It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shell Oil's Social Media Nightmare Continues, Thanks To Skilled Pranksters Behind @ShellisPrepared

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Hi,
I just stumbled upon a fake shell website made by the Yes Men and Greenpeace.
It's about Shell's current plan to drill in the arctic.
And I really appreciate the effort to raise awareness for this topic

The page seems to go viral at the moment.

www.arcticready.com...

For this page, they made an ad generator, where users can create their own shell ads.
Here some results of it:

The complete gallery and the ad generator

Additionally, they created a fake Twitter Account to spread these ads:
twitter.com...

News coverage for further information:
www.forbes.com...

if you like it - spread it

edit on 19.7.2012 by grobi77 because: typo

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Greenpeace article about this campaign with some more background infos:
www.greenpeace.org...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by grobi77

That one's pure genius -great thread.

Regarding the Arctic, has anyone mentioned the Federal dumping of radioactive waste yet?

A Tundra of Sickness

This Guardian article from 1992 states the Russians were also thinking about doing it.

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by grobi77

My favourite one:

The Yes Men do it again with another brilliant tell-it-like-it-is "spoof". Reminds me of their 'Coal Cares' campaign - where they offered to give out free inhalers to kids living within a 200 mile radius of a coal plant. They pledged to make asthma cool by dressing up the inhalers with pictures of Justin Bieber and My Little Pony:

coalcares.org/freeinhalers.html

Some other top notch parodies -

Clean Coal:

And this one from The Onion was so good...

I had to start my own thread about it.

Now if only this was just art and not art imitating real life.

edit on 20-7-2012 by mc_squared because: i...missed a spot.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Star and Flag !

Shell has done a few things that made some very bad PR themselves such as State
sanctioned hit jobs on environmental activists in Africa.

Ken Saro Wiwa - Shell ordered killing

The "Yes men fix the world" is an EPIC movie, and I think everyone should watch it.

When they drew attention to Bhopal I thought that was one of there best.

edit on 20-7-2012 by Ex_MislTech because: content

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
Regarding the Arctic, has anyone mentioned the Federal dumping of radioactive waste yet?

A Tundra of Sickness

Saved....Thanks for that

Originally posted by mc_squared
The Yes Men do it again with another brilliant tell-it-like-it-is "spoof". Reminds me of their 'Coal Cares' campaign - where they offered to give out free inhalers to kids living within a 200 mile radius of a coal plant. They pledged to make asthma cool by dressing up the inhalers with pictures of Justin Bieber and My Little Pony:

coalcares.org/freeinhalers.html

Great, I really like the Yes Men...especially their take on free markets and milton friedman in the beginning of their movie "The Yes Men Fix the World".
I thought I know all their stuff...but I never saw the Coal Cares campaign.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Shell cannot start drilling yet, the ice is too thick at the moment, I am presuming a rather late summer in the Arctic, so much for global warming/climate change, for more information, visit climate depot, sorry, cannot do links.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Almost 900 posts and dont know how to post links

In your reply window is a button "Link" on the top.
After clicking, a small windows pops up asking for description of the link (this is optional).
After that, you only have to paste your link in the text field ("http://" is already written in there) and press OK.

But I guess, you referring to this:
climatedepot.com...

The original source for the story is here (afaik):
www.upstreamonline.com...

Heavier than expected ice in Arctic waters off Alaska will likely delay until August Shell's long-anticipated exploration drilling in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas, a company spokesman said on Friday.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
climatedepot.org is about as untrustworthy of a source as you can find on the tainted interwebs.

It is run by Marc Morano - a notorious industry shill, and it is a project of CFACT - a "free-market policy organization" focused on environmental issues, who happen to have received hundreds of thousands in funding from ExxonMobil.

See this ATS post for more info and links on CFACT, Marc Morano and climatedepot.org

The blurb about the Arctic Sea ice is also clearly cherry-picked to disinform gullible "skeptics" to suit the best interests of CFACT's political agenda. On the whole Arctic Sea has been dropping dramatically for decades now, but especially in the last few years:

And currently the ice extent is still on pace to break the 2007 record for lowest ever:

Climate Depot is a total Big Oil/Free Market shill website - exactly the sort of thing the Yes Men have dedicated themselves to exposing.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

thank you for your insight.
but the source of the story is a different page.
upstreamonline.com is from the NHST Group, which seems to be same sh#t.
www.nhst.no...

And they promote jobs in the oil- and gas industry:
www.upstreamonlinecareers.com...

But that Shell had to delay it's arctic drilling to august can also be found on more reliable sources:
phys.org...

The heaviest polar ice in more than a decade could postpone the start of offshore oil drilling in the Arctic Ocean until the beginning of August, a delay of up to two weeks, Shell Alaska officials said.

new topics

top topics

join