It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do all the major religions, worship the same God?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Dont cpnfuse the creator with the creation . . .

That is why we need God, He is good at doing that sort of thing (separating the two)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

And the way for that is to have a relationship with Jesus Christ. If you reject the Son you reject the Father.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
no because if they did there books should be the same. And or the ideas and basic premes in them. Some say they do but those are generally people who haven't actually studied them. They clearly depict all kinds of different ideas, rituals, gods, demons, angels spirits, etc etc.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Depends which religion you're talking about.

Many strains of Hinduism accept gods of other religions as "avatars" of god and so on. If you go back to Roman times, they made a point to find the equivalent of their gods in all the other religions (Jupiter=Zeus=Amon, etc).

Islam holds the opinion that all worship was originally to God, where each community and people had a prophet from among their own people who preached God to them probably in a form specific to them, but then people fell away and started adding stuff to the religion, and mixing stuff up and adding new deities.
It is an interesting theory in that most of the religions, even the ones with huge pantheons usually had a "Sky God" figure (not the necessarily literal God of the sky, but it could be) that created the other gods, or had the other gods draw forth from the "Sky God".

I find it a bit funny when monotheistic religions deny completely the idea of a single origin form of worship to one deity. It is like they're denying their very monotheism, and acknowledging more than one deity.

If you believe there is only one God, then if someone else from another country with another language is worshipping one God, which other God could they be worshiping except the One God?

PS: Whether buddhists worship something or not depends entirely on which strain of Buddhism is being followed.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

That is why we need God, He is good at doing that sort of thing (separating the two)

What you two have said is very telling.

"Don't confuse the creator with the creation" is a denial of oneness.

"[God] is good at [seperating creator and creation]." along with the previous statement shows clearly that you worship an entity whose purpose is to maintain the perception of duality.

[edit]
I do not confuse the creator with the creation. I understand that they are one. Separating them is detrimental to spiritual growth.
edit on 28/7/2012 by Glass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glass

Originally posted by jmdewey60

What you two have said is very telling.

"Don't confuse the creator with the creation" is a denial of oneness.

"[God] is good at [seperating creator and creation]." along with the previous statement shows clearly that you worship an entity whose purpose is to maintain the perception of duality.

[edit]
I do not confuse the creator with the creation. I understand that they are one. Separating them is detrimental to spiritual growth.
edit on 28/7/2012 by Glass because: (no reason given)

The creation and the creator are one, non dual. However one must see that the creation is what is seen and the creator cannot be seen.
If you do not look to find the seer of creation you will not know peace. If you confuse yourself with creation you will only know sound and fury. To be lost in the world (creation) you will feel lost, confused and afraid. To find yourself as the seer (the witness) is bliss.

The dream is not separate from the dreamer. The dream is the scene and the dreamer is the knower of the dream. The dreamer will never be seen but the dream cannot appear without the dreamer.
edit on 29-7-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Heliophant

The idea autowrench is touting is that Lucifer ("the light bringer" or "the morning star") - NOT Satan - is another descriptor for Jesus. This makes much more sense as the Bible is replete with verses that call Jesus just that - "the morning star" and the "light bringer".

Thank you, Heliophant, you have an understanding, which many do not. In doing the research, I asked myself, what is the origin of the word "Lucifer," and where did it come from? here did the word Lucifer come from? Is it in the Hebrew manuscripts? Where the King James says Lucifer, son of the morning, the Hebrew is "heilel ben shakhar." Heilel is a shining thing or something that shows off brightness. Notice that there is nothing like the word Lucifer in the Hebrew. In the Greek translation known as the Septuagint, "Heilel" is rendered "Eosphorus." So even in the Greek, there’s nothing like the word.

The morning star rising in the hearts of Yahweh’s people is a direct reference to (Numbers 24:17) and describes the coming of Christ. The Greek word for morning star in (2 Peter 1:19) is eosphoros. If you recall, this is the same word used by the writers of the Septuagint to translate heilel in (Isaiah 14:12) and is the name of the planet Venus in Greek. If Lucifer is a correct rendering in (Isaiah 14:12,) then it is correct in (2 Peter 1:19) also. And so we have the first place where scripture calls Yeshua Lucifer. But that is not the only place.

"And to the one who conquers and who continues in my deeds until the end…I will give him the morning star."
(Revelation 2:26a, 28b)

"I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star!"
(Revelation 22:16)

Elaine Pagels expounded on how 'Satan' didn't always refer to an evil being, but was initially used to represent an obstacle. After that meaning, it evolved into a meaning which was used to unify your group/cult/congregation against your enemies....or "Satan."
"Get thee hence behind me, Satan!"
It wasn't until New Testament times and later that the concept of an evil being who is actually called 'Satan' or the 'Devil' or 'Lucifer' evolved to what it is today.

The Jews still don't, nor did they ever, believe in or create the Satan/Devil being/creature/character of Christian lore.

source

Satan as a Being, and Author of Evil exists only in the lore and myths of the Christians, and it was not placed there by them, but by Church leadership.

Hebrew Bible

The original Hebrew term, satan, is a noun from a verb meaning primarily to, “obstruct, oppose,” as it is found in Numbers 22:22, 1 Samuel 29:4, Psalms 109:6.[4] Ha-Satan is traditionally translated as “the accuser,” or “the adversary.” The definite article “ha-”, English “the”, is used to show that this is a title bestowed on a being, versus the name of a being. Thus this being would be referred to as “the satan”.
Wiki Source

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by jmdewey60

And the way for that is to have a relationship with Jesus Christ. If you reject the Son you reject the Father.

Actually, if you worship the Teacher, you draw worship from the Father, and from the Mother, and the Teacher becomes then an Idol.
I believe Idol worship is forbidden in your book, isn't it? Even your main symbol, the Cross, is an Ancient Pagan Symbol associated with Nimrod and Baal.

The story of the cross as a religious symbol begins in ancient Babylon. Upon Nimrod's death, his wife Semiramis exalted her infant son, Tammuz, as Nimrod re-born. God-king worship became quickly entrenched among the ancient Babylonians…and the Tau symbol – the first character of Tammuz' name became a key symbol in Babylonian worship.

It is historically indisputable that the Tau was an integral part of pagan religious worship in pre-Christian culture. The cross was sewn into pagan priests' costumes, worn by vestal virgins, and adorned pagan temples. (See, Alexander Hislop's: The Two Babylons and The Catholic Encyclopedia, "The Cross and Crucifix," page 517, 1913 edition). The Tau took various forms such as Τ and ϯ and would sometimes incorporate a circle representing the sun – an integral part of the Babylonian Mystery Religion.

After death, Nimrod was worshipped under various names including Marduk, Bel, Baal and Beelzebub. Baal-worship, a continuation of Babylonian religion, was what God rebuked ancient Israel for when they "did evil in the sight of the LORD. They forgot the LORD their God, and served the Baals and Asherahs" (Judges 3:7). It was in service to this pagan deity that ancient Israel sacrificed their infant children as burning sacrifices (Jeremiah 32:35). Baal worship was a terrible abomination in God's sight.
source

The Pagan Origins of the Cross

Deuteronomy 21:23 stated that a person hung on a tree was be cursed by God. This verse was a major stumbling block that prevented many Jews from accepting Jesus as the Messiah.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Even your main symbol, the Cross, is an Ancient Pagan Symbol associated with Nimrod and Baal.

Considering the Roman Crucifix was not even around in ancient Egyptian times your argument falls flat on its face.

We do not worship the cross but its a symbol and reminder for what God has done for us.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

It seems to be a very logical conclusion. If there is one god then he would likley be interpreted differently in each region of the world where he would appear. God would also likely have to adjust how he chooses to appear to each person based upon that persons particular life experiences and preexisting beliefs.

I would imagine first contact would not have gone so well if the Christian version of God appeared to someone living in China in 5000 BC. I would assume this all knowing being would have known that and would pick the best way to appear...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

The books are pretty much the same. As well as the foundations and theories. It is just the details that are different. and of course these books may have a divine begining but throughout time they have been rewritten by human after human and interpretations differ and change as well as languages.

Take any book written originally in any old language.. Such as "Church Slavic" have someone translate it into modern russian then have someone translate that version into French. Translate the french version into english and you will have some similarities and some very distinguishable differences.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Jhill76,

Here it is. All the major religions worship the same God. Muslims worship the God of Abraham, Noah, Moses, Jesus and all the Prophets who came before the Prophet Muhammad.

Islam is the largest and fastest growing religion in the world, Praise be to Allah! There are now 2.1 Billion Muslims around the world, with the population of Christians ( Catholic, Protestants etc) at 1.98 Billion and Jewish population at 1.37 Billion. Out of the 2.1 Billion only 15 percent are Arabs and the rest are from Asia, Africa,Europe and America, which is not only due to high birth rate among Muslim families but mostly due to high rates of conversion from other religion such as Christianity and Judaism. If the Muslims were a moon-worshipping cult, do you think, Christians and Jews would be converting at a steady rate to our religion?, that would have been like going out from the darkness to more darkness, but as it is they have gone out of darkness into the light as decreed by God.

2:257 Allah is the Protecting Friend of those who believe. He bringeth them out of darkness into light. As for those who disbelieve, their patrons are false deities. They bring them out of light into darkness. Such are rightful owners of the Fire. They will abide therein.

7:157 Those who follow the messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write, whom they will find described in the Torah and the Gospel (which are) with them. He will enjoin on them that which is right and forbid them that which is wrong. He will make lawful for them all good things and prohibit for them only the foul; and he will relieve them of their burden and the fetters that they used to wear. Then those who believe in him, and honor him and help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him: they are the successful.

5:16 Whereby Allah guideth him who seeketh His good pleasure unto paths of peace. He bringeth them out of darkness unto light by His decree, and guideth them unto a straight path.

There is ONLY ONE GOD, that is the true religion.

2:163 Your God is one God; there is no God save Him, the Beneficent, the Merciful. -

2:133 Or were ye present when death came to Jacob, when he said unto his sons: What will ye worship after me? They said: We shall worship thy God, the God of thy fathers, Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac, one God, and unto Him we have surrendered.

Only schismatics will deny that the God of the Muslims is not the same God.

16:22 Your God is one God. But as for those who believe not in the Hereafter their hearts refuse to know, for they are proud.

Jesus is NOT GOD. There is no TRINITY, because God is only ONE.

16:51 Allah hath said: Choose not two Gods. There is only one God. So of Me, Me only, be in awe.

Jesus did not claim to be God, but he claimed to be sent by God.

21:29 And one of them who should say: Lo! I am a God beside Him, that one We should repay with hell. Thus We repay wrong-doers.

18:110 Say: I am only a mortal like you. My Lord inspireth in me that your God is only one God. And whoever hopeth for the meeting with his Lord, let him do righteous work, and make none sharer of the worship due unto his Lord.

Peace!

edit on 4-8-2012 by queenofangels_17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofangels_17

Islam is the largest and fastest growing religion in the world, Praise be to Allah! There are now2.1 Billion Muslims around the world, with the population of Christians ( Catholic, Protestants etc) at1.98 Billion and Jewish population at 13.5 Million. Out of the 2.1 Billion only 15 percent are Arabs and the rest are from Asia, Africa,Europe and America, which is not only due to high birth rate among Muslim families but mostly due to high rates of conversion from other religion such as Christianity and Judaism. If the Muslims were a moon-worshipping cult, do you think, Christians and Jews would be converting at a steady rate to our religion?, that would have been like going out from the darkness to more darkness, but as it is they have gone out of darkness into the light as decreed by God.

- - - made mistake with Jewish population which I wrote as 1.3 Billion which actually was 13. 5 Million, as of 2012.

Peace!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
Do all the major religions, worship the same God, but differ on the details?

I come to this question, by observance of what others post on here. It seems that all teach the basics: Treat others as self, love neighbors, and general concern for others well being.

*I'm not speaking on salvation, or going to hell, or anything of that nature. I'm specifically asking, do all the major religions recognize the same God.

Example:
If we have Paul describing God in his own way, and Muhammad describing God in his own way, aren't we just following what a man says about God? Isn't this how the religions were formed?
edit on 19-7-2012 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

No, they do not. Not all of the major religions worship any deity at all. Others follow many "gods". At least one doesn't address the issue at all. That alone shows that they do not, and cannot possibly, worship the same God.

Then you have the very many clear differences in said worship, even among those that follow a single deity. there are serious contradictions among the various religions, making it utterly illogical to assume they talk of the same deity.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
there are serious contradictions among the various religions, making it utterly illogical to assume they talk of the same deity.

Would it be logical to assume they try to speak of the same God? The most prominent commonality of all religions is the fact that religions try to answer the existential questions.
edit on 2-1-2013 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

YES! All major religions are describing the same 'source'.

Culture, mans interpretation, reinterpretation upon reinterpretation...has molded a notion of source to fit the culture or history...

Pasta is clearly not bread...but both are wheat...

The candle-flame lit from the hearth...is the same fire...

Humans have a propensity to complicate the simplest notions...the bifurcation upon bifurcation of source is one of these so beloved complications...

...and the so-split camps will forever damn themselves to an imaginary hell, looked over by imaginary bogey-men...until the little children grow up and take responsibility for thier own actions in the now, which will shatter the mechanism of the mortal coil, and deliver them back to source from whence they came...

A99

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DelayedChristmas

there are serious contradictions among the various religions, making it utterly illogical to assume they talk of the same deity.

Would it be logical to assume they try to speak of the same God? The most prominent commonality of all religions is the fact that religions try to answer the existential questions.

It is certainly possible that some do, in fact, seek the one true God. We are fallible human beings, and make errors.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DelayedChristmas

It is certainly possible that some do, in fact, seek the one true God. We are fallible human beings, and make errors.

Let's not be so hard on ourselves. All religions do in fact worship the same God, however, methinks its indirectly however. God knows the heart. God acknowledges those that acknowledge Him, regardless of religious affiliation or lack thereof.

If we have Paul describing God in his own way, and Muhammad describing God in his own way, aren't we just following what a man says about God? Isn't this how the religions were formed?

Think about this quote because it is holds true. All religions have been built on man's views on God. One's view point of God does not mean that is applicable for all, such as Paul's viewpoints on celibacy expressed in 1 Corinthians 7:1-7. He states that although he wishes that all are celibate, it is not a commandment to do so; each person has an individual purpose and celibacy may not be in said person's path.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

Let's not be so hard on ourselves. All religions do in fact worship the same God, however, methinks its indirectly however. God knows the heart. God acknowledges those that acknowledge Him, regardless of religious affiliation or lack thereof.

Well said. Others here try and speak for Father and say it doesn't work this way. Unless you are up there with him and ask this him directly, it is just an assumption made by what you have been taught.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Im confused about God being "up there". I thought he was right here in and with us at all times, and that we didnt need to go up there to speak with him.

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

Well said. Others here try and speak for Father and say it doesn't work this way. Unless you are up there with him and ask this him directly, it is just an assumption made by what you have been taught.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join