It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC Admits Ann Romney did NOT say 'you people'. But Obama DID!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Well, I'll be darn.

shocked I tell you

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Is "you people" interpreted by blacks as racist - as in "you N - words" ?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Reply to post by Vitruvian

no, but if a white person addressed a group of black people and referred to them as 'you people', there is a definite condescending element.

Do you not think so?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitruvian
Is "you people" interpreted by blacks as racist - as in "you N - words" ?

Urban Dictionary

It can be seen as racist .. and it can be seen as not. Depends on the context.
In both cases .. Obama and Ann Romney .. neither situation was in a racist context.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I definitely hear the words "you people", and I have listened to it several times. It is my opinion that she was referencing the media with her statement, and not a specific group of people.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I also heard "you people"

And I find it a condescending and elitist.

How do conservatives like it when an elitist left wing academic refers to rightwing hillbilly genetic throwbacks as "you People"?

Same thing...

How ever I'm sure that Ms Romney doesn't consider my BEAUTIFUL brown skinned Hispanic sweetheart as part of "her People" as most rightwing conservatives don't either.

And without the Hispanic vote....Sr. Romney ain't got jack**** anyway; even if he does pick Condi as a running mate.

edit on 20-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Dear FlyersFan,

This thread is the first thing I saw in the morning and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I started out with a litlle Ha ha! and a bit of schadenfreude and thought, what a perfect example of a test of whether one is consistent in their views.

Then the sadness came in as I read the responses. "I don't care what a thorough analysis of the original tape shows. I'm ignoring that and sticking with my opinion." Geez, what do you guys want? And on a site with the motto this one has?

Where are the people saying "That tape sure fooled me, I guess I was wrong, sorry" And "You're right, I didn't get upset when Obama said it, I guess I'd better check to see if I am being objective or if I've let my emotions run away with me."

Guys, this is a great opportunity to look at ourselves and see if we're being fair and reasonable, or just partisan and knee-jerk. Thanks, FlyersFan, for putting it up.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Oh boy, the lengths liberals will go to to make a mountain of a mole hill to sell their bigotry.

Sad but true.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I listened and WATCHED the clip. I can believe she started to say "you" and switched it to "people" as New York Magazine suggested. Her body language and demeanor was not one of an agitated person. She was warm and not defensive at all.

Alright those who do think she said it and found it offensive, why is it okay for Obama to use those words?

I am sick and tired of seeing Pelosi and Obama shaking their finger at the crowd. That is offensive. Just the act of having someone shake their finger is only one step away from shaking their fist.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

This clip sounded altered and edited but they did a terrible job. She clearly said "You" when you listen to the slowed down version. Defending this type of elitist BS doesn't reflect well on the conservative mindset.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
It sounds like she says you people to me. I dont get the the issue here though. Do you people have to be so sensitive all the time?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Separate (but legitimate) issue. BTW ... Only POTUS' from Carter onward have released info.
And none of them released 10 years of tax information.

Obama has released 11 years of his tax returns. Biden has released 13 years.

Tax History Project - Presidential Tax Returns

The whole "you people" was just a joke. People were making fun of her for saying it. Anytime someone says "you people" someone will give them that dead-eye stare and say "what do you mean, you people" - like they're offended. It is a crass thing to say, but I doubt anyone takes it that serious.

What is serious is the fact Romney won't release even one year of a complete tax return. His only release has been his 2010 return but it wasn't complete. He obviously has something to hide.

Yet the crybabies in the reich-wing will scream about how Obama should release his student transcripts, as if that has any relevance on things. They scream he should release his BC, in spite of the fact he has done so (twice).

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
SO let's get this straight after 3 and half years of talking about the rich and the republicans like they were dogs leftist make an issue out of you people as a "derrogatory" comment or "condscending".

Republicans have fever in the head
Republicans the flat earthers.
Rich are evil nazis.

Obama and the left never listen to themselves eh?
edit on 20-7-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Where did you get that from?
How is "The left" even involved?
All I see is the righties tripping over themselves to defend and obscure this thing away.
No one on the left seemed to give a crap from where I am standing.
If you have anything to show me the demonstrates otherwise, please do.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I've only been called "you people" by conservatives and I don't like it.
And your hyperbole is so lame and trite.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Do not care every day for the last 3 years the left calls anyone who disagrees with them a "racist" or a bigot or a xenophobe.

The left do not know what an insult is they can say whatever the hell that want to and turn around and cry about "you people".

What nonsense.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by habitforming
All I see is the righties tripping over themselves to defend and obscure this thing away.

Then you need a pair of glasses because your eyesight sucks.

No one on the left seemed to give a crap from where I am standing.

:shk:
This poster started a whole thread on it .. when the poster thought it was Ann Romney saying 'you people'. And then this poster got all full of rhetoric about peasants and such ...
and then this one couldn't stand the fact that I posted 'you people' is no big deal ... and then this one made the comments about commoners
and then here BH says that Ann Romney saying it should be used in an ad ... and here we have a poster calling Ann Romney an Elitist B**** because she said 'you people'. ... and here we have someone who just won't let go and admit that Ann Romney didn't say 'you people', even though the source says she didn't, and so on and so on and so on ...

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
I've only been called "you people" by conservatives and I don't like it.

'You people' 'Ya'll' 'You Guys'
It all means the same thing. Different people using different phrases.
ALL DIFFERENT KINDS of people use them. Not just one demographic.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
When I first saw that clip the other day, I couldn't figure out what she said there. It sounds to me like she almost says "you" then stops herself (but not completely). Either way, it was pretty clear she was talking about all the people hounding them about his tax returns, and that no sane person could think there was any racism involved.

Maybe she stopped herself from saying "you" because she knew it would inevitably be turned into some moronic racist firestorm.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I enjoy watching you people eat crow.

Did you do that on purpose?

Anyway, I don't care what she said. If she said "you people", she probably meant the media. It sounds to me like she said "you people", but I don't hold it against her any more than I do against you.

I do think it's a bit of a "gaffe" and it's only natural that the opposition is going to soak it up for all it's worth, just as the Romney camp is doing with things Obama and his wife have said. It's politics, people! It's the stupid, unimportant, ugly underbelly of campaign politics. Dontcha just love it?

I think you are totally right she means the media she is clearly becoming angry, she is basically saying YOU PEOPLE will twist it all if we give it and we have given YOU People all we need to.

True all info given the media is used as a weapon against the open giver.

I don't understand why she feels giving 10% of their income basically required of Mormons is generosity and as a religious thing should not even be mentioned.

When a friend and I traveled to Utah years ago we were surprised that we could not have a glass of wine in the restaurant with dinner unless we bought it from a STATE store and then they could not pour it for us.

Mormon church controls the state very tightly and if they have someone in the White House they will certainly use that of a Mormon who is religious enough to give a tenth of all income to the church. They are very powerful already and certainly interested in government and changing law, not separatist like Jehovah Witnesses.
edit on 20-7-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join