It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warhorse: The military's 'My Little Pony' fan club

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Didn't see this posted and wasn't sure what forum it goes in. Mods can feel free to move it if necessary but I consider it a "social issue" because it ties into the feminization and infantilization of society in general..

This is the military, folks. Men and women sworn to defend our nation. A grim, serious business. Does anyone else find it a little odd that they are openly condoning "bronies"? These are adult men who are open fans of cartoon horses from a children's television show aimed at little girls. Now the military lets them prance proudly.

Is this a conspiracy to effiminize the military, to soften it and make it more cuddly? Or just a reflection of a wider social trend whereby grown men and women act like children longer and longer, and whereby the feminine takes increasing precidence over the masculine?

Either way its embarrassing as all get-out, IMHO. And not appropriate for the military, most certainly.

There's a new insignia showing up on the sleeves of a small group of military men, but instead of denoting rank, it advertises their love for a cartoon inspired by the girlish 1980s plastic toy called "My Little Pony."

So-called "Bronies," adult men who are fans of the TV show "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic," have apparently been around at least since 2010, when the Hasbro-owned cartoon first aired. Within their ranks are "Military Bronies," service members from all branches of the military who share their love of the show and wear the "cutie mark" -- a Rainbow Dash patch on their uniforms, Army Times first reported.

The bond may seem strange for men entrusted with defending their nation, but the Military Bronies' Facebook page has more than 1,500 “likes” and has inspired websites like FOB Equestria, where members proudly display their patches and profess their love for a show aimed at children. In a post to the Facebook page, a self-described serviceman who gave his name, but no branch or rank said fellow Bronies have made a soldier out of him.

More at source (Fox)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
We should have seen this coming when don't ask don't tell was discontinued...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The Taliban has fired back launcing a my little camel show and attaching equally ridiculous patches to shemaghs.

Seriously military, not OK.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

What's wrong with it? Why the hate? Lighten up.

They have a stressful job, why not let them relax with a wonderful show they enjoy?

Have you haters ever watched My Little Pony? Give it a chance, you too will discover that "friendship is magic"! Let the sunshine in! Respect and celebrate other people who are different from you, its one of the most important lessons of MLP.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I actually know quite a few active members in the military (army and the marines) who are bronies, and like watching anime / read manga.

Simply put, you like what you like and as long as it doesn't interfere with your job then who cares.

edit on 18-7-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

This stuff had no business being on a uniform.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FailedProphet

You're all kidding right? Did I walk into a twilight zone?

How in the name of anything, will having a little piece of fabric on you, change who you are and how you do your job?

How is that any different than "war paint"?

This is really not news at all, and makes absolutely no sense to scrutinize because it is inconsequential to anything regarding the military, it's operations and the effectiveness of those operations.

You have the largest, most powerful and technologically advanced military on the planet. You have men who kill people from a continent away with an Xbox remote.

But you're worried what they look like? The "image" of the military offends you now? Because they have ponies from a cartoon?

Prioritize your problems America, this isn't one of them

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustingfatbody
reply to post by MidnightTide

This stuff had no business being on a uniform.

On the uniform, no - their are regs and they should be followed.

But the entire rhetoric:

This is the military, folks. Men and women sworn to defend our nation. A grim, serious business. Does anyone else find it a little odd that they are openly condoning "bronies"? These are adult men who are open fans of cartoon horses from a children's television show aimed at little girls. Now the military lets them prance proudly.

Is this a conspiracy to effiminize the military, to soften it and make it more cuddly? Or just a reflection of a wider social trend whereby grown men and women act like children longer and longer, and whereby the feminine takes increasing precidence over the masculine?

So the military has to be grim and dark and SO SERIOUS all the time? As I said, I know a few people in the forces, they like cartoons and there is nothing cuddly about them when it is time to get to business.

On the uniform - no
Personal preference when not on the job, no ones business.
edit on 18-7-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I've never heard of this stuff. If that's what someone likes, who cares? But wearing that patch on the uniform is against regs. Senior NCO's should be all over it, keeping those uniforms within regs.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I think all the bronies will appreciate this. It brought a tear to my eye.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I thought there was a rule with regards to what could be worn on uniform? In any case - my personal reaction is that a man who loves "my little pony" is a weird thing... I guess in that respect, why not a patch? From afar, one looks out of their mind. That could be helpful in certain situations.

edit on 18-7-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Basically. They can jump out of planes and tanks looking like the power rangers. As long as they still go hard in the paint, who cares what patches they have?

If anything this opens to door to more patches. I'm waiting on the Scooby-Doo edition.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FailedProphet

This is the military, folks. Men and women sworn to defend our nation. A grim, serious business.

Dude, I think the folks over at Military Times said it best (just a few snippets that echo my sentiments)

I figure that anyone risking their life in a warzone can watch whatever the heck they want to watch without apology. Good for them! (Erin Palette)

Manliness is the ability to not crumble under someone else’s opinion of you. Manliness is NOT conforming to the opinions of idiots who think they can determine what you can and can’t like. These “bronies” are bigger men than those who TRY to be “manly”, solely because they are flipping their middle fingers to society and liking whatever the hell they want, not giving two sh*ts about anyone else’s opinion of them. That is independence. That is masculinity. (Jordan)

I know bronies who are pro hockey players, MMA fighters, police officers, military, and even Hell’s Angels. The idea that any of them are not masculine is ridiculous and narrow-minded. They are living proof that it’s okay to be tough and admire the themes of friendship, love, and tolerance at the same time. (TheSlorg)

I’d MUCH rather have a brony watching my six than someone who was self-absorbed and thinking of little more than his image. Someone saying openly “I like this show” has conquered a fear of rejection and has faced down a few inner demons. Someone criticizing that person lacks courage, is pretty much guaranteed to have medical-grade skeletons in his closet, and is therefore a prime candidate for desertion under fire or is blackmail fodder. (LR)

These guys said it better than I ever could. And that's from a military rag not Fox Wannabe News.

Sometimes you just gotta get the subtext dude!!! It ain't just a a "girly cartoon".
Try these two links on for size and then come back and maybe we can have an intelligent debate/discussion, s'alright?

Starcraft board
esp GMarshall's long dissertation about half way down the page

TV Tropes Homepage
Just type in "My Little Pony Military" in the search bar and have a ball reading between the lines and over the heads of children. BTW tropes = metaphor

Also BTW I've never watched MLP and I'm not active duty military, but I am a military brat with lots of family members still active duty and I absolutely luv watching the Penguins of Madagascar and Scooby Doo -- and I'm over 50 years old!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I was in the army reserves, watched anime and read manga - everyone knew and didn't care.

To those actively serving, if having a patch showing that you are a brony gets you through a rough tour easier then so be it.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Straight From The Pony's Mouth

A friend thought I would find this thread interesting, and indeed I do. But first, a shameless plug:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

The OP of that thread is ridiculously long, but covers the broader subject of the show's male fandom at great length, and can hopefully shed some additional light on the matter for anyone who may be interested.

The partially distilled version, as it relates to this topic, is that fondness for something deemed "feminine" is not "femininity" any more than fondness for something deemed "masculine" is "masculinity". The notion of such rigidly defined and segregated gender roles is not only hopelessly outdated, but was never really workable in the first place.

Is a male art connoisseur "effeminate" for appreciating the Mona Lisa? Is a man who is too insecure in his identity to have anything to do with women other than procreation truly "masculine"? Rhetorical questions, of course, but the point stands.

It is also possible for adults to appreciate children's entertainment, particularly when it's not aimed solely at children. Shall we malign adult fans of animated Disney movies as "childish"? How about fans of Bugs Bunny, whose first appearances were in film shorts shown in movie theaters to audiences of all ages?

The perception of My Little Pony as girly, frilly and intellectually vacuous does have a reasonable foundation, because for decades, that's exactly the way Hasbro has been marketing the franchise. It is thoroughly ingrained as such in the public psyche and synonymous with "girliness". If that emphasis had not changed with the release of the latest television series, it's an absolute certainty the "brony" phenomenon wouldn't exist at all.

But things changed. The new show is not like the other shows. Its appeal is more along the lines of shows made for the Cartoon Network, and it's finding its way onto DVRs in frat houses and barracks around the world because it contains many of the same elements cartoons aimed specifically at the twenty-something crowd contain. Not terribly surprising in itself, considering the show's creator had previously worked on such projects. But nonetheless unexpected, and a surprising move for Hasbro to make with a show designed to market such a bread-and-butter girls' toy line.

Speaking as a fan, I can certainly understand why someone would look askance at "bronies", because I held the same assumptions myself -- before I actually watched the show, that is. While it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, and people of otherwise good taste can despise it without cause for remorse, the most strenuous criticism I've seen of the series and its fandom invariably comes from people who have never actually watched the show.

Last year, before any of this was anywhere near being on my radar, it took quite a bit of arm-twisting for a friend to convince me to even give the show a first look. When I finally did, I did so for a laugh, as a joke. I expected it to be sickening and stupid, and to turn it off in disgust after a few minutes. Granted, getting through the opening theme song did take some effort the first time, but after giving it five minutes, I knew my assumptions were wrong.

Now I'm quite proud to be a fan, because it's one of the best cartoons I've ever seen, and that's coming from a long-time fan of the old-school Golden Age of Animation material. Bugs Bunny could be considered the archetype for that era, and in this silly little show featuring magical talking ponies, I've found the first cartoon ever that I consider to be in the same league as the classics.

In short, I don't like it because it's a show for girls. I like it because it's a damn good show.

As for military bronies, I think it's a mistake to assume their expressions of fondness for the show are signs of some sort of trend toward femininity.

Rather, it's a sign that real men don't need to pretend to be real men.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Deleted, because I don't want the backlash.
edit on 19-7-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
So they can piss on dead people, take pictures of themselves gloating with corpses, kick puppies off cliffs and use SS flags.

Oh and bomb civilians from miles away using a convenient game pad.

And be the unoffical arm of banksters, crooks and the monied folk.

But a rainbow patch on the arm isn't allowed?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join