It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSers, ah need your help - Anyone know who this guy is? - Civil War 1800's era

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

This is a 'photo' / charcoal-enhanced 'portrait' that we've had for years.

The 'backing' or 'canvas' isn't any sort of 'paper' but more a wood veneer, of sorts .... damn near 1/16+ inch thick

In the one image you'll notice that the right ear has obviously been 'enhanced' or 'put in' using a charcoal medium.

the rest almost seems to be an actual era type photo, charcoal-enhanced ... which wasn't all too uncommon at the time. (?)

None the matter and no less .. those able to have this type 'portrait' done back in the day were typically notable figures, wealthy and / or prominent individuals in their communities, at the time.

Who the hell is this guy!?

I can't quite make out the 'signature', but the 'out of' seems to be 1 / [of] 8

Any ideas folks.

[edit to add]

just hoping someone can put a name to the face.

edit on 7/18/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/17/2013 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/17/2013 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
May I ask how you acquired this "photo"? Has it been passed down the family?

E.T.A. Can you get a cleaner shot of the sig? I swear I see R. A. B. but I can only barely make it out.

edit on 18-7-2012 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Cool picture!

Sounds like you are trying to identify the face in order to determine if there is any monetary value associated to it. Which in doing so may mean you are potentially going to sell the image.. true?

If so, I think that by asking for the help of the ATS community to solve this mystery, you should in fact offer a monetary reward to the individual who first correctly identifies it.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Looks like Abraham Lincoln without his scruffs on.

What I can I say........?

I don't know
edit on 18-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

My mother picked it up years ago [70s-80s] at a yard sale [I think] and gave it to us probably back in the early 90s.

NO .... not a family member in the portrayal.

[edit to add]

Gettysburg, PA area

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
No idea, but he reminds me of Harry, from Harry and the Hendersons!
That brow ridge!

edit:

hmmm, maybe it's just me

edit on 18-7-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ericthenewbie
Cool picture!

Sounds like you are trying to identify the face in order to determine if there is any monetary value associated to it. Which in doing so may mean you are potentially going to sell the image.. true?

If so, I think that by asking for the help of the ATS community to solve this mystery, you should in fact offer a monetary reward to the individual who first correctly identifies it.

Tell you what 'eric' ... I'd just like to finally identify the guy. Son of a gun has been collecting dust for years here now.

If it turns out to be worth anything significant ... I'd be sure and certain to 'share' ... you can bet your boots on that.

No. I'm not soliciting the Community for anything. I just want to finally determine who the hell they are. Point blank. Plain and Simple.

[eidt to add]

and with the ATS Community being as diverse and mutli-national as it is ... I figured SomeOne out there might have a clue to his identity, origin. That's all.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Dad???
Is that you.....

On a serious note I have no idea but he has one crazy beard!

Though now I know you may "share" perhaps I'll do a little digging!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30

On a serious note I have no idea but he has one crazy beard!

that's the thing ... so much of it looks like an era type photo that has been charcoal-enhanced or 'fixed', to suit and /or accommodate the inherent flaws in that type imagery back in the day.

identifying the individual would likely go a long way towards where, why, when and how it was taken / done. (?)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Whoever did this was really good. My suggestion would be to place these images, or a link to them, on a genealogy forum such as rootsweb, myheritage, or genforum. There are others too. If you know someone with an ancestry.com account, that would be even better.

You might be surprised. There is probably a family member out there looking for this portrait.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I did a google image search,
Here is the link

images.google.com...

Well,that didn't work.The link that is.
Have you tried it yet?

Maybe it's just a family portrait.

edit on 18-7-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

This guy,younger and with out the beard,maybe?

deadconfederates.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Intersting point.

If a relative were to lay claim that this was their great-great whatever, and could demonstrate the same, .... hell ... I'd give it to them.

I'm just curious as to who the hell it is.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Hey There, I think that is Joseph Smith founder of the mormons or latter day saints? Something like that.
I have seen
a photo of that likeness before, and it was a religious figure Circa 1800's American.
Bringham Young comes to mind. Check images of Quakers too.
Hope this helps

edit on 18-7-2012 by Wildmanimal because: add content

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I am the family historian. It is because of other geneaologists that I have some pictures I wouldn't have had otherwise. I've seen this done before, that's what made me think of it.

Good luck.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

My bad, I didn't mean for it sounds like that was your only intent, just that if it was and someone here identified him something for their efforts would be nice is all.

I don't know who it is but I think it would be safe to say that he was either Amish or Mennonite based on the beard style.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

I was thinking along the same lines that he was some type of religious figure but I don't think it's Joseph Smith based on the pictures from Google images.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
I did a google image search,
Here is the link

images.google.com...

Well,that didn't work.The link that is.
Have you tried it yet?

Maybe it's just a family portrait.

This guy,younger and with out the beard,maybe?

deadconfederates.com...

Sorry,added to this .

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
You say this pic was recieved from somewhere near Gettysburg? Find the phone number to the Gettysburg Historical Society and give them a call. Maybe they can help you identify him if they let you mail or email a detailed picture to them? Historical Societies, especially in Gettysburg, keep a pretty decent track of who was who. They'd prolly even be able to give you a general year a pic like that would of been made. when in doubt always check with Historical Societies first, they may not have all the answers but as a ghost hunter, they've pointed me in the right direction on more then one occasion when digging up history.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I have an ancestry account and would be more than willing to help. Though I have found it could take literally forever before you get a hit on a pic.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
12m8keall2c

The man in the picture is wearing a civilian frock coat good but inexpensive his shirt looks to be natural muslin typical by the mid 1880s..I don't know who the man is but i wonder if he was the town preacher ..I hope your able to find out who this mystery man is
peace,sugarcookie1

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join