It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian rebels seize Iraqi border checkpoints - reports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
www.rt.com...

Syrian rebels have allegedly captured one of the country's four major border posts with Iraq, killing at least 21 government troops in the process. Meanwhile, other reports suggest all border crossings with Iraq have been commandeered

­Rebels launched a major assault on a Syrian army outpost in the remote Sinjar mountain range near the Iraqi border, said Iraqi Army Brig. Gen. Qassim al-Dulaimi, as cited by AP. They have killed at least 20 soldiers and their commander and seized control of the outpost, he said.

Earlier on Thursday, about a half-dozen rebels reportedly stormed another Syrian border crossing near the Iraqi town of Qaim, forcing the border guards to leave their posts.

There were also unconfirmed reports that rebels had seized control of a post on the border with Turkey.

I saw RT post this link on facebook. It is pretty hard for me to keep up with the civil war in Syria, but it seems to me that the rebels are gaining ground pretty fast. Not too long ago a defence minister was killed in a suicide bombing, plus shootouts in Damascus.

Along with the link above, the RT facebook post had this along with their post........

" After the Free Syrian Army took control of the post near Iraqi border, they detained a Syrian army lieutenant colonel, cut off his arms and then 'executed 22 Syrian soldiers in front of the eyes of Iraqi soldiers".

Im not going to "ex-text" that because it wasnt inside of the article, but it was RT's comment on the links post.

ETA - Screenshot of RT's facebook post

edit on 20-7-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Securing lines for an invasion anyone?

Rebels know where their help is coming from and it's through Iraq...

Which means there are boots on the ground advising them.

They wouldn't be making this move unless land invasion was imminent.
edit on 20-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
"After the Free Syrian Army took control of the post near Iraqi border, they detained a Syrian army lieutenant colonel, cut off his arms and then 'executed 22 Syrian soldiers in front of the eyes of Iraqi soldiers".

Why didn't they just kill the Syrian officer instead of cutting his arms off?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I posted this same thread yesterday. It looks like things have escalated there and these rebels are not taking any prisoners or worrying about rules of engagement. They are ruthless bastards just like the CIA wanted.

new topics

top topics

join