It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dubai police chief: US navy ship did not warn Indian fishermen

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I guess it all depends on who you are willing to believe.

Personally- i dont think the Navy would have been worried about a small fishing boat unless there was an immediate danger posed to them.

Not everything is a conspiracy- and tell me this.... HOW IN THE HELL WOULD THE POLICE CHEIF KNOW?

He wasnt there. Its all hear-say on his part.

That said- I will take the Navys word over someone that wasnt even there.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Say what you want, but if the ship was within range to take several hits from .50 MG fire, that was too close to be to a US navy ship in dangerous waters. Warnings given or not, the commander of that other boat was absolutely stupid to put his boat and the lives of everyone on it at risk. He learned his lesson a little late.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Here is a photo of the boat that was fired on...

It would seem this is not an incident isolated to the USN.

The episode, with conflicting versions from both sides, reminds the incident occurred 30 miles off the southern Indian coast on Feb. 15, 2012, when two Italian Navy riflemen belonging to the San Marco Battalion, fired three sets of warning shots for deterrence against a boat, allegedly killing two Indian fishermen.

The incident sparked a diplomatic crisis between Italy and India, and the two military, on board the merchant ship Enrica Lexie as Military Security Team, are still under custody in India.
U.S. Navy releases image of the small motor vessel fired upon by USNS Rappahannock off the United Arab Emirates

Two Italian Navy riflemen belonging to the San Marco Battalion, are currently under custody in India pending the investigation about the alleged killing of two Indian fishermen 30 miles off the southern Indian coast on Feb. 15.

The two military were on board the merchant ship Enrica Lexie as Military Security Team on Italian ships in areas under threat of pirates. Although the episode is still under investigation, the Italian Navy explained in an official statement that at about 12.30PM Italian Time, the merchant ship was approached by a suspect vessel with armed sailors that did not respond to warning signs.

In compliance with the stardand procedures, the security team on board the Enrica Lexie fired three sets of warning shots for deterrence whose effect was to discourage the pirates. The alleged pirate boat departed from the Italian merchant ship without signs “of obvious onboard damages.”

However, two fishermen died and Indian authorities denied that any of the crew members of the “suspect” vessel was armed.
Alleged killing of two Indian fishermen in anti-piracy operation sparks diplomatic crisis between India and Italy

edit on 19-7-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Posting a US link does not show that it is common knowledge - there is more to the world than the US, and more to the world than the internet.

If you were operating a small vessel in the Dubai Port of Jebel Ali, would you approach a Naval vessel of any nationality unannounced?

Irrelevant.

You said that he guidelines were well known - I am pointing out that your evidence as presented does not support that contention.

Moreover the bit you highlighted shows that communicating whatever there is in place is not always successful - you are debunking your own contention!

Now fishing industry insiders have called for clear guidelines on using the waters.

Jameel Abedin, Managing Director of Dubai-based Go Fishing Tours, said: “While there are guidelines in place in line with coastguard regulations, there has to be better communication regarding any new safety rules. This is especially important for private boat owners who may venture out to sea without updated guidelines.”

edit on 19-7-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gixxer
OP your anti U.S rhetoric is well known on these forums so i won't comment on your bias, but i can guarantee that they were warned, if you knew anything about military procedure you would know there is no possible way a us navy commander fired on a ship without warning.

use a little comon sence before you decide to make yet another thread bashing the U.S military.

Mayhap this has been brought up prior, though,

One shall fail to 'Guarantee' something with failure of Proof, or, you must have been at the scene correct?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I believe the Dubai police chief is an idiot. It is VERY easy to warn an incoming vessel to stay away. Either by radio , lights , or warning shots.

It is not like it would have caused any problem or annoyance what so ever to warn that vessel. They have stations manned and on guard on to a high degree when they are near docks. Just for this situation.

Weapons are already on stand by , radio operator is already on notice , signals are ready.

The entire ship failed to follow protocol if this is how it really happened and also failed to follow day to day operations.

A freight just does not not follow protocol / procedure unless it is destroyed or sinking .... even then ... there is a protocol and procedure.

--

This Dubai chief just stated the US Naval vessel had an entire break down of command , from the Captain , to the LTs , to the Patties. Which is impossible.
edit on 19-7-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Aloysius, you could be correct and I may be mistaken.

Perhaps the person operating the vessel was totally ignorant of the fact that U.S. Navy force protection procedures mandate that the vessels security team respond with lethal force if other measures are unsuccessful.

I think it is terrible that Mr. Sekar was killed and the other men wounded however it is clear that there were local harbour regulations aside from U.S. Naval doctrine that were ignored by the operator of the small vessel.

Had they have stayed clear this would not have happened.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Besides the SOS anti-US agenda on this thread, its interesting to notice that one report indicated the first warning was issued when the 50 foot boat was 1200 yards away from USN ship. The boat was 70 to 100 yards from starboard side in about a minute (suggesting travel speeds of about 20+ knots) before the fire was opened with 50 calibre. That is a high speed boat approaching the USN? Why was it even trying to cut ahead of a 42 thousand tonne ship with a 90 foot 15 tonne (approximate) ? The M2 browning can target at 1800 metres away. The attack happened at 70 yards.

Would love to see the pics of the boat itself to assess the power of a 50 calibre. 5 minutes of continuous shooting of a 50 calibre? Hmmmm....With the amount of firing and bullets of that calibre at a close range, I'm surprised that any of them were alive (including the boat captains/drivers who were not indian but middle easterns were completely unharmed). Still too early to speculate as per exactly what transpired. Surely the USN did fire at the boat that is not being disputed here. There have been numerous different numbers on the size of the boat itself was 9 metres that crossed the USN where it was shot after it had crossed the USN ship. Too many different stories from eye witnesses, authorities in UAE and the victims themselves. Is the Indian Government investigating the incident besides the US and UAE? Why waste a good 'crisis' opportunity is the motto of several nations not just limited to few political parties

Mutthu Kannan

Mutthu Krishnan

Link1
Link
edit on 20-7-2012 by hp1229 because: add image

edit on 20-7-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-7-2012 by hp1229 because: edit content

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
Is the Indian Government investigating the incident besides the US and UAE?

No I dont think India is investigating this, as per the media reports Indian govt. have requested Dubai officials to investigate this as it happened in/ near their territory and the Indian chap was working in Dubai.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
i dont care who you are if you in a fishing boat or a speed boat you DO NOT APPROACH ANY COUNTRIES NAVY SHIPS IF THEY PERCEIVE YOU AS A THREAT THEY WILL SINK YOU END OF STORY. if this was a russian or german warship involved it wouldnt even made it too the news. it is sad that these people lost there lives but they should have known better. every us sailor remembers the cole and any fast moving civilian boat approaching is likely going to get aassumed to be threat/.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join