It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medieval bras discovered at Austrian castle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Not sure if these are the oldest medieval objects discovered but nevertheless doesn't seem to have changed much. Your thoughts/comments/opinions please
I wasn't sure if the image would be against the T&C of ATS so posted the link.

Fashion experts have been surprised by the discovery of four bras around 600 years old in an Austrian castle.

Linky
edit on 19-7-2012 by hp1229 because: edit content

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Interesting. I don't have a lot to say actually, but it's interesting. I have actually read about this stuff myself in the past, and it amazed me that they said that bras were a relatively new invention. As a woman, I would think that would be a very important thing to utilize, not just for looks but for comfort as well. Maybe this is special because it looks like modern bras. Maybe women used cloth to kind of bind or "prop up" the breasts. *shrugs*

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Yes! I am vindicated!

I said long ago bras were an ancient invention, and I was told they weren't. This isn't exactly ancient, but I'll take it. It proves my point. S&F OP.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
I said long ago bras were an ancient invention, and I was told they weren't. This isn't exactly ancient, but I'll take it. It proves my point. S&F OP.
Wonder if they have any from ancient times at the museum of natural history in NYC as I have seen several different forms and types of apparal from ancient times on display.

Below link has a briefer on the history of it. Certainly it goes way back than medieval times.

Wiki_Link

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
My wife has said repeatedly that they were a medieval torture device.

And the way it leaves her broke out in a heat rash i believe it.

The ladies have it ruff in the heat department with these things.
edit on 19-7-2012 by grayghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I find historical clothing fascinating. I didn't know they wore bras that far back. Good find!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Medieval bra, when I hear that all I can think of is the Princess Leia metal bikini in Star Wars.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Are you sure you weren't thinking that before any mention of bras?
Pretty cool find. I wonder why some cultures in the world don't even cover up their breasts, and yet, others decided not only to cover them up, but to support them with a bra.

I remember in anthro class that during some of the first contacts the Christian missionaries made with tribal cultures they would try to introduce blouses to the women who were bare-breasted. So, one day the women were wearing shirts, right? But the next day they'd come out wearing the shirt with holes cut in them for exposure.

Humans, man. They have different ideas about everything. Fascinating.

edit on 20-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

To me, covering up the body is definitely good from a personal hygiene/ergonomics point of view. It also enhances the mysticism and curiosity about the person covering the body. It maintains the attraction/tension between the male and the female IMHO.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I agree with you entirely. I'm not trying to make a case for women to start walking around with holes in their shirts! I'm sure someone is trying to make a case for that...but It'll never be me. I'm just saying it's interesting how different cultures have different rules about what they do and what's acceptable.

I think many of those tribal cultures I spoke of were in tropical climates with lots of heat and humidity (Like Papua New Guinea is where I heard the story from, I think.) It's probably just the different environment with different conditions to achieve ideal hygiene.

It's still interesting and important to understand why cultures do what they do..even if we don't agree on it

edit on 20-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

See, I don't get this. I have large breasts (no I'm not lying, and no I'm not bragging, they actually annoy me much of the time) and they hurt when I don't have a bra on. The weight of them is too much to just hang there. Sorry for the blunt nature of what I'm saying. The other thing about warm climates and hygiene doesn't make sense to me either. You can get fungal infections where skin touches skin and gets all sweaty. My stepmom had that problem under her breasts, and she's a clean person.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

I was just guessing. I thought in a tropical climate with heat and humidity that it might make sense to have more free-flowing air on our skin. It's also way too darn hot to be wearing layers of clothes. In their cultural development, necessity did not force them to invent layers of clothes like other cultures did.

So, I don't really know the answer..I was just guessing about the climate conditions. The population may also have smaller breasts whose weight is tolerable? There could be several factors involved.

All I'm trying to say is that there is a logical reason and cultural adaptation for everything a culture does (even if it doesn't make sense to the outsider.) Sometimes the reasons are purely symbolic. This is the crux of cultural anthropology as a whole. And cultural anthropologists seek to understand these "logical" and "cultural" reasons.

The people of Medieval Austria obviously had a reason for wearing these modern-looking bras, while other cultures did not. It's still a fascinating archaeological find! Amazing how similar it looks to many modern bras.
edit on 21-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

lol I read that as Brass Bars.....

just one more example that shows we knew a lot more back in the day then we thought we did.

Our intelligence level was the same...we just have more to work with now.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

OK, I realize this is off topic a bit, but I wanted to respond to you. I think you may have a point about the smaller breasts being more the norm maybe, and the weight issue also. You got me thinking about it and I wonder if those cultures are like that, like you said, if I remember correctly, for some symbolic reason. Maybe it has something to do with revering the male and female differences. Kind of honoring a woman and letting her be "all her" so to speak? I know I've seen stuff on TV about "primitive" cultures and the men had no bottoms on, just a belt. So that might be a reason, possibly. You know, letting him be "all him" in the eyes of others. I don't know, but like you I do find it quite interesting to think about.

OK, sorry for the off topic chatter.
edit on 22-7-2012 by Ellie Sagan because: clarification

new topics

top topics

join