It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I get rid of a beer belly???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I got a real problem.....over the last 2 years I actually have gotten a beer belly.
how do I get rock hard abs and get rid of a beer belly?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
try P90x(90 days) or Insanity

edit on 19-7-2012 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
diet and exercise. at least 5 days a weeks, for months, mabey even years

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Stop drinking and do sit ups?

Seriously though, I am sure you aren't the only one to wonder this. I can't wait to see some of the answers.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

Wow it even removes or lightens unsightly chest hairs!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I used to never gain weight no matter what. Just stuck at 165.. Except when I was in the Army. Got up to 195 in 2 months haha. But after leaving I went back to 165.

Now this last year I have started a beer belly..

Looking forward to the answers.

I have heard very good things about "Insanity."
edit on 7/19/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Actually I've been doing the P90X thing for about 2 weeks now, and it does freaking work, as long as YOU put in the work. It is a good routine as long as you are not drastically out of shape. And if you are, you just need to tone down or you'll pretty much kill yourself. I have decided to not change my diet as it isn't too bad to begin with (no junk food, I cook good meals for my family), and I believe that moderation in the changes made will be easier for me to get a good habit of working out like I need to.

P90X like any workout is hard work, it won't come for free.

That said, I still have a little bit of a belly but it is fading fast. I have been "bringing it" and really trying though, and it isn't just the belly that is changing.

I still drink a beer from time to time. Shock Top or Blue Moon is my brew and only one every couple days or so, for enjoyment. I'm not going to take away one of the little pleasures I enjoy when I deserve it.

I torrented P90x just to make sure I would like it, and then purchased it. Well worth it if you are serious about getting into shape.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
double post, really?!
edit on 19-7-2012 by fourthmeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Wear a corset.
Instant results.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Easy way, ditch ALL "bad" carbs (pasta, bread, sugar, juice, etc.) including and especially all alcohol. I dropped 35 lbs. In 2.5 months by following the first phase of the South Beach Diet and trying to stay right at 1000 calories for the day. That was during the relatively inactive winter months. If you do excercise a lot, by all means eat more, your body will tell you if you require more fuel.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Firstly it's important to know this: alcohol creates "brown" fat-cells as opposed to regular fat-cells which are twice as hard to burn off - so cut back on alcohol intake.

Secondly, working out will help you lose some weight and get your metabolism kicking into gear - but dieting is just as important and can work on its own as well. I recommend "The Paleo Diet" (link in signature) or a similar spin off (Spartan Health Regime, The Caveman Diet, etc). Basically a low-carb nutrient dense diet. Cut out as much processed food as possible. That includes breads and cereal - its basically just empty calories with virtually zero vitamins and minerals.

I also recommend "Intermittent Fasting" (which ISN'T going days without food) but instead just narrowing your "feeding window" to a few hours each day. Instead of having 3 meals a day dispersed throughout the day, get the same amount of calories and vitamins in 4 hours or so, and then fast again until the next day.

I also wouldn't fork over money on Insanity or any other workout program (not that there is anything wrong I can see with Insanity) - it's just that there is plenty of free information on the internet.

I suggest every second day going jogging for 40 mins and every other day doing body-weight compound movements (push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, dips, squats etc). Give yourself a cheat day once a week (don't go overboard) - just keep it simple and fun otherwise you will burnout and you'll regress.

The other thing is!! - Sit-ups DON'T get rid of stomach fat, they might make your stomach more shapely, but fat is lost when operating in a caloric-deficit not from specific exercises per se.

Keep it fun, get your 7 hours sleep, drink plenty of water, cut out empty calories, operate in a caloric deficit (use more energy than you are consuming), cut back on alcohol, don't burn yourself out.

Ease your way in. Good luck!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
I got a real problem.....over the last 2 years I actually have gotten a beer belly.
how do I get rock hard abs and get rid of a beer belly?

Switch to Scotch.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Well I didn't have a beer belly before. I had this excercise program going for over 3 years. It was awsome. It went like this. I had dumbells in my bathroom. So when I went to brush my teeth I did one muscle group. took all of 3 minutes. That actually worked. But I fell off the bandwagon. I might try that again. Just want something simple that I can keep up, nothing crazy cuz I know from experience those never last.

But I have noticed all these things like:

Insanity
p90x
Rush fit
Tap out

All look interesting. I tried rush fit. The warm up is basically a real work out on it's own. Takes way too long. Like 20 minutes just for the warm up. I got a major workout just doing that. Then they get into the real workout.

Ya it's hard. Addicted to food and boze. No job so I have no money and no drive to get out and do anything. I don't have any goals anymore really. Other than keeping informed about what's going on out there. But ya I should try and get back into my old routine. Might be a good destraction from all the stress in life.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
With P90X for me I am the same way about the warm-up. BUT, so is Tony (the guy who made it, the guy who's on there showing you how to do it.) Everything is supposed to burn a bit during the warm-up. That's what makes it work to prevent strain injuries. For resistance weight I like bands but you don't need much.

For the sake of a belly issue, the AB Ripper X is ridiculously good, and runs about 20min though you're best off warming up on your own before hand. The Core Synergistics video is great for for the gut area as well.

In every set of reps of an activity, you really want to feel the burn in those activated muscles on the last 3 reps you do. If you are doing an exercise and you can do 20 reps without a burn, you better keep going. Likewise, if you get 6 in and things start to burn on that 7th, then try for 9 to 10, maybe with a 2 second break to get that last push. Then SHAKE IT OUT, and move on to the next activity.

When I first started, I could not believe the pace and intensity, and I almost gave up after the 5th or 6th activity, which is 1/4 of the way in the video! I would sit clumped in a heap while I watched them keep going. OK, breaks are good if your body is in need of one. BUT you HAVE to get back in it, be it 2 minutes later, 5 minutes later, or 15. GET back in, and continue. I learned that little breaks are good and healthy but pause it so when you're back in, you haven't missed the targeted area and the purpose of the buildup. One thing that helps is that muscle groups are targeted and hit on relentlessly but the actual muscles used are not over-used one exercise to the next. That, and the "muscle confusion" technique seems to work well at least for me. I don't feel like I'm repeating myself to the point of boredom, and I don't feel like I'm 1/2 assing anything because I "know the routine". It is ALL WORK, which makes it work.

Hell, just yesterday it was Ab Ripper X and Biceps/Back. Holy crap, what a night. That stomach of mine is changing quick, and I'm digging the results.

Side note:, and this is just cuz we're real guys here... my sex drive has increased much to my surprise and my wife's. Probably the result of extra hormones in the body for building muscle or something, but damn what a nice thing to have for free.

Maybe someone will let you borrow their discs for free for a while, or torrent it if you're into that.

top topics

join