It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Born in 1993 stuck in 1984

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
After reading george orwells book 1984 it left me thinking, was he right? Obviously the internet wasnt around in his time and theres no way he could have seen it coming, so what state would we be in today if it was never made?
Its a bleak thought to say the least...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wongbeedman

Give "Brave New World" a try... you may find it more broadly accurate in the same unnerving way.

And it was easy to see it coming if you were willing to look and not turn away in horror or laughter.

Just like there are people writing "fiction" today trying to get people to wake up to what is coming... and of course we'll find people later saying "No way... how did they know?"

Namaste.
edit on 2012/7/19 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I always preferred the 'stranger in a strange land' take on the future.........now that is an acceptable take on religion

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman
After reading george orwells book 1984 it left me thinking, was he right? Obviously the internet wasnt around in his time and theres no way he could have seen it coming, so what state would we be in today if it was never made?
Its a bleak thought to say the least...

Actually the infrastructure for the Internet was around in Orwell's day, although everything going across it were analogue signals and the whole thing was circuit switched. Several contemporaries (including Tesla) played with the idea of a global visual communications network using the telephone system and radio transmitters as carriers.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

Ok *the internet as we know it

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wongbeedman

LOL......so Gore gets an *, you think he will be annoyed?

join