It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SF area may tax drivers per mile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

timesleader.com

The proposal is a long way from becoming reality. But under the scenario, drivers would likely have to install GPS-like trackers on their cars to tally travel in the nine-county Bay Area, from freeways to neighborhood streets, with only low-income people exempted.

Transportation planners know they would have a tough time selling such a radical plan but argue the goal of the so-called VMT (vehicle miles traveled) tax is to reduce traffic and pollution while raising revenue needed to fill potholes and bolster public transit service.

The Metropolitan Transportation Commission is leading the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I don't live anywhere near California but really? Taxing people per mile? Gas is ridiculous as is without adding a special GPS to your own car to show tptb where you went, how far you drive AND make you pay for it! According to the article, it would add about 1300 yearly to a person's spending. It's to stop polution etc.

I say it's to be even more nosy than they already are. Disgusting.

timesleader.com

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Here that? It's the little quikes of minds working, trying to figure out how to make more money.

I have heard this thought a couple times. Personally, I don't think anything will ever come of it. At least in my life time.

I know I'm dating myself here, but when I was growing up in the south. We had an old truck sitting under a tree. By looking at it, you would have thought it was just a piece of junk rusting away. Well, the thing ran. And my cousin's and I were able to drive this old thing around the farm. I could barely reach the pedals, and I had to really stretch to see out the window. But us kids would pile in that thing and take lunch to Uncle Jim who was out on the combine.

I was driving at the age of 10. Most of the kids my age knew how to drive. I learned how to trailer a boat at the age of 13.
Some of these laws we have on the books today are due to people who don't have common sense. Anyone that would vote in favor of such a law or tax, has no common sense.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I live in CA and heard about this on the news the other day.

There's no way it's going to pass. There would be riots in the streets.

edit on 20-7-2012 by Pazuzu67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
If that ever happens here in Illinois, I would have to quit my job.

I am curently driving 100 miles one way to work every day. That is 1000 miles a week.

Why in the hell would anyone want to tax soemone for tyring to make a living, Oh wait they already do that with the income tax.

Man we are all really screwed.

The politicians are trying(and succeding) in bringing this great nation down.

New law for this, tax that, we need to fire everyone of these people and start over
With the people to be the first priority.

If they would cut a little from the defense budget, we could have all of the roads fixed. Instead of "fighting for our country", we could be rebuilding our country.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I don't really understand what is happening in San Francisco. This is absolutely nuts. It seems like there is always something mind defying coming from that city. I understand the need to raise money to maintain the highways but California has the nations second or third highest gasoline tax at over 32 cents a gallon. Given the size of California's economy and population there shouldn't be any funding issues.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I guess I will be driving vintage cars till I die.

Or until I can jailbreak a new car.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833

timesleader.com

The proposal is a long way from becoming reality. But under the scenario, drivers would likely have to install GPS-like trackers on their cars to tally travel in the nine-county Bay Area, from freeways to neighborhood streets, with only low-income people exempted.

Transportation planners know they would have a tough time selling such a radical plan but argue the goal of the so-called VMT (vehicle miles traveled) tax is to reduce traffic and pollution while raising revenue needed to fill potholes and bolster public transit service.

The Metropolitan Transportation Commission is leading the

They are doing this because the masses are the easiest group to tax. The rich and powerful put up too much of fight so the government turn to those who don't put up much of a fight.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I hope this passes so the sheep can wake up and realize the government isn't there for them but in it for themselves. There is no way that people will allow this bill to continue even if it were to be passed. It may be California but even Californians have set limits.

top topics

join