It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I survive without a college degree. What other options do I have

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

"also, regardless of weather you have a college degree or not, its going to be tough."

I was hoping I could avoid the "tough" part...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
A problem that I have is...I dont really like to do ANTHING. It's not that I'm lazy it's that I honestly dont have a desire to do anything. I dont want to be a plumber, farmer, Insert here, etc...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I work in the trades and have done better than I ever would have with a college degree. Me and my girlfriend do industrial construction and move about every other year from job to job. It can be a pain but we get to see alot of the US and make enough that when we have a few months in between jobs that we can go enjoy things.

Fewer and fewer young people are getting into the trades and will become more in demand in the comming years. It is hard work and takes a few years to become a true journeyman, but with some hard work and appling yourself you could expect 50000 to 80000 a year.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I know that it is 'trendy' to hire a college degree but we found it to be useless. We were getting people that went to four years of school in the proper field and couldn't apply it once here. As with nearly every job, you get 1% in the classroom and 99% hands-on.

We now hire based on portfolios and tests only. We aren't the only ones either, it is picking up steam in my industry to hire based on performance and not degrees... like it used to be done before the college fad.

Since I'm here I might as well rant a bit.. Colleges teach as part of their curriculum a software program called "3DMax". Now they say it is because it is what the industry wants. Truth is the industry doesn't want that crap but sometimes uses it because that is what people know. Colleges should never be in the business of dictating what direction other industries should use. Colleges should only give you the tools to learn 'anything' once you get there.

Taking up a trade or internships is a good way to jump directly to the hands on, so-long-as you have the critical thinking skills needed.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

"also, regardless of weather you have a college degree or not, its going to be tough."

I was hoping I could avoid the "tough" part...

well it really depends how you look at it.

you could

A- walk around filling out ten thousand resume's and not have a single one ever call you back (as usual no matter who you are)

or B- you can try to find a nice farmer person and tell them about you and whats going on, and ask for some kind of thing where you work for them for food?

i don't know...

i hope you do ok.

really good job idea: just wander around the country, offering to "help people" in whatever it is they may need help in doing, for really cheap, like 10$ or 5$ or whatever.

just be that "helper person" your like a hero, you go around and survive on what you making helping people solve their problems.

don't get too mixed up though.

peace, and remember, its just an idea. read my signature.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The problem with people getting degrees is that they get them in stupid stuff like English or anthropology. There is no partocular demand for liberal arts degrees. If you want to spend the time and money for college, you absolutely must get a degree in a worthwhile field. What that is up to you and your research.

But the trades are an excellent alternative. My barber makes $72 an hour cutting hair. A metal trades guy who is not afraid of heights can make over $100 an hour. If you can learn a trade like electrician or plumbing you'll always be in demand, and if you've got the guts to start your own business, sky is the limit. Pick something where you wind up with a useful skill.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
There are lots of us Who do not have college degrees and are doing very well. I am one of them. Yes, you will find it difficult to get a job in a large company without a degree. Focus on the sla. Mom-and-pop firms who really don't care if you have a degree, al they care about is whether or not you can do the job.

Or start your own busiess. (Even if you had a degree, I assure you that nothing you learn in college is of use to you when you start a small busiess.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join