It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amazing Story of Sophie Delezio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is a thread about the incredible will-power and human spirit surrounding the astounding young Australia girl, Sophie Delezio. Whenever I think I've had a crap day, I remember little Sophie and my problems seems insignificant. So, here we go!

This story begins way back in 2003 when a horrific accident occurred at a Sydney day-care centre. Sophie was taking a nap along with other kids, when all of a sudden a car came crashing into the building and burst into flames. Although others were injuring, it was Sophie who copped it worse.

She was trapped under the burning car and suffered burns to 85% of her body and lost both her feet, some fingers and an ear. But she survived.

Image Courtesy of Here

It wasn't just that she survived, her bravery to watch on TV at the time was just incredible as she dealt with operation after operation of skin grafts. All the medical staff were amazed at how well she dealt with her adversity, and she captured Australia's hearts.

Image from here as Sophie spreads Safety Message

My own kids at Halloween dress up and we take a big bag of lollies with us. When we knock instead of asking for lollies, my kids ask for a donation towards Sophie and if they donate we give them a lolly instead
We do it this way because Halloween is more an American tradition, but this gives it an Aussie stamp to it as Aussies love to help out battlers. We've raised and donated over $500 over the years! Anyway, back to the story!

Second Accident Source and Image

Incredibly tragedy struck poor Sophie again in 2006 when she was being taken across a crossing with her assistance dog and carer when an elderly driver crashed into Sophie.

On 5 May 2006 Sophie made national headlines a second time when she was again badly injured in a road accident. While being pushed across a pedestrian crossing in a wheelchair (by her nanny with her service dog Tara by her side) near her home in Sydney's northern beaches, she was hit by a car and thrown 18 metres. Sophie suffered a heart attack, a broken jaw, a broken shoulder, bruising to her head, numerous rib fractures and a tear to her left lung. She was treated at the Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick.

But this little hero survived. What terrible luck she had, the chances of this happening start to nag at you thinking the universe must either want her dead. Maybe the universe did this for a reason, maybe she was the only kid who could triumph with all this adversity?? The family believe it to be a miracle of Mary McKillop, perhaps it is? Personally though I just think it was incredible bad luck.

Normally, these things are a senseless punishment of the worse kind, but I mentioned her as a hero before, this is because the first accident was considered blameless (as the driver had a seizure) so she was left with huge medical bills which were covered by the drivers 3rd Party insurance. Had it not been so public, I doubt insurance would have covered her costs and in light of that Sophie (with help) was able to create the Day of Difference foundation which helps cover costs of kids who suffer from tragic blameless accidents.
Day of Difference

She could have sat and sulked, but she made a difference in this world, what a champ! But, not to rest on her laurels, she has been an Ambassador for World Youth Day, and received numerous citizen awards.
Now, she has set her sights on competing as a swimmer in the Paralympics!

So, when you think you've had a tough day, think of Sophie.

Image courtesy of The My Hero Project other information taken from this Wiki on Sophie Delezio

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Man, I hate posting at the wrong time of day! I hope at least this thread finds somebody and gives them a brighter day!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Heartwarming story.That is one lucky child.Thank you for sharing this.Sorry,not much else to add.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
Man, I hate posting at the wrong time of day! I hope at least this thread finds somebody and gives them a brighter day!

It did, thanks! What an amazing story!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I know, there is not much to say!! It's just the human spirit to endure

Glad you both liked it!

I just search on ATS and found it hard to believe she had not been posted about on here yet.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Thank you for posting this. Damn, tried not to cry but...it is people like Sophie who make us remember life isn't about everything negative. We all can learn something about hope and perseverance from the smallest ones in this life. Thank you.

CJ

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
That poor sweet child. No one should have to endure so much suffering.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Your right, no one should have to, but I can't help but feel she was chosen to go through this (skin grafts every year as she grows as well) only because she had the strength to endure it. Which is odd for me, as I'm in no way religious... Just something about her has made my life all the more better thinking of her endurance and tenacity to just get on with things.

There was actually a (Australian Channel 7) TV production about her called "True Stories", but I was unable to find it online. If anyone finds it please add it in!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Still no luck in finding the video, but I was saddened to learn about Sophies sister. Sophies older sister it seems suffered sexual abuse from a neighbour and a troubled relationship with her father (who has won a father of the year award...). She ended up a street kid, and has been abandoned by her father. Sexual abuse has ruined her life and she ended up dealing drugs with her ex-police partner.
Terribly sad, I hope she is able to make peace again in her world like her younger sister.

What did this family do to suffer so much!??

Source

edit on 20-7-2012 by Qumulys because: added source

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Good thread, Qumulys!

Firstly, this is the kind of story that really makes you feel small and put into perspective all the 'bad' things that could happen to yourself.

Moreover, and it's a delicate point, but maybe precisely to show both her pain and her courage will have positive results on lots of people behaviour and way of thinking.
She physically gave lots of herself and there's no doubt that she's stronger than ever and have, even subconsciously, lot of influence on people that heard and read her story.

In that sense, she's really myhero ("Tells the stories of ordinary people who have accomplished extraordinary things.") far more than all these celebrities.
edit on 20-7-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

She became entwined in the Aussie consciousness so much. On tv almost nightly for months, but she kept on battling.
When news of her second accident came about, the whole nation was stunned.
How unluckily she had been, both elderly drivers, the chances of it were freakish. The outpouring of emotion really did touch all our hearts, 2 million was raised for her charity and she is always in the spotlight doing good.

Definitely my hero!

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I use this for a reality check:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this, now i feel like an idiot every time i complain about something stupid. I feel so sorry for what this little girl has had to endure but the way she has gone through it with such strength and courage is amazing. I doubt i would be able to handle those circumstances the way she has, very inspirational

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Sophie has grown so much in her school uniform picture you posted!
Her entire family is as inspirational as she is.
They define unconditional love.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Thanks for the thread bump zazz! It's been too long since I've thought about Sophie.
That smile is what happens whenever I think about her positive attitude and willpower.
I've actually had a really long day travelling to find a new cushion for my wheelchair. I've been in pain and was pretty fed up by the time I got home, and pop on to catch up with ATS and see this thread again. You've made me realise how pathetic I am for whinging to myself! So, knowing Sophie can do so much more - I'm going to keep on powering through the day with a smile!

edit on 5-6-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Cushion for your wheelchair? feel as cranky as you please, we don't need to be on top of things all the time its healthy to feel crappy for a bit

Thank YOU for reminding me of this little gem Sophie.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Actually, I'm still thanking you zazza! I thought I'd see what she's been up to the last couple of years, and (I'm guessing your from Oz as well) can you believe her accident was 10 years ago now?!
She's got an assistance dog now called Willow with her, and she's started high school! Here's a new video of her (you wont believe how much she's grown!).

new topics

top topics

join