It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Jesus the only way to God?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

He seems to be describing to different paths to me and then stating them both to be the best. That's what I'm getting from simple English.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by jhill76

He seems to be describing to different paths to me and then stating them both to be the best. That's what I'm getting from simple English.

I see, but I only saw one path that he stated and that was Jesus's. Maybe I am missing something that you saw.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Perhaps your english needs some work?

I didn't discribe any path... there are many, and i let Jesus discribe the "best" path...

Theres many paths up the mountian... but they all lead to the same place

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Yes

Next question

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

Yes

Next question

Care to elaborate why?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Read Luke 6... The best path is discribed in detail in that chapter

Jesus is not the only way.... Just the best way

Are you saying there is no difference in the two ?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Read Luke 6... The best path is discribed in detail in that chapter

Jesus is not the only way.... Just the best way

Are you saying there is no difference in the two ?

What don't you understand... There is the best path as discribed in that chapter... and there are other "paths"...

I don't see whats so hard to comprehend?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

I like your style no semantics.

Really doesn't matter AK you believe your own interpretation of Gods word I guess and I really don't.
edit on 19-7-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yet you believe in paul, who has no affiliation with Jesus what so ever?

I suppose this all depends on what one believes "Gods word" is... the bible is not Gods word, but it can be found within.

Then again im not christian either so im not subject to others insistance on the bible being the word of God...

Perhaps i'll explain a bit...

One can follow the words of Jesus... OR, one can follow his own path... either way, when they pass they will stand before God...

We have free will to do whatever we wish... so in truth the law is exactly what Alister Crowley stated... "Do what thou wilt is the whole of the law"...

But when that day comes and we stand before God... would you rather say " i did what your son told me to do"... or " i did what i wanted to do"?

In the end it is always our choice.... We all walk our paths.... and at the end of each path is the same doorway... but not the same result once we face God

Get it?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Originally posted by jhill76Could Jesus have meant, imitate me, be like me, and you can enter heaven?

No that scripture is clear that the only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ, we need him as our Savior so we can have our sins forgiven to restore our relationship with God.

Do you really think people who lived their lives like Brother, but don't accept him as Savior will be sent to eternal damnation?

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Is it possible with having a direct relationship with God, or choosing your own way to God, but being good?

None of us are good, for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Without Jesus Christ we are lost. 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

My question is not based on what he did to fulfill scripture or his task. I am asking, can you try and live like him and enter heaven, without doing all the extra stuff?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76

My question is not based on what he did to fulfill scripture or his task. I am asking, can you try and live like him and enter heaven, without doing all the extra stuff?

No nothing we do can get us to heaven, it says in Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast, because we have sinned our righteous deeds, are nothing but filthy rags in the eyes of God if we are relying on them to get us to heaven. Eternal life is a free gift to all who repent and believe on Jesus Christ. We are called to live like him but if we do not have a relationship with him then it's in vain.

edit on 19-7-2012 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

No nothing we do can get us to heaven, it says in Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast, because we have sinned our righteous deeds, are nothing but filthy rags in the eyes of God if we are relying on them to get us to heaven. Eternal life is a free gift to all who repent and believe on Jesus Christ. We are called to live like him but if we do not have a relationship with him then it's in vain.

I see, but did Brother state this, or another? I'm asking specifically on what Jesus told us. Could one have a relationship with God, and live like Jesus, but still go to hell by your statements above?
edit on 19-7-2012 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Could Jesus have meant, imitate me, be like me, and you can enter heaven? Do you really think people who lived their lives like Brother, but don't accept him as Savior will be sent to eternal damnation?

I want to make my question clear, as others have responded in a way in which my question is not stated.

I am asking, can one enter heaven, by doing what he told us on living, and have a direct relationship to God, without all of the extra stuff? (Baptism, Confessing, etc.)

My question is not on him dying for sins or anything else along those lines.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

The other things are just signs of Faith... required by religious establishments...

God knows whats in each mans heart regardless of his affiliation...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

How will I know Your way?
How will I know that the way I have chosen
to bring me back to You is the way that will?
Surely You have not left me without guidance,
for You knew from the beginning
that my enemies had already begun building
a myriad of roadways and streets, avenues and boulevards,
side roads and trails, planted and bordered
and beautiful to behold.
Each route fabricated with a promise that it will bring me to a god
whom they have named for me.
How will I know Your way
from all who entice me to confound me
and claim me for their own.
Before they knew of me You had kissed me.
Before they had seen me You had pledged to me
and tutored me to freedom.
So when I look upon all that beckon to me with smiles
and listen to all that call out to me with promises
I may remember Your Word
out of Whom I came and Who even now sustains me.
Not one count of time have I been without You.
The law You provided was my cautioning,
and the prophets You raised were my road signs
leading me to that promised place where True Love
teaches me,
heals me,
provides for me
and protects and comforts me.
Who suffered my sufferings,
died my death,
overcame my death and returned my life,
and took my hand and brought me back to You.
Thank You, Jesus.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Well said.

The Bible looks like a CIA or FBI document, with several of the lines blacked out, like this. Because of indoctrination, they keep perpetuating it's fallacious infallibility, they don't know to question it, and are just too afraid too.

Fear-based faith is like trying to build a house on top of rapids, never mind sand! People kneel while the heads run off laughing with all the money and knowing that their "flock" is spiritually impotent.

"You're a dirty, dirty sinner, boy!" No we aren't. We're beautiful creations and creators. We bring forth the beauty and ugly of all things. A flower that has no admirers doesn't exist. A path that has no journeyman doesn't exist. We exist to admire everything and to experience everything. And being part of the "creation," we create and shape our destinies, our lives. Man's free will is to know and understand his divine sovereignty over himself. We're not little sheep that need to be babied, at least, we shouldn't be. The Bible alone is like a baby bottle for a grown man... sorry.

Jesus' way is the way of wisdom and love among other things, which is the way of all of the world's great teachers and gurus. Salvation comes from those two things. The happiest people in the world are the ones that are loving and the ones that are wise enough to know that the things in life are transitory. I absolutely love him - a rebel, a "heretic", a beacon of light and salvation, and a love that's very much ineffable. There are many messengers of light though, and they continue even to this day, not just 2000 years ago. We should learn to hear each other out when we aren't meditating and listening to our inner light (and that resides within EVERYONE). With sound rationality and discernment, we can come to know our own sovereignty and grace, and realize that every person is capable of embodying the light as Jesus did, as the Buddha did, and so on.

The establishment fears this, that's why dogma never says how wonderful we are, only that we are "sinners" and "lowly humans."
I have found flashes of light in many places that you wouldn't expect to find it, like from Carl Sagan: "The cosmos is also within us, We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Nice thread jhill -- it's a good read.

edit on 19/7/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by apsalmist

Oh, that was sooooooo beautiful!! I loved it and totally enjoyed feeling the sorrow, happiness, lonliness, and everything else that comes with knowing Jesus. Xoxo thank you so much for sharing.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I was talking to my cousin the other day who I just met. She and I are the same age and have lead different journeys, obvioisly. She is what I would consider a die hard Christian. She knows hers Bible and will tell anyone in a New York minute that they will go to hell if they do not accept Jesus Christ as their Lord!

For my heart..... This is so sad. And.....

Sadly many think this way. I have, over the years met many radical thinkers who believe word for word anything and everything the Bible says.

We as a whole (7 billion of us) are different in many ways. We didnt create these diferences as some are what we would consider genetic. Generation after generation we are taught..... But does the heart follow what we are taught? No... Not in enveru instance its not. People think differently when reading any material. They get out of it what it is that speaks to them the most. Some discern a lot while some none.

Its just not black and white to me.

Its more.... More than meets the eye, more than we can fathom, and its more than what Matthew, Luke, John, and so on.... Thought as well.

Jesus told us to follow him. Do as he does. Live as he lives. Love. Love without judgement for you will be judged. Turn the other cheek when someone slaps you. He tells us if you do or say something without a clear intent of love on your heart then it means nothing. He also said no one gets to the father but through him. So... When we all die we will see Jesus. When this happens then we will get into the gates of heaven and learn what it is we did not do while here but also the goodness we gave to the world.

What I dont understand is how or why people think only certain few will be privy to go to paradise while the rest of us rot in hell??? Just doesnt make sense! Jesus never ever said that. Not to mention he never said for us to create a religion in his name and make the church bigger, the preachers pocket bigger, and forget about the poor.

When I did attend church back in the day I never understood why people gave their money to the church, so they could " feed the poor"?? If people want to freely and or blindly give money.... Give it to someone you know needs it!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I've been told that the right question IS the answer.

Many many moons ago I initiated a great period of comparative study in my life which included researching the world's wisdom traditions, reading various sacred texts, diving into Neo-Agism, reading works on contemporary spirituality, etc, etc,. It also included prayer, fasting, dialogue with many different people of various worldviews, meditation, and a lot of deep reflection. Despite my intent and desire - I felt as if I hadn't taken a single step - the very air I breathed seemed pregnant with uncertainty. The great unknown remained hidden from me, ever veiled in shadows and spoken of in whispers too quiet to hear. I had never felt so lost. It truly did feel like the dark night of the soul.

But I was relentless. I wanted truth and nothing less. I always believed, always, that one day I would find truth and that I would know it once I had found it.

That there was a knowing - the knowing of which would change everything.

It was then that I decided to at least consider the possibility that Scripture might have something meaningful to teach me, some hidden wisdom to impart. I wasn't exactly considering the possibility that Scripture was the Creator's sole self-revelation to humanity.

... and then my world was shaken.

But that's another discussion entirely.

I remember asking at some point - if Jesus DID exist, then it was NECESSARY for Him to exist.

Why was/is it necessary for Christ to exist?

This one question continues to open doors for me; I constantly find myself drawn ever deeper into its simple profundity and the vast scope of its implications. It's a very revealing question.

Do you want the answer to your question?

In order to understand the christian pathos one MUST start with the greater narrative and scale down from there.

To answer it in a way that is hardly meaningful or impacting - yes, yes He is the only way to God.

If you'd like to hear my reasons for believing so, I'd happily oblige.

I won't be the uninvited guest however.

Regards,

FTE
edit on 19-7-2012 by followtheevidence because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join