It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Foot Tall Wall of Water in Kentucky! Historic Flood!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Whats up with this crazy weather lately?

Such crazy unheard records are broken…

It never was this bad before!!

Did you hear about the Frozen Flood?

A Cloud Burst that created a 20 foot tidal wave that resulted in the tragic loss of many lives and properties in South Eastern Kentucky during the morning hours of July 5th…

Was it…..

The end of the world (2012)?
or HAARP?
or Global warming?!
The New Age of Extreme Weather?

Guess again… It happened in 1939…

At 3:30 a.m. on July 5, 1939, a cloudburst on Frozen Creek in Breathitt County, Kentucky, caused a 20-foot wall of water to sweep down the narrow valley through Wilhurst and Vancleve. The flood erased everything in its path. Forty-four houses, 60 barns, outbuildings, and livestock all became part of the muddy torrent. In a matter of minutes 54 men, women, and children were dead.

Source

I live in the area known as Frozen Creek… I grew up with the stories of this tragedy all around me…

I’ve often sat here and thought about making a thread about this… well tonight is the night…

According to the articles I have presented there were around 53-58 deaths...

But according to stories and first hand survivor accounts the death toll was far much worse in Breathitt County the area Frozen Creek is Located.

Many people did not report deaths to the authorities...

Most people in this area dealt with things on their own and did not seek outside help.
Thus resulting in not so well record keeping...

I remember a story from my late neighbor who was a boy when this happened...

His house was located on a hill well above the tidal wave that swept everything in its path away...
But it rained so far it beat the roof of their home off... rain so hard it destroyed a roof... not wind... not a tornado... but rain... He said it sounded like jack hammers on the roof...
Thats a LOT of rain!

Several miles from me is a big rock... its a big rock... trust me...

See for your self...

Its hard to really tell the scale from just a picture... but ya know electric poles are pretty tall and that rock is almost as tall as one as you can tell...

Well the water was just about over that rock... people survived by swimming/being throw on top of it...

One location which is just a few short miles from my home 53 people drown...

It was a school where residents (children and staff) lived...
The death count of the school was never factored into any accounts presented to the public...
Why? I dont know? Conspiracy?

The tale of their death is most tragic...

On the night of July 4th A Severe Thunderstorm rolled into the region and on the 5th prompted a Tornado Warning...
The Schools standard procedure was to head under ground to a cellar...
Which was great... for Tornados... Only A Tornado did not happen... Instead... A cloud burst that instantly bombarded the area with torrential rain... flooding the region in mere minutes... Causing water to rush into the storm cellar...
The residents of the school had no way of escaping. and they drown... Best I remember it was 5 teachers/staff and the rest children...

It would have been more but... most of the staff and students were away on summer leave...

I visited this site many many times. It was haunting to see... abandoned and in ruin... a tragic place to be...
Sadly it was tore down a few years back... with no tribute or monument to the lives lost stands on the spot...

So let this Thread be in honor of all the lives lost that night...

The 20 foot tidal wave of water washed away barns and houses...
EVERYTHING! As it went on 20 mile course of destruction!
Below is an account of a house stopped from being washed away by a bridge

House Stopped By Bridge
From the wide space on the road which marked the location of the big general store operated at Wilhurst by Walter Rose, whose wife and daughter vanished in the swirling, muddy flood, we trapped to Van Cleve where against the remains of a concrete bridge rested what was left of the eleven-room house of the A. L. Hatton family. Mrs. Hatton and her three children escaped when the house jarred to an abrupt stop against the bridge-work and permitted the occupants to swim and scrambled to safety on nearby high ground. They climbed out a window in a third-story room.

Source

Old Photos Taken the Days After

The Louisville Courier-Journal, the state's largest newspaper, ran this story and several others in the days just after the Frozen Flood of July 4-5, 1939.

Another Article

Sadly not many photos or articles describing the events of this Flood exist...

and to really know the story you would had to live here...

And even now with the new generations this event is being forgotten...

But at least you now know this did happen and extreme weather is not new...

I have walked in this creek... in places its deep like any other creek... but mostly its not even a foot deep on average...
You could lay it in and not drown... I have...

when I look at it... its hard to imagine something so "small" could become some EPIC... so deadly... so unheard of... Makes me respect the rains when they come...

I hope you learned something... and I am greatly pleased to share with you a story or two from my home.

-Evol Eric

edit on 7/18/12 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Doesn't seem out of the ordinary... When we get a bad hurricane or a typhoon, things will be weird... Seems fine now tho

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Well, it was the end of the world for a few people. Things like this do happen though and the disasters around our country are increasing. Either we aren't hearing about them elsewhere or they have been more intense here than other parts of the world. Other countries are having their own sorts of problems though, lots of civil unrest.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Ya know to be honest

I think its always been bad... we have periods were the weather is/was mild acting...

and BAM we have these big horrific events...

then it gets mild again and people forget about the horrific events and when it starts building up and getting bad again we just thinks its the worst it ever was

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Well, when the sun ramps up in a maximum mode it adds energy to the environment. Much of the energy is absorbed by the atmosphere but a little gets in. This increase naturally makes more violent weather. If the atmosphere doesn't have as much power to reflect or disperse this energy it just makes it worse. The Solar Max is going to be over before next summer so we will have about seven years to get our house in order before it starts ramping up again. Hopefully mankind will start doing something, these disasters could bankrupt a country and make insurance costs skyrocket or insurances could become nonavailable. This means people won't be able to borrow money on their homes because the banks require insurance. This would collapse the housing industry and the economies of the world. We need to address global warming soon to prepare for the next solar max. It's too late to do anything other than adjust the properties of the atmosphere with nanometals for this solar cycle. That's only an expensive temporary patch.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
My question would be about that big rock and how it got there in the first place, because it doesn't look like it's a part of the normal geology.

Could it be that a long-ago Frozen Creek flood brought it there?

It'd have to be more than a 20-foot wall of water.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Im beginning to think this wicked weather were having is actually more common than we think, and maybe we have just been in an unusual mild streak for a long long time. Its almost as if mild weather isnt as common as extream weather.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Its kinda odd isnt it?

If you go by the photo.... as it was taking while driving...
keep driving about 6 miles and you will across another rock thats 95% identical... on the same side of the road even...

I guess I never thought about water putting them there...

They stand out cos there isnt any others like them...

Ya know also I think the flood happens here every so often...

Cos there is no Native American traces in this area... if you travel 30 miles away they roamed all round these parts... but no traces of them exist on Frozen...

I always contributed that to them knowing this place wasnt worth the risk of "biblical floods"

top topics

join