A lot of people confuse the term "End of the World" with "Destruction of Planet Earth or something grossly similar"...which is downright
silly...but perhaps this thinking is in the mindset of people's subconscious because the word "Doomsday" or the movie 2012 or any other disaster
flick / book (Left Behind?) / etc - that is swirling around in an individual or collective subconscious.
Look it up on Merriam-Webster...many definitions, but look at the etymology. WORLD = human existence. It DOES NOT mean planet or anything geographical
per se. Just human existence. And this is different for everyone, because while we can have shared experiences / cultures and different "group
memberships" (Especially in the age of virtual groups) ultimately, the "World" for each one of us is different.
In a broader definition, yes there is a global world culture that has endured for thousands of years...and this is ending too,...but from my
perspective, in a way that pretty much (99%+) no one expects, but that is another story.
So anyway...got that out of the way...so maybe it would be interesting to hear people's lists of what or whose "world" has already ended -- in a
significant way -- (And a new "reality / world" created in the last few years)
Here's some from my list:
1) Citizens of many North African / Middle Eastern nations -- Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, Bahrain (In progress), and now Syria. Due to (violent) collapse
of ruling party, and other frequent protests/demonstration.
2) College graduates / Youth in Europe / USA - who believed in a world of opportunity, but are finding out degree or not, jobs aren't so easy to come
by, never mind their chosen field of study -- more true in some nations than others -- like 50% youth unemployment (Under 25) in Spain.
3) Greece citizens ...and various groups of citizens from select EU nations. PIIGS.
4) People having to work longer -- their dreams of retirement shattered...due to financial conditions, home equity wiped out, etc...(sense of
financial security and increasing wealth)
5) "Fantasy" pensions / salaries (Of overpaid firefighters, police officers / public (safety) employees, etc..) in various bankrupt or near bankrupt
US cities (San Bernardino, Stockton, soon to be Compton,California, Harrisburg, PA, etc...)
This article is July 14, 2012 --- Scranton, PA
"The city coffers are virtually empty and its debts are huge. Last week the pay packets of all its municipal workers – including firemen, police
and the mayor – were slashed to the minimum wage of $7.25 (£4.70) an hour."
6) Iranian citizens - various economic sanctions wreaking havoc on everyday life...
7) Japan Tsunami victims and those living near Fukushima, and various other large disaster victims....
8) RIM and Nokia employees being laid off due to runaway Apple iPhone / iPad success (Hah!) Say -- why is Apple #1 in market cap at the end of 2012?
;-) ....mythology anyone?
9) Future generations (Due to massive money printing) -- let me not hear people saying "It's for the / our children" any longer.....liars! NEver
mind environmental destruction...
that's what comes to mind for the moment...what say you?