It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Jesus the only way to God?

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Yes.

It is the Spirit of God that works through mankind to do God's will.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Good answer...to a point. What is "God"? Please explain using your own words.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

God is the Creator of all things.
God has always existed, He is the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last.
God has no boundaries.
God is the all powerful.
God is the all knowing.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

You must have missed the part where the social gathering I attended was with the members of the local Lion's Club. You might want to do some research on the organization and what it does. This is just one of the few charitable organizations that we're involved in.

Nope, didn't miss the "Lion's Club"part. Spoke directly about being part of charitable organizations.
My critique of your position stands, just as written.

I'm not "bitter", and just in case your next "defense" is that I'm "just jealous", don't bother with that one either. I'm perfectly content in not being a hypocrite, not living beyond my means, not hoarding wealth that can help others, and living a modest life in a modest home. I have opted out of the work force by choice -- partly because society makes me nauseated and furious, and partly so that others can have work. I do not wish to compete.

You persist in speaking to me as though I'm some poor little shmoe, a "bruised child" of some kind who will "learn and grow wise." Ma'am, I am 53 years old, and was brought up in a middle-class (not elite, but comfortable) lifestyle. I have an advanced education in the Humanities and Behavioral Health. I am bilingual, and can converse with a homeless transient, a Guatemalan housekeeper, a Mexican tamale vendor, and every type of individual in between just as easily -- on up to a megacorporate CEO.

In addition, I am skilled as an improvisational entertainer, and as a public speaker in front of state-of-the-art professional audiences without one glimmer of stage fright. These qualities makes me polylingual...I know body language, I can read eyes, and I see through plastic manners. I am not going to be intimidated or "pitied" into submission. I am going to continue to point out where I see problems. And I see many problems.

I do not retract nor apologize for anything I have written to you. Save your "sorries" and "assessments" of my emotional state and spiritual health. I want nothing you have to offer, and will continue to insist that it is people who refuse to do anything "real" about changing humanity's trajectory who are the problem. Silver tongued apathy with token
charitable donations is what is holding us back.

"It will never happen," you say. And do know why that is likely to be the case? Because you, and others like you say so.

Want to know where it is we're headed instead?
Read 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins, here's a little taste of the theme as described by the novelist (click the link, it goes to the Themes section of the Wiki page):

In an interview with Collins, it was noted that the books "[tackle] issues like severe poverty, starvation, oppression, and the effects of war among others."[9] The book deals with the struggle for self-preservation that the people of Panem face in their districts and the Hunger Games in which they must participate.[10] The starvation and need for resources that the citizens encounter both in and outside of the arena create an atmosphere of helplessness that the main characters try to overcome in their fight for survival.

and when you're done with that (no worries, it's easy, it's a young adult novel well worth the effort), and all warmed up, read 'Non Zero' by Robert Wright, followed by 'The Evolution of God' by him as well.

End of chat. Come back when you've read all three and then tell me how things are, and why.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

It is not automatically instilled in everyone at birth.

Yes, it is.

Unfortunately, it is not nurtured or recognized by many, due to neglect and misunderstanding of Jesus' message.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

I'm not "bitter", and just in case your next "defense" is that I'm "just jealous", don't bother with that one either. I'm perfectly content in not being a hypocrite, not living beyond my means, not hoarding wealth that can help others, and living a modest life in a modest home. I have opted out of the work force by choice -- partly because society makes me nauseated and furious, and partly so that others can have work. I do not wish to compete.

You're not bitter? Maybe I misunderstood when I read this recent quote of yours in another thread.

Sorry, guys, my frustration and pain are showing.....I'll be better very soon!

By the way, I don't live beyond my means, hoard wealth, or live in a lavish home either. No, I choose not to compete either. All that ever did was kick a bunch of people out their homes.

You persist in speaking to me as though I'm some poor little shmoe, a "bruised child" of some kind who will "learn and grow wise." Ma'am, I am 53 years old, and was brought up in a middle-class (not elite, but comfortable) lifestyle. I have an advanced education in the Humanities and Behavioral Health. I am bilingual, and can converse with a homeless transient, a Guatemalan housekeeper, a Mexican tamale vendor, and every type of individual in between just as easily -- on up to a megacorporate CEO.

If I ever spoke to you in a way that made you feel like a "bruised child", that's only because you've insinuated in your own posts that you were a bruised child from your religious upbringing. I can't make you feel bruised, only you can make yourself feel bruised.

In addition, I am skilled as an improvisational entertainer, and as a public speaker in front of state-of-the-art professional audiences without one glimmer of stage fright. These qualities makes me polylingual...I know body language, I can read eyes, and I see through plastic manners. I am not going to be intimidated or "pitied" into submission. I am going to continue to point out where I see problems. And I see many problems.

I commend you for your accomplishments that you've stated above, and I have no doubt that you're using them for the betterment of mankind too.

I do not retract nor apologize for anything I have written to you. Save your "sorries" and "assessments" of my emotional state and spiritual health. I want nothing you have to offer, and will continue to insist that it is people who refuse to do anything "real" about changing humanity's trajectory who are the problem. Silver tongued apathy with token charitable donations is what is holding us back.

No one said you had to apologize, but realize that many of the feelings you have are brought on by yourself, not by me.

How do you consider what I do to not be "real"? Token charitable contributions? They are not token. We do them because we love God and love others. No, a token charitable contribution would be coming from someone who has no thankfulness or appreciation of God, the world around them, or what God has given them.

By the way, I don't need to read young adult books to know where we are headed or how to resolve the world's problems.

I already know through the Bible.
edit on 23-7-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Congratulations. Not only have you displayed your infallible ability to parrot the words of others, you've demonstrated an outstanding skill for saying a lot, and yet sayinjg nothing at all. I don't think you could have been more vague if you tried.

Now, let's try again. What is "God", IN YOUR OWN WORDS. I will not accept a Biblical definition or priest sermon as an answer, because it is easy to repeat what we hear, but not so easy to understand it.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

By the way, I don't need to read young adult books to know where we are headed or how to resolve the world's problems.

I already know through the Bible.

Oh, right. That would be beneath you, you already have all the answers.

Try Robert Wright then, he's brilliant, and his two books cited are certainly NOT young adult fiction. They address today's very real problems and the very real history of your Bible and your "God". But I don't suppose you'll want to read them....they're hefty, and heady, and should be essential reading for EVERY American, and EVERY World Leader.

Nonzero, refers to the concept of the "non-zero-sum," which comes from game theory. Looking at human history--and for that matter the whole history of life on earth--through the lenses of game theory can change your view of life. At least, that is a premise of this book. What exactly is meant by "change your view of life"? That is a question with a book-length answer. But there is enough material on this website to give you the general idea.

and

In a work of vast erudition and pungent wit, Wright takes on some of the past century’s most prominent thinkers, including Isaiah Berlin, Karl Popper, Stephen Jay Gould, and Richard Dawkins. He finds evidence for his position in unexpected corners, from native American hunter-gatherer societies and Polynesian chiefdoms to Medieval Islamic commerce and precocious Chinese technology; from conflicts of interest among a cell’s genes to discord at the World Trade Organization.

Wright argues that a coolly scientific appraisal of humanity’s three-billion-year past can give new spiritual meaning to the present and even offer political guidance for the future. Nonzero will change the way people think about the human prospect.

Here's what one reviewer had to say about The Evolution of God

Dan Cryer
“Survival of the nicest,” The Boston Globe

As a lively writer, supple thinker, and imaginative synthesizer, Wright is bound to attract attention. His sprightly style deprives his subject of any solemnity. “Among the Aranda of central Australia,” he writes, “one of the shaman’s jobs was ensuring that solar eclipses would be temporary—nice work if you can get it.”

As a bold formulator he’s also a lightning rod for controversy. The Evolution of God, which explores permutations in our concepts of the deity, will please neither hard-core atheists nor fundamentalists of any faith. It’s too open to theism for the former, too rooted in scientific rationalism for the latter…

Wright’s description of Paul as an entrepreneur brilliant at expanding his Jesus “brand” throughout the polyglot Roman Empire may put off some Christians, but it provides a convincing account of why early Christianity was able to succeed among a Babel of competing deities.

The sources are in my previous response to you, but here they are for others who may want to jump right into the fray:
Non Zero, The Logic of Human Destiny
The Evolution of God

edit on 23-7-2012 by wildtimes because: add links for the convenience of the inquisitive and open-minded

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Now, let's try again. What is "God", IN YOUR OWN WORDS. I will not accept a Biblical definition or priest sermon as an answer, because it is easy to repeat what we hear, but not so easy to understand it.

No explanation I give will be enough for you. Feel free to go through all of my posts as to what God is, they are all there and there's not enough room on this thread for me to repost them all.

The only way to understand it is through the power of the Holy Spirit. Unfortunately, I am not the one capable of giving it or receiving it to you or for you.

The way to receiving the power of the Holy Spirit has already been given to you in this thread.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NihilistSanta

This isnt even the why the God is in you point of view is anti-biblical. The point is God is the Creator and is seperate from his creation.

Romans 1:25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen.
God is not someone (or something) who has His (or its) constituent parts derived from the physical universe, where we (as humans) would have some (or most) of the constituent parts of our being coming from the physical universe (which is itself a creation).
edit on 23-7-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

No explanation I give will be enough for you. Feel free to go through all of my posts as to what God is, they are all there and there's not enough room on this thread for me to repost them all.

That's not your understanding of God. That's you parrotting everything you've read or heard from the Bible. Is that enough for you? If it is, then I'm surprised anyone takes you seriously. Someone who does not seek to understand what they've read or heard, simply takes it all at face value, is someone whose opinion cannot be trusted because they don't base their opinion on anything worth noting.

It is one thing to stand up for what you believe in; it is another thing entirely to have nothing to ground your beliefs in.

The only way to understand it is through the power of the Holy Spirit. Unfortunately, I am not the one capable of giving it or receiving it to you or for you.

That's as poor an excuse as I have ever read on this site. "The only way to learn how to drive, is by reading the manual." There is more than one way to skin a cat, and all you've succeeded in explaining is that you don't, in fact, know anything about God at all except the vague little excerpts from the Bible.

And that really doesn't get you anywhere in understanding God. Trust me, I've tried. I can ask you five questions and you wouldn't be able to answer any of them. You'd bleat about faith, and all that good stuff.

Which is all just another way of saying, "I don't care that I don't understand my religion, it makes me feel good and that's all that matters." Saddening, really. I no longer believe human beings to be the most intelligent species on the planet.

Now, dolphins are the master race. Why? I don't know, I just say it repeatedly until I believe it. Make sense?

The way to receiving the power of the Holy Spirit has already been given to you in this thread.

Oh, I'm well aware. Stop thinking and be a good little subservient piece of crap at the end of God's little toe. No, sorry. I have this thing called "integrity". And I believe you worship a false god. As long as we're discussing belief and faith, right? Well, there's my opinion. And since you can't disprove it, I guess we're at an impasse.

...With all due respect, of course.

edit on 23-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

God is obviously not human, so why do we talk about it as though it were a man? Why not a woman? Why anything related to human adjectives?

This alone says that we don't know s**t about God.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

No, I totally disagree that the Bible is only about how to live life. At least 30% of the Bible is about prophecy.

The 30% is there to validate the 70%, without validation, it would be just heresy.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

AfterInfinity, how many times have I told you that's it's not all about research and study? You're the only one doing that, not me?!! No, it comes in the form of spiritual experiences too. One of which I listed in Wildtimes thread on "Christian Upbringing?".

When are you going to make an effort to experience spirituality as opposed to just reading about it?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

There is a difference between spirituality and swallowing mankind's visions of spirituality. One is pure and true, and the other is a flawed construct tainted with a lack of understanding. The day mankind accepts its inability to really understand Source, is the day spirituality will once again be true.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Spirituality is spirituality.

You've either experienced it, or you haven't.

You don't have to understand it in it's entirety to have experienced it.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

You don't have to understand it in it's entirety to have experienced it.

Experience is nothing without understanding. That you don't know this, alarms me.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Maybe you've never come to the understanding in life that sometimes you have to experience something before you can even begin to understand it?!!

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

What you're missing here is that just because you've experienced it, doesn't mean you understand it. We thought lightning was caused by Zeus, remember?

See what NOT UNDERSTANDING can do to the world in your head?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

That thought was put in people's heads by other spirits, but that's for an entirely different thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join