It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympic sponsors - You must remove non-sponsored clothing when attending.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

What the heck is wrong with Olympics Jeeeez!!! No more sex, no more clothing you chose yourself, rocket launchera on appartement buildings.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure this applies to the athletes only. I am also sure that some athlete, after competing, will attempt to break this rule at the insistance of their primary, non-olympic sponsor.

If they tried to extend this to non-athletes, you would have huge riots on your hands.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Nope.

Spectators.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
From the article :

Locog later issued a statement clarifying its position, saying that "any individual coming into our venues can wear any item of clothing, branded or otherwise". It said: "The only issue is if large groups come in together wearing clearly visible branding."

It will be fun to see how they define a "large group". Is it 2, 3 or more ?
Also what will be defined as "clearly visible branding" ?

Its a pretty slippery slope IMO.
I would not be surprised if there is some abuse coming from the Olympic security.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Weeelll if they pay my admission ticket.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Has anyone ever looked at all the legalites on the back of a ticket stub? When you purchase a ticket to an event, you voluntarily submit to all kinds of regulations. This isn't a violation of anyone's rights, it is just business.

If you don't like it, then don't buy the ticket, and if EVERYONE stops voluntarily submitting to these ridiculous manipulations, then the businesses will eventually regain some common sense.

Just don't buy the ticket, and don't watch the games, and don't shop at the sponsors, and if it happens enough, then it might start to matter.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The Terms and Conditions are specific on this matter.

19.3Forbidden behaviour19.3.1Any behaviour by a Ticket Holder that, in LOCOG’s view, creates a dangerous situation, puts at risk an individual’s personal security, is against public order, interferes in any way with the orderly execution of a Session or disrupts the enjoyment of a Session is forbidden and may result in a refusal of admission to or removal from the Venue without refund.19.3.2The following is an illustrative list of prohibited and restricted behaviour within any Venue: fighting, public drunkenness, smoking, gambling, unauthorised money collection, any activity related to marketing or advertising (including, for the avoidance of doubt individual or group ambush marketing), activity or protest related to unions, political or religious subjects, sale of goods by unauthorised individuals or in unauthorised places (booths, mobile fast food restaurants, refreshment areas, etc), unauthorised Ticket sales, unauthorised transmissions and/or recording through mobile telephones or other instruments (video cameras, tape recorders, etc), entry of unauthorised journalists/reporters with taping or recording equipment and/or video cameras, flash photography, attempting to access restricted areas, requesting money or other goods without authorisation (for example, musicians or singers at the entrance or in the Venue, charity collectors, beggars), standing on Ticketed seats, interfering with the operation of a Session (including, for certain Sessions, the use of mobile telephones), disturbing other Ticket Holders' enjoyment of a Session, disrupting the comfort or safety of other Ticket Holders and any other activity that LOCOG deems dangerous or inappropriate.
London Olympic 2012 ticket T&C

19.4Security inspections19.4.1LOCOG may conduct security searches to ensure safety at a Session. 19.4.2A Ticket Holder who rejects a security search or refuses to comply with rules and security notices published by LOCOG will be required immediately to leave the Venue without refund to the Ticket Holder or Purchaser. 19.5Prompt attendanceTicket Holders should allow sufficient time before the commencement of a Session to access the Venue. Ticket Holders arriving after the commencement of a Session may be required to wait for an appropriate break in a Session before being granted access to his or her Ticketed seat.19.6Filming, photography and taping19.6.1Ticket Holders consent to being photographed, filmed or taped, by LOCOG, by the IOC, by the IPC, or by third parties appointed and/or authorised by them. 19.6.2LOCOG, the IOC, the IPC or third parties appointed and/or authorised by them shall, without requirement of the payment of money or other form of consideration, have the right to broadcast, publish, license and use any such photographs, films, recordings or images of a Ticket Holder in perpetuity. 19.6.3Images, video and sound recordings of the Games taken by a Ticket Holder cannot be used for any purpose other than for private and domestic purposes and a Ticket Holder may not license, broadcast or publish video and/or sound recordings, including on social networking websites and the internet more generally, and may not exploit images, video and/or sound recordings for commercial purposes under any circumstances, whether on the internet or otherwise, or make them available to third parties for commercial purposes.

Very few people actually read any kind of T&C for a great many things.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Not that I'm going to the Olympics, or would ever have a desire to go, but if I did I wouldn't have a problem. I make a conscious effort to only wear clothing which isn't emblazoned with some corporate logo. I don't understand people's obsession with wearing advertising. I'd be happy to wear corporate advertising if the company was going to pay me a regular salary but paying $150 for a shirt that has no other design besides a corporate logo is asinine.

What's worse is that people are getting upset over not being allowed to wear corporate advertising to an event being sponsored by other corporations. Seriously people? Is this what we've come to?

"I can't wear a Pepsi shirt to an event sponsored by Coca Cola!! My rights and freedoms are gone!"

Don't get your marionette strings all tangled up

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

Yes ! Exactly.
I noticed that too.
I always find it funny when people proudly wear branded garments or plaster their cars with these huge power drink or whatever brand stickers.
They are doing free advertising for these corporations. Period.

Thanks for pointing that out. And a star for you.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The fact it's in the fine print doesn't make it right.

I can see an Obama rally saying no to a Romney T-fhirt. I can sure see Pepsi being pissed about a few people going on a plant tour or something in Coke shirts. This is the Olympic Games as a World Event. All Nations, Together In Peace? I swear I've heard those words...or something just like it for the games in general. Now it's become so corporate, someone can say a T-shirt on a customer has the wrong brand to wear?

Uhh... Wow. No.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Who would want to wear something like a Pepsi-Cola, McDonalds etc t-shirt anyway?

Can't see anyone being bothered enough to enforce it - but then again?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
If I were an Olympic athlete, I would wear non-sponsored gear on purpose!

I realize they are trying to enforce this onto spectators, and it's wrong, but those best athletes in the world who have made it to the Olympics because they are the best, have the right to wear anything they want to and SHOULD wear the forbidden gear.

If they forbid the best athletes from competing because of a shirt they wear, it might be a good point to boycott the Olympics from then on.

As far as the spectators, I hope there are vendors outside, a couple of blocks away selling forbidden merchandise to the spectators before they go in.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

The athletes are part of a "team" that is funded by those very sponsors. They have a uniform, and a hotel room, and a flight, and a training center BECAUSE they wear the sponsors logo. They also often have lucrative paying gigs for endorsing products and making appearances and wearing the logo.

IF you were an Olympic athlete, you would definitely be supporting the people that were supporting you, OR, you would be at home watching it on television like the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Kharron

The athletes are part of a "team" that is funded by those very sponsors. They have a uniform, and a hotel room, and a flight, and a training center BECAUSE they wear the sponsors logo. They also often have lucrative paying gigs for endorsing products and making appearances and wearing the logo.

IF you were an Olympic athlete, you would definitely be supporting the people that were supporting you, OR, you would be at home watching it on television like the rest of us.

Exactly why this is wrong.

Olympic athletes are there to compete in the Olympic spirit as the representatives of the best of the human race. It's been done this way since the Greeks started it and has absolutely NOTHING to do with corporate sponsorship -- to hear you even say that is disturbing.

Once again, if I were an Olympic athlete I would protest this obvious trampling of Olympic spirit by wearing exactly what they wouldn't want me to wear. These athletes are there to represent the BEST of us HUMANS in a contest, no matter who is allowed to sponsor it.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

Once again, if I were an Olympic athlete I would protest this obvious trampling of Olympic spirit by wearing exactly what they wouldn't want me to wear. These athletes are there to represent the BEST of us HUMANS in a contest, no matter who is allowed to sponsor it.

In this day and age, you WOULD NOT BE an Olympic athlete without those things. Not unless you have a very wealthy family and a trust fund.

It takes access, trainers, equipment, time, transportation, facilities, etc. It isn't like learning to play a guitar, where all you need is a guitar. It takes extreme focus and commitment, and it is basically impossible without MONEY! Sponsors provide money and access.

I hate it too, but that is the state of the game these days.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

It's no wonder that people still want to go DESPITE this draconian approach to brand control.

Olympics are nothing but a big cash cow.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Many athletes around the world who can barely afford tennis shoes but make it to the Olympics through sheer strength of will and training would disagree with you.

I think you're completely missing the spirit and the idea of the Olympics.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron
reply to post by getreadyalready

Many athletes around the world who can barely afford tennis shoes but make it to the Olympics through sheer strength of will and training would disagree with you.

I think you're completely missing the spirit and the idea of the Olympics.

Good point, I'm looking at it from a purely American standpoint. There are people from all around the world that become elite in their sport without the need for all the fancy junk we have in America, and in fact they often beat our athletes.

BUT, here in America, you'd never make it to the big-time without a sponsor.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Reminds me of high school....
Sad that most people would comply because they went threw the same # at school.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join