It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The funny thing about Liars and how to spot a compulsive Liar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Liars always have to back up their lies with more lies, thats what makes them compulsive liars. They make more lies to cover their tracks to defend old lies. Soon it has an avalanche effect so full of lies that they can no longer cover their tracks or remember their old lies.

Could that also be said about Obama and Democrats and office? One example is his birth certificate, another is the Fast and Furious.

So many lies they can't even navigate a way out. Thats why America is headed towards dictatorship. Because they can no longer cover their tracks, so instead they will try to guard their power by any means necessary.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

I thought you were going to say look for a (D) or (R) after their name.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

No, I only do that when I am predicting what they are about to say.

Usually I am right.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

You mean to tell me that Republicans don't lie?

I think we found our first liar then...

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

No way, I never said that.

Im pretty sure GW told some tall tales.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
OK consider this argument.

Democrats always blame republicans for slashing education, firefighters and police.

But what they are always talking about, but don't say is labor unions. When they go after unions, democrats always play the education for children, firefighters and police. When all they are really out to protect is labor unions.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Every single human being is a natural born liar.

Have you really not figured that out yet?

Everybody is lying to everybody else.

Most people are so good they don't even realise they are lying.

I am a liar but at least I am honest ! lol

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

You mean to tell me that Republicans don't lie?

I think we found our first liar then...

~Tenth
Careful, your brainwashing is showing. GRA said a "D" OR an "R". Both lie.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
What birth certificate lie?

You lost me.
That you, Joe?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Unless the person actually knows how to lie. In which case they give very small amounts of information and only say more when asked specific questions. They could also be trying to give an explanation, and not lieing at all.

Republicans make broad statements about values and shoot down any specific opinion of course of action given by a liberal about a specific situation. A liberal refrains from strangling the conservative until they come up with something the conservative can't shoot down. Then when things go badly the conservative blames the liberal. Either way the republican wins.

Until you meet a slick # democrat like Bill Clinton that corners the conservative and makes them scream for mercy.
This is what we call politics.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Spotting liars happens to be one of my specialties. No, I didn't learn this from watching Lie to Me. i use this for work, home, in classes I teach.

First of all as a rule, when men lie, we tend to lean in or lean foreward. For women, it's the opposite. Try it, notice men and women on TV, being interveiwed or when you confront somebody about an issue.
What I find interesting is that even in film, you can spot who's lying by using certain guides.

Also, if you look at somebody face to face, divide their face down the middle mentally. This is going to depend on wether or not they are right or left handed. Most poeple are righty's. If you know off hand that someone is a righty, they will look to THEIR left when telling you the truth, to the right when they aren't. Left means memory.. something that actually happened... they are remembering, so it is truthful. When they look to the right, it's false memory (lie), creating events (lie). Again, this goes for Righty's and it's the opposite for lefty's.

Next step, staying with the face divided down the middle..
anytime an individual (righty or lefty) looks UP.. it's Visual. A memory of how something played out. UP=VISUAL.
When they look to the SIDE, even for a split second.. A conversation, how someting was said. it's AUDIO. SIDE=AUDIO
When they look DOWN, they are remembering how something felt PYHSICALLY. Even in matters of SEX.. this can be a good thing or in cases of infidelity, a bad thing. it's PHYSICAL. DOWN=PHYSICAL.

If we don't know right off the bat, there are a few ways to tell a righty and a lefty.
Ask a few questions that your sure they would answer honestly.

This is just the beginning.. there is much more to learn but these are the basics.

Word of advice, do not teach your spouse this, I did and she knows all my tricks.. LOL.
Also, be cautious of teaching your children.. some will use it for good.. some will not.
I haven't taught mine.. so, when I spot them lying, they are still stumped at how I do it.

Thats my contribution for this thread.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mccw2003

Unless it is a sickness. I raised my young nephew from the age of 9. He had a really rough life before he came to live with me.

I always knew when my nephew was lieing. His lips were moving and he was projecting words. In the beginning he lied about everything. "Everything". He lied about things that made no sense and often not even related to the conversation. He could not tell the truth even if you asked his name.

At 9 it was obvious that no thought went into the lies. They were just words coming out of his mouth. By the time he was 12. Well, things started get very interesting. He learned to play the best of them. I will never forget this one psychiatrist that worked with him for almost 6 months and he thought he had developed a bond with him. I had warned him not to believe anything that my nephew said but he was the expert.

He called me in after one of his sessions to ask me about an encounter my nephew had had with his father. I listened. It was a very nice tale. When he asked me, after retelling the very long and very detailed event, if I had noticed any difference in his behavior, since his father was interacting with him again. I sat there just looking at him, deliberately, for about 10 minutes. I then got up walked to the door and asked is secretary to bring my nephew into then room. When my nephew came in to the room I asked him, "What does your father look like?" "Can you describe him?" He turned to the psychiatrist and smiled. He said, "Gotcha."
"See you next week?" The psychiatrist actually looked bewildered. He could not believe that he had been totally and completely duped.

I found out this is not uncommon with some teens. Especially troubled ones. They live a life of lies. At least they live a life of lies of their own creation. We on the other hand........

By the way. He is now grown with a son of his own. He tries to be a good father. He works hard and even helps with homework. It was a rough journey but he seems to doing well. He still tries to fool me every once in a while. I never have to say a word. I just give him what he calls "The Look". He quickly backs off and says "Auntie you know I have to keep you sharp." His son is a dream child, functioning in advanced level classes. He is loving, thoughtful and brilliant. He is 10 and I just hope he stays on the path he is on now. You never know how things will play out.

But some liars, well, you just aren't going to see them all coming.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

A Sociopath

A sociopath is typically defined as someone who lies incessantly to get their way and does so with little concern for others. A sociopath is often goal-oriented (i.e., lying is focused - it is done to get one's way). Sociopaths have little regard or respect for the rights and feelings of others. Sociopaths are often charming and charismatic, but they use their talented social skills in manipulative and self-centered ways (see, lovefraud, for more on sociopaths).

Compulsive Liar

A compulsive liar is defined as someone who lies out of habit. Lying is their normal and reflexive way of responding to questions. Compulsive liars bend the truth about everything, large and small. For a compulsive liar, telling the truth is very awkward and uncomfortable while lying feels right. Compulsive lying is usually thought to develop in early childhood, due to being placed in an environment where lying was necessary. For the most part, compulsive liars are not overly manipulative and cunning (unlike sociopaths), rather they simply lie out of habit - an automatic response which is hard to break and one that takes its toll on a relationship (see, how to cope with a compulsive liar).

The terms Pathological Liar, Habitual Liar and Chronic Liar are often used to refer to a Compulsive Liar

What is the Difference Between a Sociopath, a Compulsive, a Pathological, a Chronic, and a Habitual Liar?

With the classic narcissist, language is used cruelly and ruthlessly to ensnare one's enemies, to sow confusion and panic, to move others to emulate the narcissist ("projective identification"), to leave the listeners in doubt, in hesitation, in paralysis, to gain control, or to punish. Language is enslaved and forced to lie. The language is appropriated and expropriated. It is considered to be a weapon, an asset, a piece of lethal property, a traitorous mistress to be gang raped into submission. --Sam Vaknin, author, Malignant Self Love.

Pathological lying is one of the hallmark characteristics of a narcissist, who does it out of a need to manipulate and maintain control. For the immature narcissist there is an essential emotional truth: lying is an expression of his (or her) mistrust of others; and his (or her) need to maintain a fragile sense of self at all costs.

Being honest (and therefore vulnerable) terrifies the narcissist. Since his primary goal is to control others, through projection he constantly fears that others will try to control him. Thus, lying becomes the modus operandi through which he can maintain his superficial presentation of himself and keep people from learning the truth of who he really is. He never allows himself to be "pinned down", or accountable. More lies are always necessary to cover up a previous lie. And typically, he even begins to believe his own lies and become outraged at any suggestion that he may be lying. Thus he becomes sincere in his lying and others may actually believe the lies because of the sincerity. This is why truly pathological liars (such as sociopaths) are so hard to detect in the population. In general, the lack of an ability to feel guilty about the lies, and the perverse sense that he is "entitled to lie" are standard for the political narcissist.

NARCISSISM, PATHOLOGICAL LYING, AND POLITICS

Hmmm.

Who is our favorite politician now ?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Glad to see your Nephew finally grew up. Sounds like you did a great job raising him. I too, growing up just had to get that look from my Grandparents and I straitened my act up quick. Kids nowadays (not all mind you) have no sense of fear and respect. I see it all the time. Furtunately for my Wife and I, all we have to do is give the look too. My Daughter from time to time will even tear up when I give her the look... then I feel terrible.

True, you cannot spot every Liar... but from my experience, it seems to be pretty univeral. There will be the occasional exception. Some of my relatives are uncomfortable talking to me since I have caught them in lies on several occasions.

There are some gifted poeple that are that good though when it comes to deception. Thanks for sharing your story!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Actually even more practical are these tactics to spot one:

www.wikihow.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: thehoneycomb

I am reviving this thread to add some relevant new information:

www.newser.com...
EXPERTS: SOCIAL MEDIA "LIES" CAN CREATE FALSE MEMORIES

(So, basically, the Liars start believing their own lies? That could explain a lot - from the "outraged accused" in government, to the "swears-they-are-right" psychos running around in the civilian world. THIS is why the earlier reports out of Benghazi after the 9/11/2012 attack - or the early 2013 vetted reports - are the most accurate.

(This is how Team Obama's "cover stories/lies" - as pumped up by their back-pocket-media - can seriously alter the public's perception of real, historical events. I wonder if future historians can sort out the REAL Truth ...)

new topics

top topics

join