It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who know whitley strieber

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
Books by Whitley Strieber (combine/separate works)

To those who say his career took a slide after publishing Communion:

At least twelve of the 28 books he wrote are sequels and follow ups to Communion and about that same (ETH) subject. I think he's only done a couple obvious sci-fi/fantasy works after that.

To me this suggests that he had some writer's block just prior to writing Communion. Being tapped out, it was a good thing for him that the book did well.

I'd also suggest that he has not been abducted - in fact he irks me because I think he takes advantage of people who really believe they did have a CE-4.

I have a hunch that there is a startling reason that he claims this was a real experience, but to post it here might not be prudent. I have no proof - nobody does, though Ed Conroy might have some ideas. (Report on Communion)

(Though I don't much care for his methods and means, I don't think it's fair to conclude that he's a bad guy or rude to his fans on the basis of one letter. I understand that feeling, but often sometimes the email replies you get are from staffers; plus, anyone can have a bad day.
I have heard stories that he was hard to deal with on the set of the Movie, but again, who knows; you hear that a lot in tinsel town. Doesn't have much bearing on his veracity.)

If you haven't seen it, try to. It's out there. Having my man Christopher Walken play WS was a stroke of genius in the casting dept. Whitley didn't like his portrayal, LOL...

[edit on 1-9-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I just wanted to add that I have an enormous amount of respect for Mr Budd Hopkins and his work, so when I heard that he now distances himself from his one time "patient" (for lack of a better word), due to Budd doubting his story & motives more & more, it made me question Whitley's credibility.
Especially after veiwing the movie communion - was this movie true to the book? It just didnt sit right with me

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   
from his website

www.unknowncountry.com...

several documents, including lie detctor tests and MRIs and such, supposedly proving his claims are the truth.

what do i think? i dunno, ive heard him on C2C a few times and he always seems to sound like a nut. and it always seems like an act, a sort of improvisation. becuase he seems to dilly-dally around, and start to awnser questions, but then somehow always seems to change the topic to some "story" on his webpage. seems as if he is all about publicity to me.

and his wifey, she seems to fully support his claims, although i dont believe she admits to any ET contact herself. she is always willing tp put forth some new age theory though to make her husbands claims soudn legitimate. this is what i think a mate would do if she knew the claims where false, but wanted to stick around for the ride (and spend all that cash)

who knows though? maybe he really was analy probed.....

and in the movie, those darn aliens are soo freaking cute in some sorta freakish way.

[edit on 2-9-2007 by Esotericist]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Some people might not like his style but the way-out stuff he describes in his "true" books are startlingly similar to experiences reported by thousands of other, more ordinary, folk around the globe.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Again, it's idiots like Strieber that make people that are interested in UFO's look like nuts. And the fact that there are so many that are so willing to hang on his every word blindly does not help.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Whitley is a great writer. The Wild, Wolfen, the Hunger (it's sequel sucked though) Catmagic, all brilliant. He was nowhere near the success level of King, Koontz or even Neiderman, but he was and is a fine writer.

Unfortunately, I also believe he is seriously mentally ill. Lets face it, each book got more and more outlandish. Blue goblins, flying diamonds the size of aircraft carriers, magical wolves and owls- the usual UFO mythology that is a little hard to swollow for someone like myself. Then came Transformation. Astral projection? Flying around the room? Trips to strange planets? Eat chocolate and you'll die? Transformation also carried the very prickly line- ' scoffing at abductees is as ugly as laughing at rape victims'. He BETTER be telling the truth. Oh, and he built his own anti-gravity machine as a kid. Lets not forget his 'speech concerning the evils of the British Empire...'
And the grays visit bookstores to read his books and comment on them.

Fantastic fiction, but has the man produced one shred of evidence? Why do aliens need to do this crap? The point of the mental/spiritual games is? Has Andy Strieber ever commented on the insane rantings of his parents? Seems strange he's so quiet. I'll admit two things- I LOVE the Walken movie (Philipee Mora is a hometown boy of mine) as a FICTIONAL account of one man facing the strange (replace aliens with mental illness/spiritual awakening and it would work just as easily) and dealing with the aftermath. Also, the video of the ' probe' in his ear freaked me out a little. Why DID his ear start glowing when he began discussing government involvement in abductions?

He's pretty much a cultist though. Lets face it, human weakness and fear of being alone is the same for everyone. Loads of people mock a Baptist/Catholic/Orthodox Christian for their belief in a supreme deity named Jesus, yet willing accept and ferverantly embrace the idea that a man called 'Master of the Key' gave Strieber all the answers. I'm for people believing what they want, but seriously, that's as ridiculous as anything the atheists accuse Christianity/Islam/Judaism of being, even more so. At least concerning religion (the Abrahamic branches) there are mere SHREDS of evidence. Whitley makes money out of middle-class hippies who want enlightenment the easy way.

A Siamese cat yelled in his ear? Come on.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

I hardly believe that Jacques Vallee, a seasoned and honest researcher with links to Whitley Strieber who wrote some prefaces for his books, would say anything of the kind of Whitley. Your claims, both actually, are outlandish.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I think people going into his books looking for revelations of truth about the subject will be greatly disappointed.

However, If you read them with no expectations, they become a great read.

Truthful or not, he is a good writer. I've got all his Alien-related books, including Majestic, which is one of those 'names have been changed into a work of fiction, but it is based on supposed truth' deals.

Do I believe all his claims? No. I do get a feeling of truth from some of his writings though.

Breakthrough is a great read regarding the evidence for the UFO phenomenon. Things like implants and photographs are weighed up for their evidential value.

Strieber is the same as any UFO / Abduction author. Take what they say with a grain of salt, but at least give them some benefit of the doubt until they are proven liars.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by anarcy_56

I can't say I've read his stuff, but I saw his movie communion starring Christopher Walken which gave a great performance..

I don't see him as a 'big' scammer, I see him as someone that honestly wants to know the truth, but at the same time, he was a scifi writer before he had his 'abduction' experience, I know there were other eye witnesses to strange things happening at his cabin, but that cabin could be haunted.

I just don't see a scifi writer whose struggling automatically become the target of a supernatural event which is more interesting than the previous books which later boosts their book sales as being true, the same can be said about L. Ron Hubbard. I don't compare Whitley with the likes of L. Ron, but the parallel there is similar. They both wrote stuff that didn't make it on the best time sellers list, something drastically different happened with their writing style, and then they did become best time sellers, that drastic change I don't believe was supernatural in Whitley's case, and if it was maybe it was his imagination expanded from the events in the cabin, but I don't buy that he was abducted, I would lean towards the cabin possibly being haunted, so maybe something supernatural did happen, he has yet to get the 'implant' from his ear removed and tested.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join