It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD Armed Drone Billboard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
This is just crazy. NYPD is putting these billboards up on phone booths around
the city. It shows a drone shooting a missile at a family. I have no idea what the
purpose is.....to fear-monger? A warning? At any rate it hardly seems an
appropriate image to put on a billboard.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

Soon you will have robots that will require you to present id otherwise they will burn you to the ground.

Police state,yes it is. I have a feeling that its not the NYPD that done those posters.
Someone more clever is trying to send a message to the street.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

It has to be from some advocacy group against drone use within the police force. NYPD wouldn't post an ad like that. I'm going to see if I can find out who is behind the campaign. Guess NYPD surveillance didn't help them see this one coming

Maybe the same guy who did this? Fake ‘NYPD’ drone signs hit New York
edit on 19-7-2012 by fenceSitter because: Added possible related article

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
US govt. is against WMD's in other countries. But it seems like they don't mind to use WMD's on their own people. I dont say that 1 drone can do mass destruction but if the whole arsenal combined is used to bomb civilians it is a form of WMD. I can not think other then that the billboard is a warning for what is coming in the US since they declared all US citizens as possible terrorists.

edit on 19-7-2012 by Slave NO MORE because: updated Youtube link

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Maybe the same guy who did this? Fake ‘NYPD’ drone signs hit New York
reply to post by fenceSitter

You might be right about that. It's just soooo inappropriate for a police department to post
a billboard like this. Makes more sense that it was put up there by activists...in which
case it is highly appropriate.

edit on 19-7-2012 by orbitbaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Fake ‘NYPD’ drone signs hit New York

It's too little too late I think.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It looks like a political statement made by somebody else other that the NYPD. Besides armed drones would be useless in NY with all the congestion and high population density. Every strike would take out 40 innocent people.

Now unmanned drones with sophisticated surveillance equip you can bet every police force in the nation is trying to save up enough in their budget to buy one. It's the new craze like when the bomb robots first came out, every police force in the country wanted one of those regardless if the area they police was unlikely to ever get a bomb threat.

Eventually though we will see things like ED209 from robocop walking the streets. At first they will be remote operated drones but the cities will run out of money to operate them that way, just like most of the traffic cameras they installed but then found they couldn't fund to operate. So the next step is they will just purchase some automated software from the lowest bidder because they ca't pay real people to operate these things and the software will be junk and start to "malfunction" ie shoot innocent people, over react, etc...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
What's crazy about the sign is the family fleeing at the bottom is lifted from signs along the freeways in southern california near the border of mexico alerting drivers to be wary of illegal immigrant families scurrying across the freeway attempting to get to safety inside the US border.

Now what sort of statement is the billboard trying to make?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
American couch potato sheeple are fools. They have let the police and military get so powerful it literally WILL take an alien invasion or an asteroid strike, or MAYBE a nuclear war to stop them. This police state has been brought on by the sheer indifference and complacency of the American people. The minute the first police department anywhere in this country made the moves it did towards military weapons, there should have been blood in the streets.

And just in case, they WILL end up taking all guns, sooner or later. We reached the point a LONG time ago where the blood of patriots could possibly mean ANYTHING to these tyrants, or make any difference whatsoever. There is no such thing as the balance of power the Declaration and Constitution sought to give its citizens freedom from tyranny.

It's game over people. The only thing left now is how many you can take with you. Plan well, and plan silent. And see you in hell.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Just in case anyone was still wondering about this, but I found a bigger picture of it and I am pretty sure it is some fake ad against drones. The wording in the bottom right says "Protection when you least expect it" haha. I am pretty sure that isn't an NYPD motto.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Here's an article where they interview the guy responsible.

Meet the Street Artist Who’s Wanted by the NYPD for Punking the Police with Fake Drone Ads

His name is 'Essam' and he's a 29-year-old art school grad from Maine, who served in Iraq as a "geo-spatial analyst", and has put up posters like the one above all over New York. It shows drones being used to police regular people in an Orwellian world... with the NYPD logo plastered all over it, as if to endorse it. The NYPD wants him arrested, he wants to let people know the scariness of drones.

Animal New York scored an exclusive interview with the street artist who readily admits that he's not really a part of the street art scene and it's interesting to hear him describe his work. In his talks with Animal:

He agrees that there is an inherent irony in his spoofs: the very fact that the NYPD (which claims to be strongly pursuing him with their "counter terrorism squad") hasn't caught him yet, is proof that we have not reached a state of Orwellian control. "But we're going in that direction and no one's talking about it," he says. "And I think that's pretty scary."

Gizmodo

They say the police has their "anti-terrorism" squad looking for him.

I guess warning the people about your government is now considered "terrorism", at least in New York.

Say "bye bye" to free speech Amerika.

top topics

join