to watch cable TV & get rich with a life story on 2020 let the familys of the dead deside his fate... our government is eating this up..hey gun sales are only going to go up..

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Gun control and carry permits won't stop murder, but it'll sure as hell make it more difficult. Plus, more consequences should you be caught with one. With a nation-wide ban on firearms using projectiles, how easy do you think it will be to use a gun without having every cop in the state looking for you?

Guns will be like leaving a fingerprint at a crime scene. I'm all for this gun control thing. I hate guns. Guns used to be a good thing, but now, there's too much temptation. We're too out of control. And when a cat gets too wild...

You take its claws away.

Uh it's already illegal to kill people.and cops routinely hassle folks for open carry where open carry is perfectly legal.
Issuing more carry permits will encourage more law abiding citizens to train, qualify and carry.
There we agree: that WOULD make mass shootings more difficult ( to complete).

Otherwise your thinking scares me fellow "countryman"...
You seem to be amenable to( forthcoming?) street corner tsa body scanners/checkpoints fishing for newly imposed weapons violations.

No thanks
edit on 20-7-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If this event is used to approve of the global gun ban this 27th then I only have 1 word to sum this up.

PSYWAR.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.soberliving.com...
edit on 20-7-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
How many tons of drugs enter the US illegally every year.

Ban guns and the criminals will start bringing them in by the boatload
and likely they will be full auto weapons.

In the last few years the number of gun murders has dropped by over 50%. the number of concealed carry permits have gone up over 300%.
Does any one else see the correlation here,

More and more mass killings are taking place where holders of concealed carry permits can not carry.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLegend
If this event is used to approve of the global gun ban this 27th then I only have 1 word to sum this up.

PSYWAR.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.soberliving.com...
edit on 20-7-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

And that's the one to watch.

Guaranteed there is going to be a lot more to sway the public opinion after this event.

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

reply to post by benrl

Of course because taking guns out of law abiding citizens hands is the answer.

That's always the response. "Law abiding citizens need guns to defend themselves."

They only need guns against bad guys who also have guns. Half the time, it's bad guys who used to be law abiding citizens suddenly grabbing their gun and going berzerk. Take away all guns, and we'll only have knifes and sticks to fight with. Better chances all around. If you know some good self defense, a guy with a knife might as well be a clown with a banana.

Level the playing ground a little, yeah?

Yep Guns are the problem! Answer me this one::
How many mass shootings have EVER occurred at gun shows? Shooting ranges?
There are several hundred guns and lbs and lbs of ammunition per participant

evil;evil guns..

My hand gun has never left its holster by itself.Nor my rifle ever left it's storage locker for a little unauthorized R&R..
:

Thought Added:

You know "bad guys" not withstanding the right to keep and bear arms is based solely on the founders fears of a tyrannical govt. NOT hunting; NOT "Sporting purposes" or even: "self defense from armed intruders" ( right to "life" covers that one).

We are currently experiencing a time when the constitution is considered a malleable "living document" not the bedrock firmament envisioned by the founders.Take all the guns out of citizens hands( an impossibility)and the govt still has theirs. When Some president( not dem or repub but) of the "new fascists party"takes over in 3or four terms and decides the tsa apparatus is his personal domestic praetorian guard.

and they decide to search your house( You "cyber-activist";subversive- terrorist) and have their way with your daughter What can you do yell: "I'll Sue!!!!!" I'll file a formal complaint With the dept. of Love?
At some point we were bequeathed the means to return our govt to its rightful box. Yes they "are" the military and have the best toys.That's not the point. They at least have to consider us if armed.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join