It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee mosque sues to open

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I think what we need is a limit on how many "worship places" a said religion can build. I m not trying to be mean against one, but, Mosques taking up every intersection corners, they are equivalent to churches now.

A fellow Muslim said, it is a Muslim's goal to have a church on every street corner because they need to be ready for prayer whenever its time and without having to walk long distance.

Before i get labelled as a religion, i detest all religions(not people, except if you are extremist) and everything associated with it.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Well again that would be a violation of the First Amendment. A limit to worship places? Let me tell you something in the area I live, which is a very large area, in Ohio, there is not one Mosque near where I live. I have to travel an hour or so to get to one. In my town, which is a small town, do you know how many churches there are? 4! There are numerous churches in just about every town, village, city, etc. that you go into in this country. There are only a fraction of that number when it comes to Mosques. Islam is not taking over America

And I don't know who this anonymous "fellow Muslim" is but not everyone who claims to be Muslim speaks for Islam. I don't know where he gets this alleged goal because I never received any Muslim newsletters informing me of this goal.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786

A federal judge on Wednesday will consider whether to force a Tennessee county to allow a Muslim congregation to begin worshipping in its newly built mosque, which has faced strong opposition from a group of residents.

[...]

In May, a Rutherford County judge overturned the county's approval of the mosque construction and this month he ordered the county not to issue an occupancy permit for the 12,000-square-foot building.

Full article

This is a First Amendment issue. To block this mosque is nothing but a Freedom of Religion violation. Imagine if it was somewhere in America that a church was being blocked. Christians nationwide would be up in arms.

This federal judge shouldn't have to "consider" whether to force the county to allow it to open. It's pretty simple. If you value the Constitution then you enforce the First Amendment and tell these Rutherford County, Tennessee Islamophobic bigots to suck it up.

This is NOT a 1st amendment issue. This is a property rights issue. The worship of religion is not dependent upon a building of any kind. If it was, then it would mean that a building is a religion, which is absurd, but not the dogma or focal points of the religion itself.

It is a confusion to insist that somehow the building of a church/mosque has something to do with the ability to worship. Building something is more the worship of the physical, therefore materialist outlook. A church, etc. is merely a billboard of advertisement.

I can "worship" God here in my home, sitting alone in a park, in my jail cell, in my garage, while driving my car, walking down the street or in quiet meditation anywhere on the face of the earth.

No one needs a building for that purpose.

So would you say that since there is no church/synogog/mosque in some given area that there are no worshippers?

I did not say that "no one has a right to build a church". I merely said that it is no religious right apart from faulty thinking processes, and that it is in fact a property rights issue. Having said that, people in any local area do have a right to object to the building of something deemed obnoxious to their tastes.

Building rights do not include building a phallus shaped skyscraper in any downtown area anywhere. Nor could you build a restaurant that looks like a set of cock and balls. EVEN if you made it clear that you worshipped the penis and had some kind of religious experience dealing with sperm.

But all intellectual/emotional bullies are always willing to twist the reasoning process to their advantage, a foul act, and so ought never be granted audience, nor permits.
edit on 20-7-2012 by akalepos because: sp

edit on 20-7-2012 by akalepos because: ss

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786

Well again that would be a violation of the First Amendment. A limit to worship places? Let me tell you something in the area I live, which is a very large area, in Ohio, there is not one Mosque near where I live. I have to travel an hour or so to get to one. In my town, which is a small town, do you know how many churches there are? 4! There are numerous churches in just about every town, village, city, etc. that you go into in this country. There are only a fraction of that number when it comes to Mosques. Islam is not taking over America

And I don't know who this anonymous "fellow Muslim" is but not everyone who claims to be Muslim speaks for Islam. I don't know where he gets this alleged goal because I never received any Muslim newsletters informing me of this goal.

The fellow was a classmate of mine, the subject was brought up when discussing about the mosque being build at ground zero. By the way, i live in Canada, we are pretty much laid back on racism and segregation(it still exist but much much lower rate than America).

My area in my city has 6 churches 4 mosques, 1 Hindu temple, 1 Sikh temple. These churches are at least 20 yrs old, the Hindu and Sikh temple has been there for at least 15 yrs, 3 of the 4 mosques is less than 7 yrs old.

2 mosques are 5 min driving distance. im not against it because of "i want mine but not theirs" but I just don't see the point.

Maybe you feel like this is because Muslim pop is low in your area.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by akalepos

A Mosque isn't a phallic-shaped skyscraper or a restaurant shaped like the male genitals. And the reason why they are objecting to this is because it is a RELIGIOUS building, an Islamic place of worship. Plain and simple. So it is a freedom of religion thing.

You can twist it how you want but if it was a Church, no one would say #.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

The fellow was a classmate of mine, the subject was brought up when discussing about the mosque being build at ground zero. By the way, i live in Canada, we are pretty much laid back on racism and segregation(it still exist but much much lower rate than America).

Well again I don't know where this "classmate" of yours gets his info. Also, it's not a Mosque and it's not at Ground Zero.

2 mosques are 5 min driving distance. im not against it because of "i want mine but not theirs" but I just don't see the point.

The point is they have the right to build a mosque wherever they want. It's not about some "global takeover." It's about coming together as a commuity and worshipping.

Maybe you feel like this is because Muslim pop is low in your area.

No. And the population isn't that low. We just are very spread out in our area and there's no Mosque here close by.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
if you ever watched that dumbass show "American Muslim", they make it look like they're all living in Dearborn, MI...newsflash.....they live all over the Detoilet metro....not to mention, have bought just about every type of business imaginable....including McDonald's...they own more gas stations, party stores, motels, etc, than americans do....a majority of them REFUSE to speak english, but expect to have everything handed to them on a silver platter.....the way I see it...if you're not from america, and don't/won't speak the language, then get the hell out!
edit on 2012/7/20 by moonweed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by moonweed

Wow. This is such false propaganda. For one they ARE Americans! And the majority of them "refuse" to speak English? Prove it.

"Not from America and won't speak the language"? So you mean all the White people in this country who won't speak Native American dialects should leave? Also, America has no official national language, so no one is required to speak English here.

Get your facts straight next time.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

all of the muslims i've encountered in the detroit metro area have no interest in speaking english...when you walk into one of their businesses, they look at you like you're filth...go ahead...make a trip to detroit....you'll see exactly what i'm talking about.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

So your whole argument hinges on an appeal to belief fallacy in the form of personal anecdotes. Well, every Muslim I've met in Pittsburgh are the exact opposite. Therefore, by your own standard, your claim of "the majority" falls apart. Maybe the majority where you have been, MAYBE, but not the majority of Muslims in America.

Furthermore your argument fails because you are using the equation Muslim = Arab. Sorry but there are Muslims of all races and nationalities in the America and in the World.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

The ones that comes to the US from the middle east are here on an agenda that is to infest and conquer that is the sole purpose of moving from their homeland to other nations.

plain and simple and those that are Islamic apologist should take the time are read what the Islam movement is all about.

Is an agenda of conquest.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Or perhaps you should actually read about what Islam is about and stop reading your anti-Islam propaganda books by Christian Islamophobes. See, the finger can be pointed both ways.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Churches in Murfreesboro, TN

Mosques in Murfressboro, TN (Note that A and B are the old and new Mosque in question, and D is an Attorney.)

As you can see, the balance is clearly not equal.

This is not my fight. I am neither against the Mosque or Muslim. As someone who spends a lot of time in Murfreesboro though, I want to just say, I am sorry. I am sorry that this is even an issue. I am sorry that the court is doing whatever they can to slow the process of opening this place of worship. This is a "good ol' boy" town and it is run that way.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Seems most of Tennessee is run that way. A lot of people don't know how backwards people are around these parts. Heck, Stewart county was actually in the top 3 for STD infection in the country for a few years. It's the Ole' Tennessee Taliban. Heck, did they try to pass that "Don't say gay" bill a few months ago.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
What I thought was hilarious about this whole story was that they've been fighting a lawsuit to open for two YEARS, and are now told that they need about two weeks of extra construction to bring the building to code before they can open?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I know of one town with 15,000 residents, and it is only that large because it has a college.... within city limits it has 34 churches, just within city limits.... there is a lot more if you start counting what is outside those city limits....

when there are larger populations of any practicing religion you are going to have more buildings for them to congregate and pray in.... that is regardless of religion.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

I am only saying that one can't simply build anything they want based on a specious claim.
sorry you missed the analogy.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join