It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun battle in N. Korea leaves about 20 soldiers dead: report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Gun battle in N. Korea leaves about 20 soldiers dead: report

english.kyodonews.jp

The South Korean government is looking into unconfirmed intelligence reports that a gun battle broke out when the North Korean regime removed army chief Ri Yong Ho from office, leaving 20-30 soldiers dead, the Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported Friday.

The newspaper said some intelligence analysts believe that Ri, who has not been seen since his abrupt sacking earlier this week, was injured or killed in the confrontation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
english.chosun.com
finance.yahoo.com

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Could this be a start of a rebellion? Or possibly something like, well if you end up fired in a dictatorship such as North Korea, you might as well consider that firing to be fatal and open fire anyways to try and save yourself? Interesting that Ri Yong-ho's guards also fought to save him, assuming he was killed and assuming any of this is real in the first place.

english.kyodonews.jp
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonFire1024

Hard to say, if this DID happen.

NK is so secretive, we may never know.

S&F

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Hard to say, if this DID happen.

NK is so secretive, we may never know.

S&F

Very true. I might agree with you there.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Insuring those last minute preparations for general rainy day supplies might be something of a decent idea. It would almost seem like a perfect storm is breaking right over our heads.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Sooner or later something was going to pop off there. The MSM been pretty silent about N. Korea lately. I am interested in seeing whats happening with this. It's hard to get news about whats going on there.

-SAP-
edit on 19-7-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
And now NK?

Doesn't any Country take a holiday from killing anymore?

Sundays are out but maybe just like a Tuesday or something?

Hard to say what happened here but I'll get my wife (Korean) to look further and call home for some news.

Peace

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
Sooner or later something was going to pop off there. The MSM been pretty silent about N. Korea lately. I am interested in seeing whats happening with this, it's hard to get news about whats going on there.

-SAP-

And most unfortunate they don't have the ability to use the internet. If only they had a way to get video and orther information out of there, from over the web.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I have looked and looked for something more on this. This is very interesting indeed! I have gotta say, I did see this happening. For what ever reason this has happened (For the good or detriment) of the country we will have to wait. I just hope (For the people of NK) that the correct choice is made.............time for NK to see the real world. A sad state of affairs.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
Sooner or later something was going to pop off there. The MSM been pretty silent about N. Korea lately. I am interested in seeing whats happening with this, it's hard to get news about whats going on there.

-SAP-

And most unfortunate they don't have the ability to use the internet. If only they had a way to get video and orther information out of there, from over the web.

Yeah, a video would at least confirm or deny if something actually happened here or it's just a bogus story. Interesting none the less.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
At least it is was not South Korean soldiers firing on North Korean soldiers. Phew! With that said, who knows why it happened, but whomever is the responsible will surely face the firing squad. To add insult to injury since we are talking about North Korea, I would not be surprised if those whom are responsible are punished along with their families. Not a very nice place at all.

I have read speculative reports stating that Kim Jong Un could be overthrown in a coup at anytime, and the military leadership would instigate it? Maybe this is the beginning of it? I am fairly certain, China and South Korea would not be too thrilled about it. On another note, people have speculated that even a mild hint at political instability or internal crisis could lead to a humanitarian crisis of epic proportions. Something like millions upon millions could flood the borders of both South Korea and China. With all that in mind, I am surprised this bit of news got out of there at all. Great find OP!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Another take on this might be the possibility that Ri did not agree with some decision or planning that the newest 'Dear leader' has decided to implement.

I must go to googling this Ri character to see if he was viewed as a hawk or not.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Here's a snippet from another news site I found.

N.Korean Army Chief 'Refused to Go Quietly'

A gunbattle broke out when the North Korean regime removed army chief Ri Yong-ho from office, leaving 20 to 30 soldiers dead, according to unconfirmed intelligence reports. Some intelligence analysts believe Ri, who has not been seen since his abrupt sacking earlier this week, was injured or killed in the confrontation.

According to government officials here, the gunbattle erupted when Vice Marshal Choe Ryong-hae, the director of the People's Army General Political Bureau, tried to detain Ri in the process of carrying out leader Kim Jong-un's order to sack him. Guards protecting Ri, who is a vice marshal, apparently opened fire. "We cannot rule out the possibility that Ri was injured or even killed in the firefight," said one source.

Choe is believed to be the right-hand man of Jang Song-taek, the uncle and patron of the young North Korean leader. He made his career in the Workers Party rather than the army. After being appointed director of the bureau, Choe repeatedly clashed with Ri, who came up as a field commander, prompting Choe to keep Ri under close watch and apparently triggering an internal probe targeting the army chief.

Source

EDIT: I see you posted that as another link in the OP. I didn't catch it until after I posted this. But I will leave it up anyhow.

-SAP-
edit on 19-7-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

So far it seems all the other sources are reporting what that newspaper said. Haven't seen anything on Yonhap yet either.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Nope, even we Canadians have times where it seems like we just have to get our collective killing fix. We may be more hush hush about it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024
reply to post by SloAnPainful

So far it seems all the other sources are reporting what that newspaper said. Haven't seen anything on Yonhap yet either.

Yeah me either. I have been looking for different sources but have not found anything yet.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
its not the beginning of a coup, its the end of someone's career. some guy lost his job. no big deal.

its amazing that people don't think the US military can't defeat the North Koreans but think a handful of troops within their million man army can.
edit on 19-7-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
so this very important person who was fired for no reason goes nuts and starts shooting his guards protect him
which would lead a division in the army which would overthrow the new leader
its a totally possible thing, the only difference is that this is N.Korea we're talking about and from what ive seen about this particular country is that the people there are brainwashed from childhood to love and do anything their leader tells them
theyre forced to compliment the leader whenever they speak about him !
the men cant even let their hair get too long and anything weird happens and youre either dead or sent to a death camp
with so much control i dont see how people could organize and try their hands on something
i dont know maybe someone can clear it up for me

i can only imagine two sides of the military fighting but i dont know

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Possible assassination attempt?

Just putting out there.

Possible assassination? Who knows.
edit on 19-7-2012 by CaptainBeno because: Forgot a bit.....in too much a rush!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Well ABC News in Australia is now going with the report too.

Also this:

Officials have also said they've gathered intelligence that the clash occurred when Choe Ryong-hae, the North Korean military's director in charge of political management, tried to physically remove Ri from his duties.

It is thought that Choe,.. who is with the ruling Workers' Party, has often come into conflict with Ri, who had been a key military figure and close aide to former North Korean leader Kim Jong-il.

edit on 19-7-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join