It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA Prepares to Green-Light Gnarliest GMO Soy Yet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

USDA Prepares to Green-Light Gnarliest GMO Soy Yet

www.motherjones.com

In early July, on the sleepy Friday after Independence Day, the USDA quietly signaled its intention to green-light a new genetically engineered soybean seed from Dow AgroSciences. The product is designed to produce soy plants that withstand 2,4-D, a highly toxic herbicide (and, famously, the less toxic component in the notorious Vietnam War-era defoliant Agent Orange).

the USDA can only regulate genetically modified organisms if they literally pose a risk to other plants as defined by the Fed
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Here we go again, more GMO
GMO this GMO that!!!!

Despite......
Genetically modified food unsafe: Scientists

Genetically engineered foods are not safe, have not been properly tested and pose a serious threat to human health and the environment, according to a new report by two genetic engineers.

Furthermore, the authors said, GMO crops have increased the use of toxic herbicides and pesticides that have been linked to cancer, birth defects and other medical issues.

www.torontosun.com...

GMO cannot be good for you
Why mess up mother nature's formula
But it's worse than that, it's not simply humans tinkling with mother nature's formula
It's mega corporations that have an almost monopoly on the seed market and who don't care about human life.

Anyone noticed the increase in GMO this and GMO that in the news lately????

ARGHHHHHHHHHh

www.motherjones.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
May God issue the ultimate judgement to those who force this GMO crap on the population.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The only solution is to start growing your own food.

I do and am thankfull everyday. What I can't grow or get myself as far as meats I find local farmers and butchers who deal only in organic ( or as close as possible).

I can no longer trust the food industry to not poison me. Just look at all the products that Palm Oil has infiltrated in the last few years..

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
[yvid]

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Just look at all the products that Palm Oil has infiltrated in the last few years..

Can you educate me a little on this?
i'm not familiar of what Palm Oil has been doing at all

Thanks

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Gladly

www.saynotopalmoil.com...

Article

It's nasty stuff, and just another product they use to exploit others.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It's getting to the point that anything you eat is going to be GMO.
There is no real way to fight.
Unless we stand up in Unity against this threat to our health.
The chances of that happening?...
Unless we start getting cancer DIRECTLY after consumption, most people don't care enough.
WE are an era of immediate gratification. Or degratification as this story goes.
It just needs to be in the publics face more.
S&F

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ChristIsHere

thats what i am trying to do on here but threads like im time traveler get more notice i have tried on other sites im getting to the stage were i think #em let them get cancer if you haven't watched the world according to monsanto then you should give it ago
it does have alot of info on monsanto and what they have done to change laws so they can put there crops any were without letting anyone know

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChristIsHere
Unless we start getting cancer DIRECTLY after consumption, most people don't care enough.
WE are an era of immediate gratification. Or degratification as this story goes.
S&F

No need to fret.. Once the SHTF none of these companies will exist anymore and we'll be back to 1800's style of farming. At least that's what I'm waiting for(not thrilled about it). IDK about anyone else.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mattdel

Actually it's still a big problem.

GMO crops are mutating our land and making it so that our normal, non GMO crops cannot grow in some of those soils anymore.

So when the SHTF and we have no more GMO seeds, some people won't be able to feed themselves the good old fashioned way.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Once the animals die off (i think we will be some of the last to do so, were so darn resillient!) and the plants, the Zombie Appocolypse will begin!!!
On a serious note... It's almost overwhelming if not almost impossible to eradicate.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I didnt know Palm Oil was bad. What does it do?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

It does nothing really, that's the main problem.

It's a food additive that isn't required, yet it's high market value makes it so that companies are destroying natural habitats in order to get it and then sticking it in food where it doesn't belong to justify the actions.

Read the links I posted above, I'm sure there's more research available on the net as well. But I do not buy ANY products that I have a moral issue with because of it's content.

I vote with my dollars.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

The only solution is to start growing your own food.

I do and am thankfull everyday. What I can't grow or get myself as far as meats I find local farmers and butchers who deal only in organic ( or as close as possible).

I can no longer trust the food industry to not poison me. Just look at all the products that Palm Oil has infiltrated in the last few years..

~Tenth

There's nothing wrong with palm oil!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thebtheb

Making declarative statements without backing them up with fact, is kind of pointless.

So I'll just ignore your opinion until you can provide some substance to it.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChristIsHere
S&F

I wish people wouldn't say GMO is in everything. It's really not. If you just buy whole foods, GMO is pretty easy to avoid. It's mostly the processed foods that it's in. And almost all of the GMO at the store is in the form of corn, soy, canola oil and cotton seed. The produce section is mainly not GMO - the peppers, apples, and most fruits and veggies aren't GMO with a few notable exceptions that you have to be aware of and the exceptions also depend on where you live. One of the worst new things is GMO sugar beets which are now being used to make sugar, so almost anything with sugar is going to be GMO soon enough.

I just won't eat any of it and that's that. I just read the ingredients of everything and keep on top of what out there is GMO. Most processed foods are crap anyway, so avoiding them has been great for me - I make mostly all my own food right now. And the whole idea about "I don't have the time," - well, that's part of the problem!
I also vote with my dollars. If everyone did that, GMOs would disappear. They're not going to make them or sell them if no one buys them. WE are in control. It's just that most people don't know what GMOs are, and everyone's buying them!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

reply to post by thebtheb

Making declarative statements without backing them up with fact, is kind of pointless.

So I'll just ignore your opinion until you can provide some substance to it.

~Tenth

No need to be so snooty when you yourself didn't provide a stitch of evidence or anything about palm oil except that it was bad - where's YOUR substance. Yeesh.
I was talking about health effects - it's a relatively benign thing to consume and it's not GMO.

And hey, I think people do what they can, but doing one thing right doesn't mean you're not screwing something up. Using electricity? Contributing to the burning of fossil fuels? Get off the high horse.

new topics

top topics

join