Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Immortality Only 20 Years Away Says Scientist

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
We're getting close to immortality. Growing replacement organs with our own personal cells and reversing ageing. It makes me wonder if this is why TPTB are accelerating their depopulation efforts?
So, do you want to live forever?

Scientist Ray Kurzweil claims humans could become immortal in as little as 20 years' time through nanotechnology and an increased understanding of how the body works.

Mr Kurzweil said: "I and many other scientists now believe that in around 20 years we will have the means to reprogramme our bodies' stone-age software so we can halt, then reverse, ageing. Then nanotechnology will let us live for ever.

"Within 25 years we will be able to do an Olympic sprint for 15 minutes without taking a breath, or go scuba-diving for four hours without oxygen.

"Heart-attack victims – who haven't taken advantage of widely available bionic hearts – will calmly drive to the doctors for a minor operation as their blood bots keep them alive.
~ Source Article HERE

Harvard Scientists Reverse Ageing in Mice;

Harvard scientists were surprised that they saw a dramatic reversal, not just a slowing down, of the ageing in mice. Now they believe they might be able to regenerate human organs!

"What we saw in these animals was not a slowing down or stabilisation of the ageing process. We saw a dramatic reversal – and that was unexpected," said Ronald DePinho, who led the study, which was published in the journal Nature.

"This could lead to strategies that enhance the regenerative potential of organs as individuals age and so increase their quality of life. Whether it serves to increase longevity is a question we are not yet in a position to answer."
~ Source Article HERE

So de-populate the Earth over the next 20yrs. and those left over can live FOREVER! Muhahaha!
It sounds like some evil plot in a movie but it's becoming reality right before our eyes.
edit on 7/19/12 by Evildead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Evildead

So, do you want to live forever?

Not if I end up looking like your avatar.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I've been saying this for a while now... I put it at 35 years until we actually see much of these developing technologies to be applicable.

I would love to live forever, well... at least, as long as I could choose to. But, with the rates things are going, and new abilities found every day, I'll probably be even able to control my ability of contemplating the wanting to live or not.

Think about... one day, there is the possibility of the complete removal of unwanted feelings... coupled with the ability to live forever. Sure, you'll have to avoid some super novas and black holes... maybe that's where the fun would come in.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I've always asked myself this question:

"Why would a (relatively) small group of people want to control all the money and power in the world? They are going to die eventually and when you're that selfish and egotistical, passing on your good fortunes in your will is probably not a very reassuring thought."

The only answer I could ever come up with for my self is this:

"They are on the brink of 'curing' death and have known for some time that this evolutionary milestone will be reached within their lifetimes. They are doing everything they can do be in absolute control of this technology when it is achieved. They will never have to worry about losing their absolute power."

Now with nanotechnology (not to mention Dick Cheney's lack of a beating heart) at the forefront of modern science, I see no reason to doubt my assumptions

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
yeah sounds great huh....

Well count me out. I will opt for true ascension. I know better.

That's like staying in fourth grade for ever because you are the biggest kid in class and know the material.

Screw corporeal existence eternally. That is just retarded.

Yeah make life better for the sick, ok. Don't go making outlandish promises though just to get people on board for all things GMO and cybernetic.

They make it seem like a new Disney movie is coming out.
Can you imagine people going insane after 120 years then being here forever. Maybe a few hundred, but forever.....with all the crazies we don't hear about because they die, I can see them being the apocalyptic suicide bombers of the future when they just can't take it anymore.

Do what you want, you are selling yourselves short. Flesh is like a school yard for the spirit. They want to never come in from recess.....
I will be in the classroom learning and becoming more. They will be playing tag for eternity until the physical environment changes slightly and they all die anyways.....soulless. Those of us with an uninterrupted birth cycle of natural humans will seed the earth....AGAIN. this has all happened before. I know where it leads....so I am not jealous of a thing.

Good luck with that.....lol.
edit on 19-7-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I don't know if that 20 year timeframe is accurate, but I do believe artificial longevity is in our future (if we don't blow ourselves up first). I believe my sons, who are toddlers now, will live to be at least 100 years or more, easily.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I look forward to an eternity with all those who can stand it.

i used to say live and let live, now i live and let die.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Here's a thought... If we're THIS close to immortality, then any visiting intelligent alien species has most likely mastered immortality themselves. So there's a chance we're being watched and visited by one or more immortal beings. That's kinda wild when you think about it.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Well, if some conspiracies are to be believed, the elite are way closer to it that that!

What was that serum made of lilacs??
Apparently a group/secret society of *good* guys actually bought their own island to conduct research into the longivity effects of the lilac plant?

I cor remember the details now, I'm sure there was a nice thread about it somewhere?

Oh, and don't forget that new nifty oxygen thingy they can do now, no air for 30 mins and u can still live!
And robotoid, cloness and cyborgs

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Evildead

I'm still torn on the issue.

You're only immortal until someone or something kills you then you were just really really long lived.
Basically we can get rid of natural deaths but not freak accidents or even some plague level events if you can't get help in time.

All that aside, sure I wouldn't mind living forever if I had something to do.
I'm a scientist I have to learn and experiment.
Aside from that I have hobbies as well, whittling motorcycle riding(once I'm healed).
As long as there are new books to read and new adventures to have I'm game.
Living forever doing the same thing or just for the sake of living forever holds no value to me though.

I am interested in possible limb replacement that such research would lead to though.
I am partially paralyzed below my left knee and have nerve damage throughout that leg and in other places.

I would sign up for a limb replacement in a heart beat even if it were just a clinical trial.
Not being able to be fully active when you are an adrenalin junkie is horrible.

As for the technology we actually are quite close to cloning organs and limbs.
We even found a way to fix that whole the cloned tissue ages faster than the cells the tissue was cultured from.
It's all in the tellomers, and we can synthesize tellomerace.

Any replacement bodies would either have to rejuvenate the brain, or find a way to copy and transfer that data perfectly though before true longevity is achieved.
We've fixed the cell aging process and are close to cloning bodies.
We just need to fix the brain issue and we are golden.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I have a feeling that before we are able to become "immortal" something big would have to happen. Its an unnatural thing. Dieing is a part of the circle of life, and you cant cheat death.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oracle202
I have a feeling that before we are able to become "immortal" something big would have to happen. Its an unnatural thing. Dieing is a part of the circle of life, and you cant cheat death.

Something big? You mean like thousands of years of medical advancements coming to a head? Sounds about right to me.

And to say "you can't cheat death" seems pretty shortsighted, like telling the Wright brother they'll never fly. Or telling Neil Armstrong he'll never walk on the moon - or at least bounce around in front of cameras in a studio

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I am not really looking for eternal human life, but I could see meaning in living more than a normal human life, say 5,000 years or so.

There are some things you only get to experience with perspective... imagine having all the wisdom you will have at 70, but having more life ahead of you than you had at 5... you would be able to accomplish things that you would never have attempted otherwise, because you did not have the foresight to start working at them as a toddler, or that you were wary of devoting what would have otherwise been your entire life to.

Imagine what sublime things Beethoven or Debussy may have written if they had centuries to hone their craft, and had the perspective of ages, and the opportunity to watch music develop outside of their smaller spheres. There are some arts that living centuries would vastly improve, and as a musician, I am looking forward to the music I will only be prepared to make after countless years of experience, and with a perfect young body, and vocal cords reaching to 4 octaves, haha.

I consider myself a fairly content and happy person... I enjoy living and have days filled with warmth; I think a lot of that owes to the sorts of truths and useful philosophies I have picked up over my time that have allowed me to temper my mind in useful ways; I have a feeling that most people all generally tend to learn these things over the course of their lives, at different rates. Once most people are past 100, they will probably all have had a chance to experience those mental stillness-generating thoughtforms, and thus I have a feeling that rather than become bored, people with much longer, youthful lives would in one breath be exceptionally content, and in the next be excited over the possibilities of all they might do, experience, and create.

A lot of that is self-projection of course, but I meaning in it to reasonable levels.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Pigraphia

You're only immortal until someone or something kills you then you were just really really long lived. Basically we can get rid of natural deaths but not freak accidents or even some plague level events if you can't get help in time.

Yes to an extent but from what they are saying a lot of freak accidents will be savable also. Maybe baring decapitation or something like that.

Perhaps you will carry a syringe around with you that is full of nano bots, say you get shot in the chest or something you can inject yourself or someone can inject you and get you all patched up? lol

The other issue here would be the population. I do not buy the over population fear mongering at the moment but if this tech became cheap enough (of course at first the average joe will never see this due to the expense) and no-one died we would very quickly become over-populated.

Now say someone did have a freak accident and were not repairable then maybe his/her space will be auctioned off or maybe there would be a lottery to decide who could have the child... But who would control all this and how would you police it world wide?

It would open up a whole can of worms! In my opinion we will never see this tech released on a mass scale, it will only be for the rich. Like most other things really. Space travel etc...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Sign me up! I'll have a boosterspice, sadly though I doubt normal people will be able to afford it. We will end up with a two tier society, the 'immortals' and then everyone else.

Remember..... There Can Be Only One!
edit on 19/7/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Hmmm.. kinda cool..but kinda not too.

Yes,we could live forever and eventually have our own private, individual spaceships and travel the stars as much as we please... Maybe even spread our seed out there, colonize other planets etc..

But what about any possible future moments of that thing called evolution? What if we are meant to evolve into some form of higher being?

There you are, 5,000 years old..colonized several planets from your offspring (but they don't have what you got) and 5,000 years later you return to a planet only to discover your kids have evolved into something you could never have dreamed of but knocks the socks off anything we ever were before..

Being stuck in a 10,000 year old body which is packed with a 'lifetime' of knowledge and experience might be cool.. but we have so many different other things to think about.. like re-incarnation ...

We may find the ability to read our ancient lives and unlock our past.. what could the future you become?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Just think, that guy that you really really hate at work, could live forever

All seriousness though, immortality with population is begging for regulation (unless they teraform mars, which i can't see happening for a couple more centeries), this means that the state will be the ones how has the power to choose who lives and dies.

Also, isn't death and new life a major part of life? You may live forever, but what is life without a family?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Imagine that - nobody dying through old age/illness. The world population would grow massively and surely the earth's resources would be stretched to breaking point????!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I hate to break it to you, but evolution happens because of random mutations which accidentally end up beneficial to a species' survival. Most mutations are harmful, and the specimens exhibiting them die. But when a mutation is helpful, the specimen will live normally, pass that gene on, and eventually there is an entire population of the species which exhibits the mutation. Voila, the species has evolved.

Evolution doesn't magically happen overnight where a group of creatures suddenly develop the ability to read minds or become spiritual beings. So disregarding the technology to extend our human lives, based on the idea that we may bypass a stage in our evolution, is backward. Humans may never again experience natural selection. We are still evolving, but it's a dreadfully slow process and with ourselves at the top of all foodchains on the planet, we aren't going to be developing super powers. In a way, this technology would be "evolution", just non-biological.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Well, responding to a few posts above about limb regeneration, nerve damage, and other accidents;
Kurzweil states in the 1st article that eventually our blood would be completely replaced by nanobots that could work more efficiently than our own blood cells.

So say you get shot in the heart, the nanobots immediately jump into action repairing you from the inside outwards, even pushing the foreign object (bullet) out of your body before healing your skin as if you'd never been shot. And all that repair is done by the nanobots within seconds or minutes of being shot.

Same goes for nerve damage and limb regeneration.

Kurzweil calls them blood bots. Of coarse I can't imagine our bodies being completely drained of blood and refilled with blood bots... Maybe a 50/50 mix?

With our accelerating medical and technical knowledge we could very well be "almost immortal" by 2033.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join