It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

72 Hour Fast: Need of advice for Maximum Spiritual benefit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Hello all,

In less than an hour, my 72 hour fast begins. I am fasting for distinct mental and spiritual introspection so as to truly meet self. Along the way, I seek to deal with and handle some of the "non-issues" that I have built up as"issues" in my subconscious mind. I'm looking to exit this fast with the greatest benefit for myself possible.

I plan on meditating a lot during this fast, hours a day as I contemplate "nothing" "body" "life" "experience" "perspective" "Godmind" "perception" and "experience"

I shall be participating in Vipassana Mediation, Zen Meditation, Visualization Meditation, Reflective Meditation, and Tibetan Chant Based Meditation
(see video)

I seek to solve a few issues with the Ego so that I know how to properly subvert the Ego. I seek to make contact with the Truer Self.

A little history: I've done a 41 hour fast before, about a month ago. It went well, but a lot of it involved me lying on the floor contemplating hunger.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice to help the process along, then I would be grateful.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
No advice. But i do wish you the best of luck on your journey.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by chadderson

Thank You!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
wow your timing is deep....muslims start their fast tommorow as well.....a whole month....

if you can "choose" to deny yourself food....then there is nothing you cant do......

peace

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
If you didn't, for a future fast it would probably be good if a raw food diet or "juice fast" was done beforehand for a number of days. Hate to say this, but if the diet was just "whatever" then go straight to water, I think its pretty safe to say the clarity of the experience will be lessened on the fast since the typical body will be having probably a "WTFBBQ" fest. If you did, for others then.

Hmm, hate to say this as well, but 3 days is nothing and is a bad idea really. By probably around day 2-3 most people will have shifted their metabolism and start feeling more comfortable - which is the real fast. A day or day and a half juice fast after would probably be a good idea for others. Juice fasts, obviously depending on the amount, are really easy (if you're doing a water fast prior, yes they are very easy in comparison) and have good effects on the body and can give different experiences than that of water fasts.

Don't meditate for "hours", idk, seems weird and forced. Almost like an ego trying to take overtake something?
Of course meditating doesn't always mean lotus position but that's the general connotation
If you're going to fast to have the experience of fasting, uh, have it. And seriously, day 1 of a fast isn't a fast. Most people think a little tummy gurgle is hunger, not a chance.

Just call it a 2 day fast and save yourself some respect

Perhaps something to consider as well, if not for you, then for others. And no it doesn't matter what people reading this "are", this is a very good truth.

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

It's sort of funny, because if you forget this or don't do it, it's like on some level your ideas for your fast, especially length, will fail. Could just be that the incongruity between the depth and taxation of the fast and the superficiality and taxation brought to you in whatever form by people is enough to overpower and break a fast, in some respects.

And yes, I might just be Caesar.

edit on 7/18/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Sure, take 2 bacon pizzas and call me in the morning…..

This will give you all the spiritual enlightenment you need - forever!

Mickierocksman

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

although all your plans seem nearly too hectic to me, I shall add to your list some ideas:
walking through peaceful environments like gardens or forests
kind behaviour toward your family, friends and strangers
have a specific interest to pursue , e.g. the goddess usha, who initiates different awakening stages of divine consciousness in all of us

also prepare how you will reintroduce normal food intake again. what will you eat, how much, when you will do that. restart slowly!

if you are fairly toxic, the fast will deplete you with a hefty healing process. if you are fairly clean, you will benefit with huge amounts of energy and heightened awareness

love

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
keep us updated, this is interesting. Btw, what timezone are you in?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Some of what your saying is okay, but you got the wrong approach. When you fast you do it like this. You meditate on God, not yourself. Fasting without being willing to allow God to talk to you is the most stupid thing I've ever heard of. Even if you don't believe in God, you fast and just think like "God if you're out there show me and come into my life". Like honestly I see no point otherwise.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I watch this exact video a lot, play it on my bose when i'm going to sleep sometimes too. Good luck brother! I'm going on a spiritual journey myself right now, and for the rest of my life, it never stops

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

Ah, yes, I do understand what you mean. I should ease into this a little more delicately. It's true, fruit juices thing would have been optimal, but I'm at a bit of a time constrain with where I was able to fit this particular session in. Rushing things is never proper. You are 100% correct. With the whole meditation thing...I always do something like this roughly every day, but in simple thirty minute intervals. Last fast gave me good results, my BP dropped into the 110's/60's and my heart rate maintained in the 60's and 50's whilst a calm overtook me. I just want to utilize this calm the best I can this time around.
Also, no one is going to be watching me do this other than my Mother and my Father. I told a few friends that I am starting, and I will alert them when I'm done. So, I'm definitely not attempting to go for a spiritual attention seeking.

reply to post by lucia2389

This is going to be interesting indeed. Like I stated just above...I am...rushing things. It's not a great thing that I lifted yesterday. My body is in "repair mode" and this will be quite taxing. As for how I will reintroduce foods, I'm definitely going the route of fruit and dark green veggies for the first few hours (not overdoing it of course).

reply to post by thedoctorswife

Eastern Standard. I will, here and there, make little comments and provide an overall summary of the experience when it is done.

reply to post by r2d246

It could be where we find God that has us standing in different places here. However, I tell you, that's exactly what I'm searching to commune with...and in my one true experience in that being's presence, self reflection was my transportation.

reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

It never does, my friend. It never does. Even when you think you are not paying attention to that side, it will suck you right back in. The path begins with conscious thought...there is no going back once the feet begin to walk it.

edit on 19-7-2012 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
wow your timing is deep....muslims start their fast tommorow as well.....a whole month....

if you can "choose" to deny yourself food....then there is nothing you cant do......

peace

Only difference is we can eat when the sun is down. I believe he's doing 72 straight hours.

I wish you good luck!! Keep us updated, AFTER the fact. Avoid the computer dude....

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Well I'm sure you'll find whatever you're looking for. Just that it seems like a lot of people sometimes try to act spiritual which gives them a good feeling. Christian slang its like "the holier than thou" syndrom. So say they fast to whatever god or self or whoeever or whatever. That gives them an ego boost. It in a sense can be also mistakenly done for selfish means. Like getting that feeling like "Im a very spiritual person". And I'm better than those others who aren't, and don't have a sense of that. The bible warns against this in tons of verses. So all I'm trying to say is this. Some people might look at fasting as some kind of new age personal development ritual, or self help idea. And some do it for those purposes. But if you want to do it to find God that's a different ball park. You got to let go of your pride and ego and just invite God in. Anyway good luck let me know how that goes. 72hrs is a long time ouch! lol I can do about 24 hours then I'm well done lol

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Good luck as your going to need it, I fasted for a week last year, and not only did the weight drop off I also became clearer in mind but I didn't have time to meditate or anything like that, I will do that next time though.
My mind became a lot sharper and I woke up to a lot of self truths as well as physically becoming healthier as no junk food or chemicals were ingested which will help your meditation a heck of a lot.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I would suggest that, instead of meditating, which purportedly involves listening to your inner voices but more likely would have you listening to your stomach growl, you read some spiritual and uplifting book(s) and really concentrate on them. Since you are clearly into Asian culture, I cannot make suggestions but I am sure someone else can.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoonra
I would suggest that, instead of meditating, which purportedly involves listening to your inner voices but more likely would have you listening to your stomach growl, you read some spiritual and uplifting book(s) and really concentrate on them. Since you are clearly into Asian culture, I cannot make suggestions but I am sure someone else can.

If you're meditating correctly, you're not listening to your inner voices, but traveling deep within yourself. Let go, lose touch of the body. Hunger has no power over a mind that is disconnected from its body.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Moving towards the 38th hour I find my self reading aloud from the Bhagavad Gita. I am on the Tenth Conversation between Krishna and Arjuna. Last night I also found myself reading Bible Scripture dealing with depersonalization.

I AM

That is the name I seek to utter.

In the physical world I am dealing with my fears of starting Law School in less than a month. I am finding that fear and pain have a place, and if handled properly can simply become minor annoyances much like a light drizzle. If I pay it no mind, and understand its reason, fear will lose interest in the game it seeks to play with my mind and will fade in the face of my will.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
By this time you're done with the fastor close to it, so any advice is too late. Anyways, fasting if done properly will result in a clear mind and good spirits, and other benifits all of which will be conductive for meditation or spiritual contemplation. You mentioned that you wanted to do the fast to help with your ego problems. In order to deal with the ego one should know what the ego is and how it works. The ego is largely responsible for the sense of "I" or "me". It is the ego that creats a false pretense of "my body", a body that must be fed in order to function. It is the ego that triggers the survival instincts that force us to eat food and perserve the "body" which is mistaken for who we are. Fasting is in direct oppostion to the ego. Any form of "tapasaya" or austerity generally does the same thing. You fast or meditate in a cold river or in front of a roaring fire, enduring something which your ego is screaming for you to stop doing and after a time the ego gives up its hold over that aspect of your life and in some sense dies or seems less troublesome. But the ego is tricky and deceiving, often fasting and other austerities trap us in to a "holier than thou" race where we are doing the spritual stuff as a sort of ego boost. You're doing the fasts and meditation and stuff, all of which is considered "spritual stuff", thinking that you're developing spritually when in reality you're not. It's very hard to catch the ego playing its little tricks.
I hope this helps.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Most Infamous

(I apologize for this not making much sense. I have 4and a half hours left and some things hurt and I just awoke from a nap)
I see exactly what you're saying here.

Something I have noticed is that one of my problems stems from this: I don't ask for much, and when individuals ask me what I want for "this holiday or that" I usually tell them nothing. When asked if I would like x y or z I usually ask those individuals not to get me anything. My parents have commented on me not really wanting much of the material things in life, and my friends have made notice of this too. I am noticeably not bothered by much. To bother me, one has to really dig down into a space that is within.

MY PROBLEM: I took this as some sign that the space within was some what sacred and not to be touched. The little things that I did enjoy, being alone at times, my little time for internet, and my exercise time were not to be disturbed. I was "not to be bothered" when participating in the few things that I seemed to "want". This is more than wrong. It goes along with the mentality, "Well, I recycle and am energy conscious, where is my parade?" Well good, you do all of that...but why give a parade to someone doing something that they are supposed to do?

My problem: The moderation of desire and pleasure is not some type of HIGH HORSE. It is something individuals are supposed to be doing in the first place. Everything, my meditation, my not seeking much material gain in life, and my hopes to give the souls of man larger shells to live in (oh wow...that's something I kept through all this thinking) are N O R M A L. Why in the hell should someone be praised for doing something expected of them.

The only reason people should be praised for is: Existing. That's praise worthy enough. All other things, people should not be demonized or aggrandized for hearing, speaking, or doing.

The Gita helped solidify things I already knew...We are to act through nonaction and treat all outside of the maya of duality. Come at pleasure and pain with the same response. Come at failure and success with the same response. Come at a baby's birth and a friend's death with the same response. Take no expectation of reward or rebuke with actions. Have no expectations, just do what you desire to do the best you can do it and focus upon the interconnectedness in all things (and find joy in that).

In short: This fasting is nothing. It meant nothing. It represents nothing. It simply is. Three days of eating food would have been roughly the same. This was as simple as doing what I always do. I have been able to think about a few things a little more and I have provided myself with better understandings of my character flaws....but in all honesty, this could have been done without the fast. The fast does not make it special, the fast simply acts as another sacrifice to the Oneness that pervades all (ie: God/Trueself) but...if one is truly acting within nonaction then all actions are sacrifices to the Godmind.

The God, the omniverse, the galaxy, the constellations, the planet, the sinner, the saint, the mother, the killer, the king, the peasant, the microorganisms, the dirt, the atoms, and the quarks. ALL are the same...essentially, where it matters. All are to be treated just the same, with love. And no being is to be "praised" for treating everyone with love. It's what were were SUPPOSED to be doing in the first place. A round of applause for doing one's duty? Somehow I've come to find that to be, "not correct".

But what is correct anyways, except for a subjective pretext granted to an idea or action that coincides with one's beliefs.

This stuff is simply amazing given the proper thought. I know, I sounded like a raving lunatic in this post...in a few days I'll attempt to clarify.

new topics

top topics

join