It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the lightning bugs?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The crickets on the other hand, just nasty. The are out in record amounts this year, thousands in the parking lots.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
They are here in the northeast along with every other insect --- Me, I am an out door girl... love all out door things - hate being in the house. Love to garden, weed, mow the law, clean the pool, metal detect, dig ditches for run off drains, head walls, grading, etc., etc, .... can't even stand to go out now in the evening because of all these little biting bugs that shoud not be here at this time of year- they do not even care about any bug spray.. tried everything including soaking myself in hot pepper spray.....

Odd Time for Sure...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Lake Huron, Ontario - lots of fireflies, and gnats. Very few mosquitos, next to no bees

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

Its been a lil kooky for all our wild friends this year, I usually go morel (mushroom) hunting every year around mothers day I went early this year because of the weather and almost missed them. They actually came back a few weeks later unheard of to me (not an expert tho). As well as fish spawning early and our pike and muskie populations are down. Due to low water and high water temps , bath water actually.

Cant wait to see how this effects the rut. Oh and on the flipside deer pop is Up due to mild winter.

So pros: More deer, less mosqitoes,less junebugs (another bug I noticed that has been scarce).
Dont have to mow the lawn,no grass.

Cons: Low firefly pop, bad year for crops, bad year for fish. Plenty more as well.

This is just locally for me I understand its diffrent everywhere and that both pro/con list could be expanded.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
In New York they are here in numbers. Hasn't changed much. But it seems like you guys towards the West see a difference. Very odd.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Very few mosquitoes here too. And there's a lake Erie Tributary running behind my house. That's weird, usually the mosquitoes are horrendous up here. But we got tons of the fire flys

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

I hear ya about the junebugs...absolutely none here. And deer, that's another story. Hadn't thought about it till now...they are crazy right now!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
I think your mosquitoes must have made their way here as well, haha! They're HORRIBLE!!! You aren't missing ants, by any chance are you? Because if so, I know where they are! ;oP Seriously, the amount of ALL bugs has increased here this year! It's insane!

You can keep them!!! lol

They are not that bad once you get to know them.. Honest, i swear.
Give the lil buggers a chance. Haha

But them fireflys just suck, all that blinking nonsense. Send em packing heck ill do ya a favor and takem back.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

Hope your a hunter, low skitters plus high deer pop makes for a very enjoyable bow season. And with the bad crops any well maintained food plots will be jumpin lol.

Ill make my very first ATS prediction...... Wait for it... ....here we go.....
Hunters will make out very well this year. Higher than average harvest and plenty of bellies full of delicious venison.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

I'm here in Ohio and I see thousands of them. Me and my son catch them every night. All seems normal to me.
edit on 18-7-2012 by dthwraith because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

I live in fond du lac wisconsin in the city and they are all my back yard this year.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I've lived in Illinois, Texas, Mississippi... and seen fireflies in most locations. Live in Colorado now and have only seen 1 or 2 in DECADES. Always thought it was our winters. (Guess I didn't think about Illinois in my recollections). Reading everyone's responses here tells me its because it is so arid here, always in a drought.

Seems like everyone N, NE is seeing plenty but Mid, and South not so much. I remember seeing the drought map of the US a couple of days ago and everywhere people haven't seen them is in some state of drought. www.plantmaps.com...

People mentioning the presence of mosquitoes and other bugs really brought it home for me. Guess fireflies need plenty of water.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I havent seen any in many years.I guess the area I live in is too citified.When I was a kid I lived in the same house I live in now and back then you would see millions of them at night.But the city moved in around us and I havent seen any in perhaps 15 years or more.Sad.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
edaced4
I'm in Minnesota and i haven't seen very many of our little friends i remember going out at night and there was thousands of them lighting up the sky but sadly not anymore..
But there is thousands of our state bird the mosquitoes around here there so bad i don't want to go outside at night..I miss the lightning bugs ! peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by proob4

That's funny - I live in Michigan, too, and I have also been noticing a lack of them this year. There are some - but not the numbers I had seen in previous years.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Florida Nature Coast, haven't seen a lightning bug in years, used to see them all the time. This summer; no ladybugs just a few bees, more snakes and more coyotes than usual. Even the lovebugs are scarce around here this year..

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

I believe it is do to lack of rain in the Mid-West. Here in New England after a very warm winter and a lot of moisture, we have had a extreme amount of Lighting Bugs in June. Where normally we don't see them till mid to end of July.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
There's an awful lot less this summer here in downstate NY too.

Weird. I noticed this a month ago, but didn't think anything of it. I can remember taking my tennis racket out as a boy and making neon goo for hours. Now I wouldn't be able to make the goo. It's really quite sad.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Strange, Im in the southern central part of the US, and there are usually hundreds flying around at night, but this summer i've only noticed about maybe a quater of what is usually present this part of the year. It has been Hellish hot for the past month and half, with temps reaching well over 100 F, but I dont think that would cause it, maybe a new insecticide. or the dreaded Chemtrails,

edit on 19-7-2012 by Glassbender777 because: Spelling Fix

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
So Illinois near St Louis and very very few fireflies, NO junebugs, no bees, no bats.
I think maybe with the fireflies its due to the heat.. lasts after dark and is record heat. You know its hot when in July the spiders move indoors to get from the heat!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join