It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids Say The Funniest Things...[LEWC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
When my children were young, they use to play videogames together. When I say together I mean my youngest would sit in my oldest’s lap and they would play the super Nintendo we had in the house.

Now when the youngest wanted to play while my daughter was trying to get something done, and didn’t want him to, he would scream, rip the remote from the console and throw it across the room.

This story begins the day after my daughter returned from 1st grade with a note from her teacher asking me to call as there was an incident on the playground. Being a relatively strict father to begin with, I immediately called the teacher to ask what was going on.

She informed me that my daughter had told another kid during a confrontation to “expletive off”. After a little bit of a scolding she finally told me that another girl was bullying her and she had said everything she could think of, stop, hold it, enough etc.

And that was the one that worked.

Now I didn’t like this one bit so instead of punishing my daughter I decided it was best to take another way. Maybe educate her and see if she could deal with this problem herself in some constructive way.

I explained that those were adult words and she could not use them until she was old enough to understand the meaning behind them and gravity of what you were saying. I asked that she replaced the word with something she liked if she ever felt the need to say it again.

“I like peanut butter” she said. “That’s great honey; you should use that word instead of this one if you ever feel the need to do so.”

We left it at that. A few weeks later I’m in the kitchen doing dishes. All of sudden from their bedroom I hear:

“Max! Peanut Butter [4 letter word] Off”.

Right away, I turn around and get her to come over with a very stern look and I was laughing inside, trying to be mean about it.

“What did we say about that word?” I asked.

“What’s your problem? I said peanut butter first...”

That was the day I knew she would always be a hand full.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Young kids are fantastic

Just today my grandson who's 3 (who'd just seen a farmer standing in a field of cows) said
"Why's that man standing in a cow jungle?"

My daughter when she was about 4 asked me
"Why do rivers have water in them?"

Kids are great, such a shame few parents these days take the time to listen to them.

By the way, it was your own fault, she did as you told her to do

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: I suppose that is what people, especially parents, get, when they encourage things to be covered up.
I recommend you focus on teaching your youngest son and your daughter the following ...

The Golden Rule [wiki]

The Golden Rule or ethic of reciprocity is a maxim, ethical code, or morality that essentially states either of the following:

(Positive form): One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
(Negative/prohibitive form, also called the Silver Rule): One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated.
This concept describes a "reciprocal" or "two-way" relationship between one's self and others that involves both sides equally and in a mutual fashion.

And here is the science of why ...

It's because they both possess Mirror neurons [wiki]

A mirror neuron is a neuron that fires both when an animal acts and when the animal observes the same action performed by another. Thus, the neuron "mirrors" the behaviour of the other, as though the observer were itself acting. Such neurons have been directly observed in primate and other species including birds. In humans, brain activity consistent with that of mirror neurons has been found in the premotor cortex, the supplementary motor area, the primary somatosensory cortex and the inferior parietal cortex.

The function of the mirror system is a subject of much speculation. Many researchers in cognitive neuroscience and cognitive psychology consider that this system provides the physiological mechanism for the perception action coupling (see the common coding theory). They argue that mirror neurons may be important for understanding the actions of other people, and for learning new skills by imitation. Some researchers also speculate that mirror systems may simulate observed actions, and thus contribute to theory of mind skills, while others relate mirror neurons to language abilities. Neuroscientists such as Marco Iacoboni (UCLA) have argued that mirror neuron systems in the human brain help us understand the actions and intentions of other people. In a study published in March 2005 Iacoboni and his colleagues reported that mirror neurons could discern if another person who was picking up a cup of tea planned to drink from it or clear it from the table. In addition, Iacoboni has argued that mirror neurons are the neural basis of the human capacity for emotions such as empathy.

And here is how they can utilize that capacity best ...

Theory of mind [wiki]

Theory of mind is the ability to attribute mental states—beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc.—to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires and intentions that are different from one's own. Deficits occur in people with autism spectrum disorders, schizophrenia, attention deficit disorder, as well as neurotoxicity due to alcohol abuse.

Goodluck with the writing comepetion and goodluck being a parent.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

My daughter is now in her 20's so I dont' really have to worry about it.

That's a story from ages ago and they did just fine, but I thank you for the advice

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Explanation:
... Oops.
My Bad! I read the story as present tense.

Personal Disclosure: But ... I am almost 40yrs old I still learn and am educated by my parents. Legally the responsibility stops when they become adult citizens ... but the heart doesnt know any different.

I am pleased to here they all turned out aok! Congratulaions.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

My son learned to say S ## t while sneezing, he always did figure that he couldn't get in trouble for it if he could blame it on the sneeze.... I always figured he was terribly wrong

S&F great story!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

That's gold.

They try their darndest to get around our adult techincalities hey? And it always stands you feel the need to do the right thing and correct it, but at the same time you want to go hide away where they can't see you and lose it laughing.

S&F, good read

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

That reminds me of a funny thing my daughter said one time while we were eating out.

"Normal" parents feed their children poison.

Its a shame I made a thread about it a while ago, it would make a funny entry for this contest.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

That was a good read

Thanks for that.

And thanks for the opinions guys.

top topics

join