It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Israeli man has set himself on fire"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Israel's social protest movement has renewed the unity of purpose and collective ethos that has largely disappeared from the country – and Moshe Silman's tragic act of self-immolation, that I witnessed, may re-charge it even more.

And that wave has continued to gather and give the social justice movement new life as Israelis digest, debate and search for meaning in the act of a 57-year-old Haifa man named Moshe Silman, who paid his taxes, did his army reserve duty and ran a business before sliding in an economic abyss with seemingly no social safety net to catch him.

He now lies in Tel Aviv's Sheba Medical Center in a medical coma, some 95 percent of his body covered in burns.

Yet another self immolation desperate act, and now in Israel.
Since the Bouazizi incident in Tunisia, self immolation has been on the rise world wide.

I'm wondering if this can start a revolution in Israel, like it did in Tunisia...

Link
edit on 19-7-2012 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Why do people feel the need to engulf themselves in flames to exact some sort of change in the world, quite self serving if you read into it, all this is coming from someone who denies his neighbor the right to...live...?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I've been pointing this out for years. The Israeli's just want peace. Their government, which the people have little choice in due to the way it's set up, don't. If there is an area in the world that need people standing up against their government it's Israel. Good people. Crappy government. That can be said about a lot though. Including my own.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This has to be one of the most ignorant forms of protest that people can do. It doesnt work for tibetan monks and it wont work for this guy.

edit on 19-7-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
This has to be one of the most ignorant forms of protest that people can do. It doesnt work for tibetan monks and it wont work for this guy.

Worked for Tunisia.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

What would work genius ?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

The guy had a history of mental instability. He was crazy...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CountDrac
reply to post by samsamm9

The guy had a history of mental instability. He was crazy...

And your point being ?

It is my understanding that if you're able to set fire on yourself, you're probably
suffering from some kind of mental or emotional instability.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9

What would work genius ?

Whatever cause that hes protesting actually being helped by torching himself. Problem with comprehension "genius?"

CX

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I bet Iran still gets the blame for it.

CX.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Good people. Crappy government. That can be said about a lot though. Including my own.

Isn't that the truth, the sad part is Iran seems to be in a very similar situation. If both governments were truly "by the people" there would be very little conflict between the two nations. It would help stabilize the region IMHO.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9

What would work genius ?

Whatever cause that hes protesting actually being helped by torching himself. Problem with comprehension "genius?"

I'm not worthy, you're the genius Sir.

To go back to the subject, you're saying it has to be the "most ignorant forms to protest",
I say your brilliant super smart genius genes just don't get it, and it's sad.

Self immolation has to be the most extreme types of protests, the desperate man's protest, and let's just
hope you and I never really understands what it is to take part in the "most ignorant forms to protest"(your words not mine).

new topics

top topics

join