It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physical inactivity kills as many people as smoking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Physical inactivity kills as many people as smoking

www.newscientist.com

If ever you needed a shock to the system to make you get off your backside and into a pair of trainers, this is it: Lack of physical activity kills roughly as many people as smoking. That is the shocking message from a series of papers published this week on the health impact of inactivity.

The papers, published in The Lancet suggest that more than 5.3 million deaths would be avoided each year if all inactive people exercised, about the same toll as the 5 million deaths annually from smoking.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thelancet.com

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I'm not sure how shocking this news is. I know that part of good health is actually using your body for something other than standing still. But it never occurred to me that a sedentary lifestyle could be that dangerous for so many people.

The Lancet has a storied but relatively solid reputation when it comes to peer-reviewed work, so I tend to take this research seriously.

"As populations have shifted towards industrialisation, mechanisation and dependency on cars, we've engineered opportunities for physical activity out of our lives, and are now killing ourselves as a result," says Kohl, lead author of another article in The Lancet, which argues for global action to reverse the situation.

I wonder if this means there will be areas in city and government buildings where you have to go to be sedentary?

Perhaps interesting to some might be the fact that this research was "unfunded" by any commercial organization (aside I suspect from the university itself). And the incredible conclusion was a heart-warming departure from the "blame game."

Hallal says that the situation shouldn't be blamed on people having a lack of motivation, but rather on the creation of environments in which it is impossible or inconvenient to move around and exercise, walk or cycle.

[emphasis mine]

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-7-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
My coach had a quote something like this.

You don't stop being active because you're getting old, you get old because you stop being active.

That's why I swim , bike, walk and on occasion run.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The sad thing about it is that there was a recent study that showed 3 minutes of really high intensity exercise a week was pretty much all you need. It was on Horizon on the BBC.

You dont need gyms or anything else, just a little bit of willpower and a half decent diet.

edit on 18-7-2012 by SprocketUK because: Added a video

CX

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I always think of my body like my pond in my garden. If i keep it moving via the pump (heart), it will stay clear and healthy.

Turn that pump off and leave the water still, it will soon turn into a stagnant sludge that harbours all kind of nasties.

CX.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
well i might as well order my casket now. i never exercise and i smoke a lot. although, i am naturally skinny and by nature don't eat much. maybe i'm exempt???

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
why are people so obssessed with staying alive longer on this planet that we have done our best to destroy and is probably past repairing? the only way to be successful is to trample on others. any luxuries you care to treat yourself to are probably made in prison/factories in third world or communist countries were workers would rather commit suicide than stay alive.

stay alive longer so you can work longer?

Many people are living much longer now.

Spend your life keeping fit, biking, walking swimming, etc That way your body will live years longer. Your mind will probably revert to that of a 3year old, but sure what the hell.

I think i am going to start smoking again.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
i smoke & i run.
so i guess i'm ok.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It's about your quality of life. You do a little exercise and you find you can have more fun. Play footy with your kids, climb trees, run, just cos you feel like it. All those things are denied to the chronically unfit. Even if you only manage the same life span, the life you lead will be fuller.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Don't be so worried about what doctors or studies say. Have you noticed how many are just forgotten or later discredited? I'm not saying all of them are wrong by any means but doctors are very good mechanics, they don't drive your car however!

One study once found that eating fatty foods and things like pork scratching was beneficial to health. Once an opthalmologist told me everything I saw must be round in shape because of a lens defect I have. He really wouldn't let go even though I told him he was talking through the opposite end of his body.

Here today, less emphasis tomorrow!

Enjoy life!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
why are people so obssessed with staying alive longer on this planet that we have done our best to destroy and is probably past repairing? the only way to be successful is to trample on others. any luxuries you care to treat yourself to are probably made in prison/factories in third world or communist countries were workers would rather commit suicide than stay alive.

stay alive longer so you can work longer?

Many people are living much longer now.

Spend your life keeping fit, biking, walking swimming, etc That way your body will live years longer. Your mind will probably revert to that of a 3year old, but sure what the hell.

I think i am going to start smoking again.

Working for the eugenics team are you?

And I'll let you in on a little secret, they and their industries have pretty much destroyed earth, oh and their underwater/underground nukes, left, right and center. THey're Nuking the US right now in what seems like an all out nucelar war against the people. Mushroom clouds in Texas? Radiation in the madrid fault area? HMMMMMM.... oh and Harp, heat spells.

They want to make water the new oil and are doing this all on purpose with all the rights being bought up to the aquaducts and sell you bottled water.

ITS THEM, not us. We are not doing this. THEY ARE. SO YOU WANT TO OFF YOURSELF FOR THEM?

HELL NO!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

you don't need to insult me with a disgusting opening comment like that. thanks.

they want to keep you alive.

go and take your polypill www.bbc.co.uk...

for me , i have had enough. i am not afraid to let go.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

I wonder if this means there will be areas in city and government buildings where you have to go to be sedentary?

I guess that would depend on whether your inactivity would present a direct danger to others, not merely family members that depend on you or would have to care for you. Such an ordinance in government buildings might also put many civil servants out of work.

I tend to believe inactivity is more a danger to health than smoking, first evidenced by the somewhat larger number your post presents for that category, and secondly that I believe the dangers about smoking are over-blown - afterall, if it were really that bad for you it would more likely be encouraged by the people that poison our food, drug our children, and generally promote a sick world. It is not desired that you live long enough to draw your Social Security payments for long, if at all, only that you live long enough to pay into the system.

For the final eight years of my work career I was chained to a console for 14-16 hours a day. This took a toll on my general health and well-being but gave me an opportunity to retire young. Now retired I am more physically active and regaining my good spirits that accompany health and happiness. I continue to be a heavy smoker but don't tend to feel the ill effects of doing so; my previous inactivity, however, after six years of retirement and more active living is still being overcome as my vigor and youthful feeling is continually being restored.

I believe light dancing or at least rhythmical and graceful movement does the most to restore physical well-being. It also helps to smile a lot and not be overly critical.

edit on 18-7-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I take all of these medical studies with a glass half full approach. One day something is good for you? The next day, it turns out to be bad? Back and forth and back and forth. When they find an elixir for immortality? Let me know! Everybody wants to cheat death and live forever? At least that is how I see it.

Furthermore, we have these so-called learned types telling us how we should live our lives, how to raise our kids, and what to do with our idle time. I think it is social engineering. Word to the wise, you cannot cheat death or outrun it. It comes when it does. No one is exempt. That is life, and we just need to get on with it.

Eat all the turnips, grass, drink soy milk, and assume whatever lifestyle change encouraged by these medical professionals and scientists. It does not matter an iota whether you live or die. You could probably buy a little bit of time if you can avoid all the potential accidents in the world? Sooner or later, we are all going to croak. Excuse my blunt language, but it is true. Either we can live our lives as much as we can, or we can withdraw from it in hopes to live out the rest of our days drooling on ourselves and defecating in a bedpan. Something to think about it.
edit on 18-7-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I'm surprised that no-one has chimed in with the...'burden on the health system', that this statistic reveals...for all of those that choose to not be sedentary, and subsequently are not a burden on the health sysytem...ironic that the number exceeds the numbers for smoking...

Akushla

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
But, most people won't care enough to do anything physical anyway. I mean, my gosh, there are already so so many reasons that studies have given us that say exercise makes life better. They say it's just as or more effective to perk up your mood as any drug a doctor can prescribe. When people get depressed, does that make them any more motivated to get out and walk? No, they're too busy with "other things." They don't like to sweat either. Plus, there's that whole issue of the air being cleaner outside.

Most people live pleasure-oriented lives. I do too, so I'm not pointing fingers. But, I take pleasure in feeling better after a jog or run, than I did before I started. It was not always so stimulating or energizing. It took time for me to develop my stamina, but now I feel better afterward than I did before. Amazing how that works.

Anyway, what the government should admit is that they LIED about the food pyramid. You eat grains and sugar, you will get fat. It's only a matter of time. That's not the worst. People who eliminated those foods reversed "incurable" diseases like heart disease and diabetes and cancer. It actually happens for people. Read the reviews for certain diets. You'll see people telling their story. If it didn't happen, they'd surely tell you the book was bogus. I realize we could say there is a conspiracy. There is always the chance. I believe these people, though.

Anyway...people don't want the truth. They want the pleasure (fantasy). It's "not your fault" if you get a certain disease; it's "just part of getting older." Tell that to the people who reversed their own.

Despite knowing what to do, it's still hard to stick with a diet that excludes sugar and grains (birdseed). It's expensive. It isn't addictive, aka it doesn't make you 'high' like sugar and grain will. And, it doesn't taste as nice. BUT, it makes your body feel better.

I probably do about 40% raw paleo...and 60% of things like sandwiches and processed food. It's hard to quit the junk, especially if it's all around you, and you can smell it. Tough to say no without group support, or whatever.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

I figure if I "have" to be here, I might as well make effort (when I feel motivated) to make my time here better. There are times when I just don't care. It comes and goes.

Anyway, we are programmed to die, according to a doctor who wrote a book. He said our genes undergo something called "genetic pleitrophy" (my spelling may be off). It's basically a case off our genes "programming" us to react physiologically to one thing (like sugar) one way growing up, then at a certain point, they "switch" or "turn on us" and now that same sugar will kill you if you eat it after a certain age. The point is to clear the way for the children you hopefully had, so that you aren't eating food that they could be eating. The point is to evolve, and after you raise your kids, your genes 'turn on you' and all those yummy things will now destroy you over time. We effectively sacrifice ourselves for the betterment of our species, just like certain rumored men in history. Yep, we're all as holy as the j-man, unless you don't raise kids or protect others' or many other ways to contribute. Book is called "Diet Evolution." It is not the best book on healthy eating, as I've come to know it, but it is a start.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

I dunno, I've found that eating paleo isn't much different money wise to the old way...Sure tastes better too! Got a bunch of recipes online if you fancy a look. My BLOG

And if people just took a paleo view of exercise they'd find themselves having a bit of fun while getting fitter on the side.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
3 things

Firstly yes very true
Secondly I would like to make an addition, not only jogging or biking but also back exercises. I always say you don't walk on your feet, you walk on your back, you don't pick things up with your arms you pick them up with your back and then you sleep on your back. You HAVE to do back exercises, it's not a choice.

and lastly, what the hell? Don't blame lazy people blame the surroundings?
That's lazy thinking!!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
reply to post by daynight42

I dunno, I've found that eating paleo isn't much different money wise to the old way...Sure tastes better too! Got a bunch of recipes online if you fancy a look. My BLOG

And if people just took a paleo view of exercise they'd find themselves having a bit of fun while getting fitter on the side.

I do grassfed beef. Meat is more expensive than processed foods or grains for sure. No doubt. But, with suet mixed in, which is very high in calories and cheap, I can see how that would balance things and make it even out. It's about $5 per pound where I currently buy it. That isn't enough to feed me for a day, so at least $150 per month..probably $180 with the suet or beef fat mixed in...would cover me...but that's just for that, not including other things like any vegetables and stuff. Some people would say that isn't too much. Others would. Depends. Grassfed suet is one of the cheapest and healthiest things I've found to eat...it's just hard to get raw. I need to get a meat grinder.

THanks for the link. I eat my stuff raw though...lots of fat (if cooked), makes me sick...raw...no problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join