It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light And Darkness: Cosmic Equation of Balance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I would like to do a little write up on one aspect of what I believe the ancients were referring to when they spoke of 'light' and 'darkness' in the ancient religious teachings. I would like to update these terms, utilizing modern scientific understanding. I am not here claiming this to be the ENTIRETY of the meaning of these terms, but at least one significant aspect of its meaning.

The laws of thermodynamics speak of entropy. Entropy basically means the tendency of systems to increase in disorder and meaninglessness over time. This is the conclusion of the naturalistic and material approach modern science takes. This is why when you look at the predictions science makes about the future, it is very gloomy. Basically, the sun and other stars will die out, and all life will die due to a lack of heat. Life here is a momentary accident, taking up a small bit of time in the overall direction of the universe, which is disintegration. This concept of entropy, I propose, is one aspect of the meaning of 'darkness,' as spoken of in the religions.

Now if you look at the history of life on Earth, you find quite the opposite to be true. The entire history of the evolution of life on Earth has been defined by increasing order and complexity. This has been referred to as negentropy, or negative entropy. Life, then, as well as consciousness, is sort of in direct opposition to the basic worldview of modern western science. This is why science tends to present life as inconsequential, a meaningless blip in the timeline of the universe.

I propose that these two principles, that of the natural world and that of life, entropy and negentropy, are actually two parts of a cosmic equation of balance. The purpose of life is to balance this cosmic equation, to offset this principle of entropy. This principle, the principle that defines life, is what has been referred to as 'the light.' The non-living world shuffles the cards into meaninglessness. Life is designed to stack the deck, to increase in both order and complexity, to create conditions that are more and more preferable, so that the universe can experience them.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

You are very informed, my friend. In my philosophy, there is a life force that defies entropy and it originates from quantum forces. Traditional science goes out of its way to ignore this, because it begins to get into spirituality and free will, things that psychology has invested a lot of time in denying.

I should add that one danger of science without spirituality is that it can trick people into believing the life force does not exist, and thus cause a lot of sick atrocities and supply shortages to occur.

The danger of spirituality without science is that the world is not properly understood, and this can also result in delusional thinking and atrocities.

That is why it is imperative to merge the two.
edit on 19-7-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

How does gravity fit into your hypothesis?

Doesn't the presence of gravity prove that there could be a balance of entropy/negentropy without life?

Which just poses questions about trees falling in forests and the validity of the forest's existence based upon the presence of witness! Note, This fable is most likely the result of the mental propositions conjured by an unlucky woodchopper who had been pinned under the tree he had just felled, in a forest who's only human inhabitant is himself.

In jest

OA

edit on 19/7/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
WOW so thats what an apiffinny feels like
A moment of realisation is worth a thousand prayers snf 4 u.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Great post. You put into words what I've been thinking for a long time. I think about this a lot. I think that the physical properties of the universe have the universe eroding away, but life exists to ensure its survival. Just as we work for our own survival- and get better at it. Pretty soon, I predict that its not the survival of individuals we will be worried about, but the survival of the planet, and one day maybe even the universe. You can see us heading towards this goal with the invention of new technologies such as hybrid vehicles and geo engineering.

I also believe that as our abilities to ensure the survival of greater systems increase, so too does our quality of life. In other words, if we ever become involved with the survival of the universe, we will have reached God status. I believe wonders lie ahead.

new topics

join