The Magic of the Planted Tank

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Wow!!! These are some really amazing looking setups! I do believe that you just inspired me to break out my 150 gal from the 'ol garage. Aquabotany def is an art of sorts. I have a little 5 gal setup on my dresser that took me a while to adequately balance out the ecosystem (ie. substrate, fish, live plants, Ph+/-). It is so self sufficient that I haven't needed to feed my fish, change the water (albeit ad some due to evaporation), or clean for... eh, going on about 16 months! And that's a minuscule setup to what is shown here. I cannot even fathom how much time, money, and planning went into some of these beautiful display pieces!!! It is awe inspiring tidbits like this that feed the imagination. Great pics all!!!

Peace, Love, and Bacon Grease...
edit on 21-7-2012 by SilentRoom because: M-fing typos...

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Wow, these are really beautiful. They remind me a lot of bonsai.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

River Mud for soil and Wine making for your CO2 are two solutions that will save you some money in setting up and running your planted aquarium. River silt then a layer of sand/gravel and you've got better soil than you can buy at the pet store, and home made wine to sip on while you watch your fish meander about. I had a large mouth bass named Mook for about four years, he got about four pounds on him before he died on us because of a power outage, but what an awesome fish, smart as a dog and alot of personality...
edit on 21-7-2012 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
So Beautiful like a small world.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Totally awesome!

My next goal is to build one big enough I can live in. Wait a minute...

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

You certainly can try many different types of substrates! My main tank consists of normal gravel, but under it I use a layer of laterite (a iron rich clay/soil) which I drive an hour to dig up from a nearby mountain! Onto that I put a layer of zeolite, then a layer of peat moss. I'd love to collect river mud, but due to being in a wheelchair it is too hard for me to access. I tried once to collect river rocks from there, but ended up with my wheels sunk in mud and stuck for hours

With CO2, I started out using coke bottles which you add water, sugar, and then a packet of yeast. Then I had a hose glued into the lid, and bubbled it through a diffuser into the tank. It did work, but it was tricky to keep at a constant rate. But its certainly a great budget way to start!

Wine would end up in me more than for the tank!

To all the others who commented, thankyou! And yes, a 5 or 10 gallon tank is fine to start with! There's some wonderful smaller sized tanks. Search for 'nano planted tank' on google for some ideas. Mosses, Glossostigma, HC, are great for nano tanks. Good luck to all thinking of giving it a go, just read plenty first, there is a lot to take in if you want to have success

top topics

<< 1   >>

join