It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Sheriff Arpaio under scrutiny in racial profiling trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Mexican tourist Manuel Ortega Melendres was a passenger in a car pulled over by deputies of hard-line Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio during a sweep for illegal immigrants, ostensibly because the vehicle's driver was speeding. But moments later Melendres was arrested, despite having a valid visa and producing identification, while the vehicle's white driver was neither cited nor taken into custody. Melendres' ordeal in 2007 is now at the heart of a class action lawsuit to be heard in federal court in Phoenix beginning Thursday in a case that will test whether Arpaio can target the undocumented in immigration "sweeps" without racially profiling Latino citizens. The suit contends that Arpaio, who styles himself "America's toughest sheriff," and his officers violate the constitutional rights of both Hispanic citizens and legal immigrants alike in their zeal to crack down on people they believe to be illegal immigrants in the Phoenix valley. "At trial we will prove that Sheriff Arpaio's fixation on immigration enforcement and his equating of, quote, ‘illegal' with 'Latino' has resulted in systemic civil rights violations," said Cecillia Wang, director of the Immigrants Rights Project at the American Civil Liberties Union

So how will this racist defend himself in court? I wonder how soon he will start saying that Obama is behind this because of his investigation into Obama's BC?

What is really sad is how many people will believe him and overlook his racist attitudes.

BTW the investigation into Joe started when Bush was in office so there goes the blame Obama defense.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Yeah, apparently he is accused of profiling Mexicans, when he really should have spent his time profiling those Canadians!!!

/sarcasm
I have no problems with what he has done, he has combatted something the feds should have a long time ago all within his tiny county budget.
It is just too bad he did not execute the illegals he found, they are insurgents in a time of war.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Yeah, apparently he is accused of profiling Mexicans, when he really should have spent his time profiling those Canadians!!!

/sarcasm
I have no problems with what he has done, he has combatted something the feds should have a long time ago all within his tiny county budget.
It is just too bad he did not execute the illegals he found, they are insurgents in a time of war.

That makes sense, execute people who are escaping a torn country (Mexico) and only looking for a better life for themselves and their children.
How ignorant.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Did you read the article or just spewing hate?

The guy wasn't an illegal.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Yep, definitely doing his job. At least of course if the job of sheriff is to arrest US citizens because they are of Hispanic descent and not investigating reports of child sexual abuse because it inconveniences the suspect. If those are the duties of sheriff then Arpaio is the best in the country.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

/sarcasm

That makes sense, execute people who are escaping a torn country (Mexico) and only looking for a better life for themselves and their children.
How ignorant.

Let them stay and fight for their own country.
Like drowning men hanging on a life raft.
If you have enough people hanging onto the side of your ship fighting to get in, it will sink.
I say use the oars and club the cling ons.
It is not my fault or responsibility if they cannot or will not fight for what is theirs.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by g146541

Read what? the msm propaganda, nope sure didn't.
I happen to know folks who say Sheriff Joe is doing a great job.
If someone gets deported, they can get back in quite easily and then pursue legal action.
You can call it hate if that is what you need to do, I call it common sense.
If we do not secure our ship it will sink.
You do have to admit, the Mexicans are much easier to spot than those Canadians.
But if you need, I'll hate them too if and when the come here illegally.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

/sarcasm

How ignorant.

If you have enough people hanging onto the side of your ship fighting to get in, it will sink.
It is not my fault or responsibility if they cannot or will not fight for what is theirs.

Maybe the Europeans should have done this instead of coming to America huh?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

reply to post by g146541

If someone gets deported, they can get back in quite easily and then pursue legal action.
You do have to admit, the Mexicans are much easier to spot than those Canadians.

Way to show your ignorance. Don't read the article but you have no problem running your mouth about it. These are the kind of people who thinks this racist is doing a good job. As long as it's not affecting white people it's ok.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

reply to post by g146541

Way to show your ignorance. Don't read the article but you have no problem running your mouth about it. These are the kind of people who thinks this racist is doing a good job. As long as it's not affecting white people it's ok.

I was under the impression that the thread was titled,

Unless the OP mislabeled the article, I know exactly what this story is about.
No matter what the words say.
It is about making a sheriff who is doing a good job despite all of the roadblocks put in his way look bad.
Sheriff Joe is not where the problem is.
But you know that don't you?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

/sarcasm

How ignorant.

Actually I was under the impression our ancestors were sent here to colonnize for resources for the crown.
And the country was not an establlished empire either.
So....that dog don't hunt.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
double post
edit on 19-7-2012 by g146541 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

/sarcasm

How ignorant.

Actually I was under the impression our ancestors were sent here to colonnize for resources for the crown.

That's irrelevant this land didn't belong to them. They had no right to come in and take anything.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010[/

What is really sad is how many people will believe him and overlook his racist attitudes.

BTW the investigation into Joe started when Bush was in office so there goes the blame Obama defense.

I'm sorry but do you reside in Arizona? I do. While I don't agree with racial profiling the problem with illegals is outrageous in this state.

People who live here and pay taxes don't qualify for benefits while illegals with children do. They get food stamps, cash assistance, and free medical care while tax paying citizens don't.

Arizona is a haven for many types of illegals and not all of them are from Mexico. This state has "move here if you are illegal all over it." It has to stop.

If you can come up with a better idea than to ask people for identification to prove they are a citizen, say it, please because over 50% of the people here are Hispanic.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sulie

I'm sorry but do you reside in Arizona? I do. While I don't agree with racial profiling the problem with illegals is outrageous in this state.

I do.

Apraio needs to be time traveled back 100 years or so.

Yeah! He takes care of those who agree with him.

If you get raped or robbed or whatever - - - and are not one of his crony followers - - - you're screwed.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

/sarcasm

How ignorant.

That's irrelevant this land didn't belong to them. They had no right to come in and take anything.

DING DING DING we have a winner as this land does not belong to the Mexicans and they have not formally declared war so they are insurgents!!
They have no right to come and take anything, especially our jobs.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Sulie

I do.

Apraio needs to be time traveled back 100 years or so.

Yeah! He takes care of those who agree with him.

If you get raped or robbed or whatever - - - and are not one of his crony followers - - - you're screwed.

I did political polling for a candidate from Scottsdale that wants to run against Joe. People either love him or hate him. There is no middle ground. Unfortunately from what I discovered having canvassed quite a bit of the valley, he has far more lovers than haters. So, he doesn't need to travel back in time a hundred years or so. His followers do.

new topics

top topics

join