It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN: "Is Gun Control The Answer?" Here We Go Again.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Guess you should have taken some jujitsu classes. Wouldn't have needed that gun...

This is a ridiculous statement. You don't know how old this person was at the time or what state of health he was in! If a firearm isn't available, a nice aluminum baseball bat will do significant brain and skull trauma. Next!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I'm glad Canadian cities does not have Guns.

So, you believe there are no guns in all of Canada? I just want to understand your thoughts here. Canada must be a wonderful place to live. Canada must also be drug-free as well, because illicit drugs are illegal as well in Canada.

Now let's look at this chart. Yes, it does demonstrate that per 100,000, there are more homicides committed in the United States. But it debunks your notion that criminals aren't using guns while committing crimes. Additionally, death by blunt trauma or beatings and death by stabbings is considerably higher. Killing another person with a knife or with enough blunt trauma to end their life is incredibly personal and violent. Gun-related deaths are less personal than beating another human to death. We may have more guns on the streets and more gun-related injuries and deaths, but it appears your criminals are far more aggressive and violent than our criminals in the U.S.

Now, I love Canada and Canadians. I go to Canada every chance I can. I live in Upstate NY so its close. But if you're going to make a statement that your country doesn't have guns because its against the law, well, then, expect to get flamed! It was an awful naive statement.

Homicides per 100,000

U.S. vs Canada Homicides

edit on 22-7-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Here in Americia we've done such an amazing job at regulating/ banning illegal drugs ( *sarcasm *) why don't we apply that same concept to our guns?

Criminals and those people who wish to use guns to commit acts of violenece will still have access to guns. In fact strengthening gun laws or banning guns outright will only create a lucrative black market which I guess might create jobs here in America.

More cops to arrest gun dealers and more adventurous types to run and deal in illegal weapons is that the type of economic stimulus we need?

Gun laws only apply to those willing to obey the law.

All laws only apply to those willing to obey the law.

Lawbreakers will still find ways to break the law.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

reply to AtcGod

Society truly has a sick and twisted view on what is acceptable behavior. It breeds selfishness and greed. Truly sad.

reply to AtcGod

Just get rid of them. Guns are not necessary in today's world. How can you deny that it would not benefit society?

I propose that only law enforcement officers have guns.

Allow police officers to drag anyone they find with a gun into the street and execute them on the spot. Let people see what will happen if they carry a death machine.

You get caught with a gun, you get shot in the head on the spot. Done. That will deter folks from wanting to illegally have guns in a gun free society.

You're right.......Society truly has a sick and twisted view on what is acceptable behavior. It's logic and reasoning such as yours why people will always want guns, need guns and own guns, .

Because people with your mentality become cops and politicians.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

Or is it you think black people that dress like batman couldnt possible know anything about hunting.

No dude! It's the fact that the hangar hook for the mask is sitting between your ears that destroys your credibility. Nah, just joking. You've made some really good points. I've always been a DC fan over Marvel too!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by XcytaBill
Here in Americia we've done such an amazing job at regulating/ banning illegal drugs ( *sarcasm *) why don't we apply that same concept to our guns?

Criminals and those people who wish to use guns to commit acts of violenece will still have access to guns. In fact strengthening gun laws or banning guns outright will only create a lucrative black market which I guess might create jobs here in America.

More cops to arrest gun dealers and more adventurous types to run and deal in illegal weapons is that the type of economic stimulus we need?

Yes, whatever position I take on gun laws, actually wanting this government to have the power to go door to door and take away the peoples guns, seems too dangerous to want.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Allow police officers to drag anyone they find with a gun into the street and execute them on the spot. Let people see what will happen if they carry a death machine. You get caught with a gun, you get shot in the head on the spot. Done. That will deter folks from wanting to illegally have guns in a gun free society.

Now you know why people will be keeping their guns.

Scary stuff there...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I gotta hand it you Americans, as a Canadian i could never walk my street knowing that the crazy guy just passed me on the sidewalk has access to gun or i can get hit by a stray bullet anytime or that someone can kill me from a distance without me even knowing it.

I can walk down the street feeling safe. You know why? because ~I~ have a gun. The difference is, I am not crazy and I am not going to be shooting anyone for laffs.

Also, I resent your characterization of the US as some kind of war zone with bullets flying everywhere and snipers on rooftops. This is not Syria, Jack.

I worry about walking down the street in some small Canadian town and getting my foot caught in a bear trap and having to chew my own leg off to survive.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

Allow police officers to drag anyone they find with a gun into the street and execute them on the spot. Let people see what will happen if they carry a death machine. You get caught with a gun, you get shot in the head on the spot. Done. That will deter folks from wanting to illegally have guns in a gun free society.

Now you know why people will be keeping their guns.

Scary stuff there...

You got that right.

Allow me to reiterate this BS: "You get caught with a gun, you get shot in the head on the spot. Done. That will deter folks from wanting to illegally have guns in a gun free society."

Yep, that sure sounds like a free society to me.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AtcGod

Just get rid of them. Guns are not necessary in today's world. How can you deny that it would not benefit society?

I know "Well people will find another way to kill people." That is just a lame argument. Fact is clearly that if no one had guns in the U.S. then the number of useless deaths would go down drastically.

The problem is we love violence. It is entertainment, it's funny, it's fun etc... we love it and it is a big part of our society. That is our problem, or more not so much as a problem, but who we are.

People say it is impossible to get rid of all the guns and that people will just carry them illegally.

Well you know what? I disagree.

Allow police officers to drag anyone they find with a gun into the street and execute them on the spot. Let people see what will happen if they carry a death machine.

You get caught with a gun, you get shot in the head on the spot. Done. That will deter folks from wanting to illegally have guns in a gun free society.

That's the spirit!!!

I think that country is called North Korea, but if you want mass killings this is the way to go. Also think about everyone would fight to the death in all cases. I would not want to be either the guy with a gun nor the cop...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I wondered how long it would take the American Media to start this nonsense. The Clinton News Network (CNN)
took the bait and ran with it. I hope it fry's their gizzards.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I think this is an excellent example of how it would NOT benefit society: Thank goodness Sam was there!

Weapons Used in Violent Crimes

I would post the stats from that link but it's clearly marked 'copyright,' so I can't; you'll have to use the link to see the stats. But I will say that the FBI findings in those stats show that 87.3% of "very serious rape, robbery and assault" during the 10 year time frame during which the statistics were taken had nothing to do with guns.

I know "Well people will find another way to kill people." That is just a lame argument. Fact is clearly that if no one had guns in the U.S. then the number of useless deaths would go down drastically.

"Fact?" Really? This is ATS, where ignorance is supposed to be denied. If you're going to cite a "fact," you'd better source it; otherwise, it's just YOUR opinion. You're entitled to your own opinion; you're not entitled to your own "facts." What about the murders/attempted murders/violent committed with knives, machetes, rope, crowbars, screwdrivers, wire, baseball bats (see link above) and any number of other "harmless" items? Will you ban those, too? Cars? Cars kill when driven by drunk and/or texting drivers. Are cars next on your list? Skidoos kill, too. Ask Usher's ex-wife.
Where do you stop your banning?

And then what do you do about rogue law enforcement officers? I believe that the vast greater majority of our LEOs are fine, upstanding people who put their lives on the line every day for all of us; however, it cannot be denied that there is a percentage that are rogue - whether they start out that way or the extreme stress of their jobs cause them to snap. End result: you still end up with 'broken' people in possession of firearms. What's your answer for that?

People say it is impossible to get rid of all the guns and that people will just carry them illegally.

Well you know what? I disagree.

You're allowed to disagree and, bearing that in mind, you're also allowed to be wrong which is exactly what you are. HOW are you going to get guns away from criminals or prevent them from building firearms out of random pieces and parts? You ARE aware criminals do that, no? Look at Countries who have banned guns and see who still has possession of them.

I'll start you off with Australia: From the National Center for Policy Analysis: AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

Others: Gun Control Myths (NOTE: customarily I would not include a "pro" link to prove a point; however, the site cites the sources for their information; therefore, they've validated their claims).

So, with all the power, how long 'til they abuse it? Thank the Creator that you're only "Batman" and not fully in charge of policy. There have been a few places that had policies similar to that. You might look up WWII Germany and China during the reign of Mao Zedong. Have a look at this page Genocides in History How many do you think would be alive if they had the means to protect themselves?

The Jews (and everyone else) were disarmed, but look what a few people did with only "a handful of pistols, 17 rifles, and Molotov cocktails:" Warsaw Ghetto Uprising

Your knowledge of history is abysmal. The proven outcome of what you describe has NEVER worked and that's been proven historically time and again. Do you have a wife, kids, parents, siblings, friends? Is THAT what you really want for them? Are you so arrogant you think it could never happen in the U.S.? Well, it's already happened here once ~ just ask any Native American; we'll be glad to tell you all about it.

I do not own guns but I support the rights of those who do. That 2nd Amendment IS our freedom from tyranny.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
In 2008:

UK firearm-related murders: 39 (equivalent to 195 US murders)
US firearm-related murders: 9,146

I think that kind of flies in the face of the old "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" chestnut.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Troofseeker
In 2008:

I think that kind of flies in the face of the old "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" chestnut.

So are you saying that because more per capita deaths in the US that it is the guns rather than the people who use them to commit their crimes are the issue?

I think only in cartoons do inanimate objects make choices for themselves. Behind every crime is a person choosing to commit it; therefore the problem is the people not the tool they used.

Have you ever taken a logic class or one in critical thinking. You can draw no logical conclusion that the gun is the actor in the crime from the data you present. The actor in all cases is the person - who is to say that the crime would not have taken place absent the availability of a firearm. Many other tools can be used to cause traumatic death. Cars, poison, kitchen knives, sports equipment, even a person's hands...etc.

Would you pad all the table edges in case a person should be pushed and fall? We cannot live in plastic bubble wrapped suits "for the good of the children".

Your argument has zero grounding in fact.

Bottom line is people commit crime not inanimate objects...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

In 2008:

U.S. population 2010: 308,745,538
U.K. population 2010: 62,641,000

Percentage for firearm-related murders U.S.: 0.00186%
Percentage for firearm-related murders U.K.: 0.00006%

Percentage-wise, fewer in the U.K. than the in the U.S? Yes. Proof that gun control works? NO! You still have people dead due to firearms because criminals still possess firearms.

What about overall crime? I believe that overall crime rates are very indicative of the violent nature of a society, guns or no guns. Lets have a look at that:

From NationMaster Crime Statistics :

Total crimes U.S.: 11,877,218
Total crimes U.K.: 6,523,705

If we use the 2010 census information above:

Total crimes U.S. per population percentage: 3.84692%
Total crimes U.K. per population percentage: 10.41443%

Which seems to indicate it IS people that kill and NOT the weapon acting independently.

Ya'll have some mighty violent folks over there! Wonder how many would NOT be victims if they still had the means to protect themselves?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Try proposing to the citizens living British Columbia or Montana or Alaska to give up their firearms. Here, the populace is definitely not on the top of the food chain. People carry weapons to fend themselves off from bears, wolves, large cats, etc. Firearms are necessary in regions like this, they are a way of life. Hardly for entertainment purposes.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

He's delusional. I made a rebuttal to his post as well. Yes, per 100,000 people we have more homicides in the U.S., however, deaths caused from blunt force or beatings and stabbings are significantly higher in Canada than in the United States. To me, gun related deaths and injuries are less personal than being beaten to death or stabbed to death. You need proximity to stab someone or kick them in the head enough times to kill them. Basically, the way Canadians kill each other is far more aggressive and disturbing.

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Below you will find estimates of rulers (in the last one hundred years) who disarmed their populations
and then killed, tortured, starved, exiled, or enslaved their populations. These are very conservative
estimates....

Mao Ze-Dong, China, died 1976...........0ver 30 million men women and children slaughtered
(over one tenth the population of the United States)

Adolf Hitler, Germany, died 1945.........Over 5 million men women and children slaughtered
(50 modern football stadiums filled to capacity)

Pol Pot, Cambodia, died 1998...............Over 1.5 million men women and children,
enslaved, worked to death, or executed
(15 modern football stadiums filled to capacity)

Joseph Stalin, Russia, died 1953...........Over 1 million executed, ten million starved, ten million
exiled or enslaved
(210 modern football stadiums filled to capacity)

Idi Amin, Uganda, died 2004...............Over 1 hundred thousand executed, including entire
villages of men women and children

This is what happens when only the government and police have guns.

any questions or arguments?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
i dont think anyone needs a gun bigger than neccesary to protect themselves from a bear. get caught w anything bigger like an ar-15 like the one the colorado shooter used = automatic jail time. anyone caught w a gun w out proper gun license = automatic jail time. people should also have yearly mental health screenings if they want to own guns.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

In 2008:

In 2008 the murder rate for the UK was 1.26 for every one hundred thousand people.
(the lowest murder rate in the last previous twenty years for the UK)

In 2008 the murder rate for Switzerland was .71 for every one hundred thousand people.
(average murder rate--citizens legally required to possess firearms and training--higher
per capita gun ownership rate than in the US)

People kill people....

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join