It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Neanderthals sported arms like Popeye

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

The unusually powerful right arms of Neanderthals may not be due to a spear-hunting life as once suggested, but rather one often spent scraping animal skins for clothes and shelters, researchers say.

How many generations would have gone through the use of right hand to develop the popeye like arm? Nevertheless, interesting study (thought I'm sure this aspect was probably brought up earlier during the research in the past).
Linky

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Could have been a shortage of available Neanderthal women. Lol

seriously though I think most past generations of people (even Neanderthals) were probably much much stronger than people today, just because of how much harder one would have to work to just survive. chopping wood working the fields, ect.

lifting weights in a gym dosent give the same strength as hard work does it only adds bulk.

Ive seen a lot of skinny Amish that could throw a muscle head around like a bale of hay if they wanted to.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunchmanstan
Could have been a shortage of available Neanderthal women. Lol
probably and that they were probably all righties
But I have also seen many individuals without any connection to hard physical labor or profession with big forearms. Hell I have seen that on some women too (Assuming its some kind of deficiency or medical condition).

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

The unusually powerful right arms of Neanderthals may not be due to a spear-hunting life as once suggested, but rather one often spent scraping animal skins for clothes and shelters, researchers say.

How many generations would have gone through the use of right hand to develop the popeye like arm?

Depends.

How often to they go swimmin' with bow legged women?

Harte

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

its a valid theory or reason for them to explore the greener pastures (asian modern humans)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

From your link:

Scrapers are also among the most commonly found Neanderthal artifacts, which they used to scrape unwanted tissue off animal skins.

I doubt that the term "unwanted" would really apply. You can use just about every part of an animal for something. The term used with pigs is "from the oink to the tail". Of course, pigs are far, far more easily usable in their entirety. (i love hog hunting).

I would suspect that scraps of meat have a use. And likely would explain dog domestication, at least in part.

Regardless, with the risk and energy involved with hunting, I doubt that there was a lot of waste.
edit on 19-7-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Large forearms equals great grip and wrist power. These people could take down a deer bare handed and were also known to move heavy stones building animal corals, stone shelters and they were probably great climbers too.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I love 'scrapple' too

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Large forearms equals great grip and wrist power. These people could take down a deer bare handed and were also known to move heavy stones building animal corals, stone shelters and they were probably great climbers too.

Theory of evolution certainly applies upto certain extent.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder

Bet they had great forehands too!

top topics

join