It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for those of you who oppose ID to vote....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
It's not like there is any logical, sane argument against having to show ID to vote, but just for arguments sake, here is a quick question:

Given that Democrats are those largely opposed to showing any form of ID to vote claiming that it is an infringement, that would then make showing any form of ID an infringement on my 2nd Amendment rights.

Would those who oppose ID to vote also be in favor of eliminating any and all requirements to show ID to purchase a gun?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeFromTheHerd

Owning a gun is not the same as voting.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain

I agree... voting actually is more widespread and voter fraud actually causes a far greater level of disruption and severity to our country than firearm ownership does.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

I agree... voting actually is more widespread and voter fraud actually causes a far greater level of disruption and severity to our country than firearm ownership does.

I strongly disagree
politicalcorrection.org...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeFromTheHerd
It's not like there is any logical, sane argument against having to show ID to vote, but just for arguments sake, here is a quick question:

Given that Democrats are those largely opposed to showing any form of ID to vote claiming that it is an infringement, that would then make showing any form of ID an infringement on my 2nd Amendment rights.

Would those who oppose ID to vote also be in favor of eliminating any and all requirements to show ID to purchase a gun?

Hi FreeFromTheHerd, I don't have a problem with I.D laws provided that they are fair and easy to follow. For example, I don't have a problem with State I.D laws for voting provided that the government is willing to issue I.D's free of charge to those folks who don't have them, and provided that they are not restrictive. I'll give you an example of an I.D law I don't support. In Texas they'll accept "gun I.D's" but not many other forms of I.D's, this to me is unacceptable and it obviously discrimminates.
edit on 18-7-2012 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

That's the thing, SG. If each state issues one for free then it's a non issue. Otherwise it's just another form of a poll tax. I too don't have a problem with 100% true elctoral process, but it has to be free and accessible to everyone.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

I strongly disagree
politicalcorrection.org...

You disagree with my statement of agreement with you?
Stats
Your heavily partisan politicalcorrection site calls out 341 cases over more than a decade... the above link calls out more than that in a single incident in a Virgina county alone and thousands overall. If firearm ownership had that kind of record, there would be statues of James Brady on most street corners.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Your claim was that voter fraud is widesread and a giant problem.

It is not

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Sure...you I support your right to join the well regulated Militia (the National Guard) without showing an ID.

Knock yourself out.

Not sure why you are talking about "owning" a gun...the Constitution never says such a thing.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Not sure why you are talking about "owning" a gun...the Constitution never says such a thing.

Uh... is there something about this

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

which confuses you, OKS?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Because you only posted half of the 2nd ammendment and left out an important qualifying piece that has never been followed.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

But hey...I guess some people don't like to follow the Constitution to the word.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I don't think anyone opposes voter id laws because of lack of funds or fairness or intimidation. Those are side shows. The big problem is that it is nearly impossible to get a valid ID for dead people.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Sure...you I support your right to join the well regulated Militia (the National Guard) without showing an ID.

Knock yourself out.

The national guard didnt exist at the time the Constitution was written. Your argument is both factually incorrect and laughable.

The Constitution also does not say you have a right to vote, it is merely implied.

If you want to split hairs on the Constitution or the 2nd Amendment specifically, this is one debate you will lose in an extremely humiliating way.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Because you only posted half of the 2nd ammendment and left out an important qualifying piece that has never been followed.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

But hey...I guess some people don't like to follow the Constitution to the word.

The people are the militia you dimwit.

If you wish to debate something, it would help tremendously if you had an understanding of the topic beforehand.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Most of those cases are people being CHARGED with or investigated for voter fraud, not convicted. Also, in most cases I read, an ID wouldn't have changed the situation at all. Showing an ID isn't going to prevent someone from stuffing a ballot box or falsifying a petition,

To answer the OP's question, I am in favor of showing an ID to purchase a gun. We register to vote up front so we don't have to show ID at the polls. If we registered for gun ownership ahead of time, showing an ID wouldn't be necessary.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Yep the second amendment sure does confuse leftists the simple fact when one looks at the very definition of militia it is a military force of what?

Civilians not government.meaning that the civilians have every right to keep and bear arms those thing needed to secure those rights deemed in the constitution.

Yeah we can play word games all day long with the word militia and military two clear distinct words that have two different meanings.

Just as there are clear differences between a militia such as the national guard "week end warriors" and the military "full time warriors".

Seems that the op made a clear point owning a gun which has always been a right has been deemed to be a "priviledge" that only goverment gets to decide

Where as

Everyone has a "right" to vote except when it comes to felons,dead people, and illegals which all have been proven to have voted in the majority of US elections.

Latest example of that is the fraud surrounding Al Franken amd Charlie Rangle elections.

I do support voter ID laws why the hell not or are the anti voter id lot too afraid of winning a election the honest way?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

The national guard didnt exist at the time the Constitution was written. Your argument is both factually incorrect and laughable.

Handguns and rifles didn't exist either.

So if your argument is that it has to be in context of when the Constitution was written...then sure...go out and grab your musket.

If you want to split hairs on the Constitution or the 2nd Amendment specifically, this is one debate you will lose in an extremely humiliating way.

I highly doubt it.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

The people are the militia you dimwit.

If you wish to debate something, it would help tremendously if you had an understanding of the topic beforehand.

The "people" are the "unorganized militia".

The National Guard is the States "organized militia".

I know...big words...I'm surprised a "dimwit" like me knows them.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
I do support voter ID laws why the hell not or are the anti voter id lot too afraid of winning a election the honest way?

Do you have any evidence that any of the past elections by Democratic presidents have won vai voter fraud? Obviously you don't because that evidence does not exist. Republicans always conveniently wheel out voter I.D during the election period. While I don't have anything against I.D laws provided they are fair, I don't doubt they are politically motivated as well.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

No, you will lose. The 2nd Ammendment was meant for INDIVIDUALS to own firearms.

You don't have to join a militia to own one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join