It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment and Immigration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
So, I read an article on a Swedish newspaper's website today about Europeans (Spaniards, Greeks, Polish, etc.) who travel to Sweden to spend their ninety days (The allowed period without getting a visa, by European Union rules) trying to find a job here. An organization called Crossroads will offer them a shower, rest, and a lot of other kinds of help, in their effort to find a job in Sweden, this with the nod of approval from the Swedish government and Political Correctness society that has corrupted our civilization.

I posted this link on my Facebook, and got a comment from my cousin, currently living in the Netherlands. She wants nothing more than to move back to Sweden - but she's been trying to find a job for half a year now without success.

So, my question is this. When did we abandon reason for madness?

Why in the hell would we ever let people immigrate to our country when we don't even have enough work for our own citizens?!

Seriously. No, seriously. It isn't racism. It isn't xenopobia. It's common *self-censoring* sense!

First we make sure ALL swedes have jobs in their own damn country!

THEN, we can start letting immigrants in to look for work here if they can't find it in their own country. Our own bloody citizens should always come first when it comes to work. In fact I probably wouldn't be opposed to a law that required an employer to hire a Swedish citizen before an immigrant. Harsh, but fair.

Disclaimer: There is one exception to this rule. Some might call me a bit of a hypocrite because of this, because I am currently in that same situation myself. In my opinion, people excluded from the rule are people who are in love with/married to Swedish citizens. Politics of employment should not be made to create Romeo & Juliet scenarios.

Edit to add: This, of course, doesn't just apply to Sweden. It applies to all countries in the world.
edit on 19-7-2012 by Gauss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

Have to agree with not allowing immigrants in when there is nothing in the country.
The funny thing is, companies love cheap labour. I'm sure they benefit from this the most.

People usually move out because off push factors. (factors that make people move out). For e.g. Unemployment is high, poor healthcare and education system...excreta...excreta.
It looks like Sweden has the pull factors. (factors that make people move in) For e.g. Low unemployment, good healthcare and so on.

But although I'm a Immigrant myself, I'm sure many others are also. I support the idea of closing borders to the ones that have a lower knowledge of the language, and the basics (Speaking, listening, reading and writing).

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hellzdoms

You're right, dude. Companies, whether Swedish (as has been proven, unfortunately), or American, love cheap labour, and they also follow the combat-proven theory of, "If cheap labour can't come to you, you must come to cheap labour", as is seen with more and more companies moving their productions to countries like China and Thailand. This in itself is bad to me, but we can't exactly formulate laws forbidding our companies from hosting production abroad, either, so there's not much we can do about that part.

But we can formulate laws forcing the companies to employ citizens before foreigners in their production factories in our home countries. And again, I wouldn't be opposed to that, because frankly, it pisses me and everybody else who is unemployed, off, seeing our governments opening the borders for foreigners to come here and work, when we can't even find work for our own citizens.

I also agree with you on being able to speak the language when you want to work in a country. I don't know if it is currently a requirement in Sweden as the idea has been tossed around for quite some time - but I'm under the understanding that every time somebody dares suggest a test for people who want to work here, words like "racism" and "discrimination" start to be tossed around by politically correct, very much employed and well-off, asshats.

It's funny that you should mention the "Pull" factors, because Sweden, to me, is a very good country to live in (even though I'm planning to move to the US). We've got free healthcare, we've got social welfare programs for those who are unemployed, we've got free education even so far up as to university degree, we've got a pretty decent economy - but, we have problems with unemployment for young people.

Mostly, this is in my opinion because of various factors, not excluding cheap labour being imported. Regardless of that being or not being one of the factors that have caused the high unemployment rate in young people in Sweden, however, the fact remains we do have a lot of unemployed young people. Which is why it makes no sense whatsoever - except for for corrupt politicians who make money off companies employing cheap, foreign labour, of course - to "import" foreigners to work here.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to move to Sweden, but there is something wrong with politicians wanting people to move to Sweden to work here, when even our own young can't find work.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more. No foreigner should have a job before a citizen, no matter what country. I also agree about learning the language of the country. Here in America we actually have places where we are required to speak spanish in order to get a job. I would never move to another country and expect them to speak 'my' language for any reason.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Nice to hear from you, Night. I'm glad you agree with me on this. It's a very frustrating issue, not just in my country, but in the US as well. Ironically, though, I've been offered two jobs since I got here, though unfortunately I cannot take them as I have no work permit.

Hopefully, though, and I think this is the case, the world is moving out of the recession, which I think will result in less unemployment too, no thanks to politicians. I just hope somebody in power grows some brains and rethinks the current policies on employment-related immigration.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

Look, the thing is this.
WE DO NOT LIVE IN A DEMOCRATIC WORLD ANYMORE

We are made to feel that we are by the every day votes that we have.. That is all bulls**t to be honest with you.
We cannot debate about things because the media considers you as a racist, as you mentioned.
I never got the idea that being patriotic about your country could be racist. I mean alright, extremism is sometimes out of hand like during 1930/1940’s. Yeah that’s considered racism.

But if you are patriotic in a way that you do not really favour cheap labour coming in, and would much more prefer a person that lives in the country to have a job. I do not think that is racist. That is caring for your own damn freaking country.

Most of the politicians are bought out by companies 80/20 (Pareto principle)
Those who are not are mainly silenced.

new topics

top topics

join